• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

COmputer True and Falses..

Malus 12:9

Temporarily Deactive.
I have spoken to many computer/web illiterate people and I composed this from some of their questions. Test yourself :)

1)Your pc is being rather slow while browsing. A box appears in your page saying "Speed up your PC NOW! FREE! Download now!" It is a reliable ad. True or False.

2)All programs from Microsoft are reliable and trusted, and if you stick to them, you will be error free. True or
False.

3)I have an Antivirus software so I won't get a virus. True or False.

4)Forward emails can spread worms. True or false.

5)I can't see any viruses or see any issues, so I have never had a problem with trojan/virii. I must never have been infected. True or false.

6)I need a decent firewall/Antivirus/Antispyware. True/False.

7)Updating my AV/AS is important. T/F

8)All AV/AS programs to download are good and work. T/F

9)Windows Messenger is the same as MSN Messenger. T/F

10)Windows Firewall makes my pc unhackable. T/F

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
It's My Birthday!
Malus01 said:
I have spoken to many computer/web illiterate people and I composed this from some of their questions. Test yourself :)

1)Your pc is being rather slow while browsing. A box appears in your page saying "Speed up your PC NOW! FREE! Download now!" It is a reliable ad. True or False.
Don't fall for it!

2)All programs from Microsoft are reliable and trusted, and if you stick to them, you will be error free. True or False.
:biglaugh:

Well, it will help, but there are no guarantees.

True.

5)I can't see any viruses or see any issues, so I have never had a problem with trojan/virii. I must never have been infected. True or false.
If only it were that simple.

Again, these things are helpful, but not failproof. And to some extent, it depends on how you use your computer.

True.

Nope.

False.

In your dreams. But it will help.

ChrisP

Veteran Member
1)Your pc is being rather slow while browsing. A box appears in your page saying "Speed up your PC NOW! FREE! Download now!" It is a reliable ad. F

2)All programs from Microsoft are reliable and trusted, and if you stick to them, you will be error free. F

3)I have an Antivirus software so I won't get a virus. F

4)Forward emails can spread worms. T

5)I can't see any viruses or see any issues, so I have never had a problem with trojan/virii. I must never have been infected. F

6)I need a decent firewall/Antivirus/Antispyware. T

7)Updating my AV/AS is important. T

8)All AV/AS programs to download are good and work. F

9)Windows Messenger is the same as MSN Messenger. More or less.

10)Windows Firewall makes my pc unhackable. F

OMigosh, who are these newbies you're talking to Malus. The internet's been like this for about 5 years now.

The Black Whirlwind

Malus01 said:

2)All programs from Microsoft are reliable and trusted, and if you stick to them, you will be error free. True or
False.

1-3 false

4 true

5 false

6-7 true

8-10 false

Ryan2065

Malus01 said:
1)Your pc is being rather slow while browsing. A box appears in your page saying "Speed up your PC NOW! FREE! Download now!" It is a reliable ad.
Quite true! Those programs are so reliable.. they fix your computer fast!

Malus01 said:
2)All programs from Microsoft are reliable and trusted, and if you stick to them, you will be error free.
Very true, espically if you own a MAC!

Malus01 said:
3)I have an Antivirus software so I won't get a virus.
Agreed, it is about as reliable as the Polio Vaccination!

Malus01 said:
4)Forward emails can spread worms.
No they can't... Only mail through the US Post Office can spread worms... Silly Malus...

Malus01 said:
5)I can't see any viruses or see any issues, so I have never had a problem with trojan/virii. I must never have been infected.
True, besides, I downloaded the stuff from number 1, so I'm safe!

Malus01 said:
6)I need a decent firewall/Antivirus/Antispyware.
False, windows is flawless!

Malus01 said:
7)Updating my AV/AS is important.
False! I don't even have a program called AV/AS... ha! trick question!

Malus01 said:
8)All AV/AS programs to download are good and work.
Why would there be more than one program called AV/AS? But then again, the more programs I download the better, so True!

Malus01 said:
9)Windows Messenger is the same as MSN Messenger.
Like, duh! True!

Malus01 said:
10)Windows Firewall makes my pc unhackable.
Agreed! Cheers to windows and their flawlessness!

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber & Business Owner
Just as true as a rainbow that is black.

2)All programs from Microsoft are reliable and trusted, and if you stick to them, you will be error free. True or False.[/QUOTE] *caugh*BULLS**T*hack*

3)I have an Antivirus software so I won't get a virus. True or False. [/QUOTE] Only if it was updated 2 seconds ago.

