• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Concern for meaning in life

Here until I storm off again
Premium Member
Why are so many people concerned about life having a specific purpose? Each one of us is one life on one planet in one solar system in one galaxy in possibly only one of many universes. What purpose could we possibly serve other that as a small little piece of the machine?

I am curious as to why people need there to be a set meaning. Why do people need a specific purpose? How come they cannot just pick their own course throughout life? I do not understand why some rely so much on a guiding hand, something to tell them what to do and how to do it. Is it natural for us to want to have some big, important purpose?

Do these people realize that if all life on earth ended right now, it would make almost absolutely no difference to the universe, the cosmos, and especially not to the underlying force of existence?

Discuss.

punkdbass

I will be what I will be
The way I see it, ether you can believe the roots of everything here today is complete coincidence or random chance, or you can believe there is purpose. You can either believe the question "why is there something, rather than nothing" has an answer, or it doesn't.

I think for a lot of people, getting through life would be a lot harder if they believed there was no inherent purpose or meaning for things, that everything we see is ultimately coincidental.

Just take a quick look at history and you will see that people in every generation strive for meaning and purpose. We as human beings want, and maybe even need these things in order to survive.

F0uad

Pundkbass had made some points and i agree on all of them. I would add that it also frees someone's mind of materialism and individualism.

Cordoba

Life is a journey, and each journey has a destination

If we don't know where we're heading, can we really have a good journey?

Or will it be an aimless, bumpy ride?

apophenia

In a sense biology is destiny. The 'meaning' of your life is necessarily built around the tendencies of your species, your human-ness. So you are concerned about family, friends, loved ones, and the systems which support those relationships. Even when people pursue meaning in obscure fields, the motivation is social - I doubt that anyone has ever researched a subject, or produced art, without any thought about the social significance of the work.

Even those who pursue mystical revelation, or enlightenment, busy themselves with communicating their experience to others, and being understood. In fact, even those who profess that there is no meaning at all are engaging in relationship with others by making that assertion.

The notion that there is a greater, 'cosmic' meaning is usually tied to a belief about how humans should live, and so also is anthropomorphic, based on human relationships, and simply using the reference to the divine or eternal to justify these beliefs about human social behaviour.

Cordoba

Life would be very sad if it's only about 70 or 80 years, and that's it ...

Surely there is more to it than that ...

If you look at the universe, we're talking about not millions of years, but billions ...

There must be more to life than simply those 80 years ...

The human body may perish after those years, but the human soul survives, and that's where (imo) the real dimension of the wider meaning of life is ...

It's the start of the next phase of our long journey when we see and understand what we can't now see

jarofthoughts

Empirical Curmudgeon

If you say so.

Absolutely.

Or will it be an aimless, bumpy ride?

Some of the best trips I've ever been to had no specific purpose besides enjoying myself. :)

Life would be very sad if it's only about 70 or 80 years, and that's it ...

I'm sorry you feel that way.

Surely there is more to it than that ...

There is no reason to think there is so I live my life as if that is what I get.

There must be more to life than simply those 80 years ...

Why? Because we think it should?
I'm pretty sure the universe cares very little for our opinion on the matter.

The human body may perish after those years, but the human soul survives, and that's where (imo) the real dimension of the wider meaning of life is ...

There is no reason to think such a thing as a human soul even exists.
Seems to me a waste to base one's life on that notion.

It's the start of the next phase of our long journey when we see and understand what we can't now see

I'm sorry you feel that way.

waitasec

Veteran Member
The way I see it, ether you can believe the roots of everything here today is complete coincidence or random chance, or you can believe there is purpose. You can either believe the question "why is there something, rather than nothing" has an answer, or it doesn't.
cool.
I think for a lot of people, getting through life would be a lot harder if they believed there was no inherent purpose or meaning for things, that everything we see is ultimately coincidental.
i agree. why is that do you suppose?
i think it's because the sense of being alone is scary.

Just take a quick look at history and you will see that people in every generation strive for meaning and purpose. We as human beings want, and maybe even need these things in order to survive.
meaning and purpose amongst ourselves i would say.

Premium Member

Are there not people who go absolutely nowhere in life? How is one supposed to know what the journey and destination actually are? Is it something we are ever aware of?

How are we supposed to know where we are heading? Who has the map?

Skwim

Veteran Member

And this is exactly why religions succeed: They help put people at ease; giving them a sense of security and hope. And it doesn't matter what the faith is composed of, logical or ludicrous, just as long as it's something people can use to "get through life" a little better.

