• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

computer help, password protection for files.

Mike182

Flaming Queer
hi all!

i have a question... i have some word and excell documents that i want to keep in a password protected file on my computer, but i can't see an option to password protect individual files. is this possible to do?

erasmo

You can hide the file so that only you can find it if you know the name it is possible for someone to stumble upon it but unlikly not sure about passwords though gotta do some digging...to hide it go to properties when you right click it in windows explorer and select hidden in atributes sorry ill post later if i find how to do the passwords...

ps try geekstogo.com they have a irc chat

Ciscokid

hi all!

i have a question... i have some word and excell documents that i want to keep in a password protected file on my computer, but i can't see an option to password protect individual files. is this possible to do?

Go to Tools and then Protection within the excel doc.

Kungfuzed

Student Nurse
I don't know if this is available for Windows, but I use an encryption utility called ccrypt. It encrypts the files with a password and I use it with Debian Linux. It works from the command line.

Ciscokid

Windows does have built in encryption you can turn on, on a file or folder basis etc.[Windows XP/Vista].

erasmo

Go to Tools and then Protection within the excel doc.

*Warning*
Others can still see your document when you do this, this makes it read-only, it can't be modified but it can still be viewed by anyone without the password.

ps. linux is freaking awesome