4)Forward emails can spread worms. True or false. [/QUOTE] Only if the fowarded email contains a worm.

5)I can't see any viruses or see any issues, so I have never had a problem with trojan/virii. I must never have been infected. True or false. [/QUOTE] Just wait for the problem. If someone like me finds a trojan on your computer, you will recieve the message "The Matrix has you....."

6)I need a decent firewall/Antivirus/Antispyware. True/False. [/quote] Well, you don't NEED one, but you certainly do if you want you computer to be performing well.

7)Updating my AV/AS is important. T/F [/quote] It is only important if you care about pc performance.

8)All AV/AS programs to download are good and work. T/F [/quote] My sister had some pop-up blocker program that was very selective about what it blocked. She actually paid for it too....wait, wrong software.

9)Windows Messenger is the same as MSN Messenger. T/F [/QUOTE] A quick lesson. This is a very important, non-sarcastic response. WINDOWS MESSENGER AND MSN MESSENGER ARE NOT THE SAME! MSN Messenger is MSN's instant messenger program. Windows Messenger is a program that is very easy to use as an add-ware. The only thing I have seen come from it are very annoying pop-ups that traditional pop-up blockers CANNOT block, due to a completly different type of programing. If you are being plagued by these pop-ups, which will appear as a message box, such as an error box, PM me and I will tell you how to safly disable it.

Maybe unhackable with the ax in my garage, due to your computer being far away from me, but not from my obsolete and very rusty hacking abilites.

Unedited

1. F

2. F

3. F

4. T

5. F

6. F

Reason why you don't need one:
You don't have a computer.
You don't go on the internet at all.
You enjoy completely restoring your operating system every month like I do. :D

7. T

8. F

9. F

10. F

Do I get frubals now?

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Malus01 said:
I have spoken to many computer/web illiterate people and I composed this from some of their questions. Test yourself
:)

garbage; they are trying to sell you something............
False.
I know you hate Microsoft, so I can cheat and say false
False; if you don't keep your definitions up to date
True
You are living in cloud cukoo land
True

True
False
False
False

Saw11_2000

Malus01 said:

False.

1.F
2.F
3.F
4.T
5.F
6.F, you don't NEED them, but it's a good idea.
7.T
8.F
9.F Windows messenger are those annoying pop-ups on your desktop from IP addresses, MSN Messenger, is MSN's messenger and is not related to Windows Messenger. Windows messenger has been disabled by SP2.
10.Wayyyyyyyy F. Windows firewall does not even provide outbound detection.

Fluffy

A fool
9.F Windows messenger are those annoying pop-ups on your desktop from IP addresses, MSN Messenger, is MSN's messenger and is not related to Windows Messenger. Windows messenger has been disabled by SP2.
I thought Windows messenger was the version of MSN messenger that comes bundled with XP. It doesn't seem to be supported and is basically inferior in every way to the full MSN version.

ChrisP

Veteran Member
Fluffy said:
I thought Windows messenger was the version of MSN messenger that comes bundled with XP. It doesn't seem to be supported and is basically inferior in every way to the full MSN version.
That's pretty much the nail being hit on the head.

GG WinDoze

Temporarily Deactive.
Looks like I caught all the decent users. Who fell for this:

stop+messenger+popup+spam.gif

:biglaugh:

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
SnaleSpace said:
That's pretty much the nail being hit on the head.

GG WinDoze
What annoys me is that I can't seem to uninstall it.....I do, but it regularly reappears..

Temporarily Deactive.
michel said:
What annoys me is that I can't seem to uninstall it.....I do, but it regularly reappears..
How do you go about it MICH? Under Start>Run. Type MSCONFIG and under the startuptab selecting "msmsgs" ?

Under the Services tab (under msconfig) Scrolling
down to Messenger and untick it?

Saw11_2000

I believe it's services.msc in the Run box and it's something like Windows messenger.

If you have Windows XP SP2 it's disabled by default.

Also, go to grc.com if you're still having problems and try shoot the messenger.

Saw11_2000

If you guys want to see something that will really scare you, go here.

http://www.firewallleaktester.com/
Try to run all the tests and see if your firewall blocks the stuff. Try Wallbreaker and Copycat especially. I believe TMIS2005 did stop the Copycat on my system, but the AV detected it as a possible trojan, rather than the firewall detecting it as an outbound connection.

Scary huh?