Premium Member
Our creator informs us of our final destination

And He wants us to live a happy eternal life, but He gives us the choice, as He created us with free will

I've never been informed of my destination. When will this creator choose to make contact with me?

punkdbass

I will be what I will be
waitasec said:
i agree. why is that do you suppose?
i think it's because the sense of being alone is scary.

Ehh I dont think "the sense of being alone is scary" suffices for explaining why people want meaning and purpose. For example, I think there are many people who have wonderful family and friends, relationships, etc(dont feel alone at all) but still crave the meaning and purpose that religion often provides.

I used to be really, really agnostic about everything(still am about a lot of things). The way my brain works is you could literally give me ANY issue, and I would see multiple sides to the issue, with no way of knowing which one was the right one. No matter how crazy one stance on the issue was, I could always imagine arguments that might justify it. This was kind of a depressing time for me because I felt like no matter what I did there was simply no way to know if what I was doing was right, or if the path I was on was good. And then one day I had an epiphany that although everything always has a counterargument, God is the one exception. God is the one thing that doesnt have a counter-side, He represents all objective truth that we strive to obtain.

So for me it wasnt a matter of feeling alone, but rather I felt like there had to be some sort of foundational truth in this world - which I think I've gotten closer to in becoming more religious.

Skwim said:
And this is exactly why religions succeed: They help put people at ease; giving them a sense of security and hope. And it doesn't matter what the faith is composed of, logical or ludicrous, just as long as it's something people can use to "get through life" a little better.

I agree that religions exceed because they often give people the meaning and purpose they crave. What I dont understand though, is how so many people(usually non-theists) think it should be easy to live a full, happy life without the need for these things. A lot of religious people I know went through some extremely tough, depressing times before coming to God.. I just think it's really ignorant to assume that we all should easily be able to be happy and live good lives without the kind of meaning and purpose religion provides. Life isnt easy, and ironically, many of the non-theists that make these kind of claims usually arent the happiest people - I realize this is 100% an opinion and I don't have any evidence for that statement, but I still think the point is relevant. So although the OP's original question was "Why are so many people concerned with life having a specific purpose," I think another good question to ask would be "Why do so many people assume we should easily be able to live a happy and full life without specific purpose?"

Last edited:

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
I don't ultimately require a meaning or purpose to pounder over albiet I do this time to time, yet rather I try to live a quality existence as humanly possible which provides experiential meaning moment to moment..

waitasec

Veteran Member
Ehh I dont think "the sense of being alone is scary" suffices for explaining why people want meaning and purpose. For example, I think there are many people who have wonderful family and friends, relationships, etc(dont feel alone at all) but still crave the meaning and purpose that religion often provides.

I used to be really, really agnostic about everything(still am about a lot of things). The way my brain works is you could literally give me ANY issue, and I would see multiple sides to the issue, with no way of knowing which one was the right one. No matter how crazy one stance on the issue was, I could always imagine arguments that might justify it. This was kind of a depressing time for me because I felt like no matter what I did there was simply no way to know if what I was doing was right, or if the path I was on was good. And then one day I had an epiphany that although everything always has a counterargument, God is the one exception. God is the one thing that doesnt have a counter-side, He represents all objective truth that we strive to obtain.

So for me it wasnt a matter of feeling alone, but rather I felt like there had to be some sort of foundational truth in this world - which I think I've gotten closer to in becoming more religious.

i can certainly appreciate that, i just want to add that finding truth and meaning isn't exclusive to religion or belief in god either...

what i meant to say is, it's sort of like the realization of loosing your parents...all along you had this unshakeable support system but then, when they're gone, you're on your own and now it's you and only you...that isn't an easy thing to face or a welcomed realization

ron4711

When I was in college I backpacked through Europe. It was a trip of dicovery, I met many wonderful people and saw most of the major sights and many offbeat things. I also saw these giant busses taking tourists on preplanned trips where all meals and attractions were included. I think religion is like that, you pay your fee and get a guided tour. The problem is that you see those sight that are important to the tour guide.

waitasec

Veteran Member
When I was in college I backpacked through Europe. It was a trip of dicovery, I met many wonderful people and saw most of the major sights and many offbeat things. I also saw these giant busses taking tourists on preplanned trips where all meals and attractions were included. I think religion is like that, you pay your fee and get a guided tour. The problem is that you see those sight that are important to the tour guide.

well said...