• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Comments on the Bhagavad Gita from people you wouldn't think of

Riverwolf

Amateur Rambler / Proud Ergi
Premium Member
I always thought there were a variety of 'theisms' in Hinduism, such as polytheism, monotheism, henotheism, pantheism, panentheism, etc.

There are. Hinduism has all the varieties of theism, even atheism.

But polytheism apparently represents a majority of Hindus in India. But considering how vast Hinduism is (and how difficult it is to accurately define), I don't think it's a very large majority, especially taken with all the Hindus of the world.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
I see it both as polytheistic and monothesistic, but who really cares anyway. Just get out there and do good deeds.

K.Venugopal

Immobile Wanderer
The idea of "One God" is somewhat foreign to Hindu thought. Because Hindus never considered God as a countable object while all the time accepting that God can be expressed in countless ways. They say Hindus discovered zero and zero cannot be counted and yet it counts! Maybe that is why instead of saying there is One God Hindus have said there are 330 million Gods!

Last edited:

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
I still have not found a Hindu who is well educated in the scriptures who says he is polytheistic. Monistic, Monotheistic, even Atheistic maybe but not polytheistic.

I meant, I think he's saying westerners think Hinduism is polytheistic.

kaisersose

I still have not found a Hindu who is well educated in the scriptures who says he is polytheistic.

Have you met a Hindu who is *not* educated in scripture say he is polytheistic?

Anyway, this discussion is out of place here as we do not have even representation.

Riverwolf

Amateur Rambler / Proud Ergi
Premium Member
Have you met a Hindu who is *not* educated in scripture say he is polytheistic?

Anyway, this discussion is out of place here as we do not have even representation.

And considering the vastness of Hinduism, we never will.