• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Concern for meaning in life

dawny0826

Mother Heathen
Why are so many people concerned about life having a specific purpose? Each one of us is one life on one planet in one solar system in one galaxy in possibly only one of many universes. What purpose could we possibly serve other that as a small little piece of the machine?

I am curious as to why people need there to be a set meaning. Why do people need a specific purpose? How come they cannot just pick their own course throughout life? I do not understand why some rely so much on a guiding hand, something to tell them what to do and how to do it. Is it natural for us to want to have some big, important purpose?

Do these people realize that if all life on earth ended right now, it would make almost absolutely no difference to the universe, the cosmos, and especially not to the underlying force of existence?

Discuss.

Not everyone needs specific purpose. And many do choose their own path, without regard to any higher power or guidance.

I think many people, myself included, like the concept of a purpose-driven, meaningful, life, but so many define this differently. I want to live a life that reflects positively to others and I want to accomplish specific goals. Though I choose to lean on a higher power and accept that a higher power a source of guidance and direction, I'm still setting my own goals and making decisions for myself.

If my life ended today, I'd want to know that I made a difference in the life of others, particularly my loved ones and I hope that when my time comes, I go happy.

arthra

Baha'i

I am curious as to why people need there to be a set meaning. Why do people need a specific purpose? How come they cannot just pick their own course throughout life?Discuss.

I think as human beings maturing in life we reach a point where we ask questions and seek answers... and we do "pick our own course" in life! That's the whole idea!

When you grow up you have a series of decisions to make in life..

What career you enter.. What way of life you choose... What meaning you will adopt in life to explain life and death and the human condition.. All of these choices are in front of us..

I think when I was around twenty five years old or so ..I reached a cross roads and had to choose... and did the best I could. I entered a career of helping people... became a Baha'i..married and both my wife and I chose to have children and have a family...All these choices in life have influenced me later..and they influenced my wife and children.

Looking back on it I don't think I'd change much...and that makes my later years even more satisfying! ;)

Last edited:

no-body

That life is inherently meaningless is actually a huge positive when you start the shift in consciousness that comes with spirituality. There is nothing to seek, nowhere to arrive, everything is already complete at this moment right here and now. Because meaningless means it is totally meaningful.

True there is a world of form outside of this where what you do does matter but you will face a lot of suffering and cause a lot of suffering if you do not balance. We are all ultimately going to die making us all equal in the end. The measures of success and purpose that society adhere to are completely illusory and unimportant. When I say this people think I must be talking about nihilism and hedonism but I disagree.

You can still enjoy the material world for itself but you no longer define yourself by it. If you wake up tomorrow and lose it all (which could very well happen at any time to anybody) you will still have inner peace.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
I don't think finding meaning in life is nearly as important as finding "happiness" or, more precisely, eudaimonia.

Aristotle somewhere says that you will find your happiness (eudaimonia) in life at the junction where your talents and skills meet the needs of the world.

I think Aristotle was onto something. It seems to me I have been "happiest" in life when I was doing pretty much exactly that: Employing my talents and skills in ways that meet the needs of the world. I would add, though, that in my experience, talents and skills must meet the needs of the world in a socially responsible manner.

punkdbass

I will be what I will be
i can certainly appreciate that, i just want to add that finding truth and meaning isn't exclusive to religion or belief in god either...

what i meant to say is, it's sort of like the realization of loosing your parents...all along you had this unshakeable support system but then, when they're gone, you're on your own and now it's you and only you...that isn't an easy thing to face or a welcomed realization

I completely agree that finding truth and meaning isnt exclusive to religion or belief in God. I believe as long as your a humanist of some sort, your on the right path. It's just for me personally, and many others, being a humanist isnt enough.. I need the meaning, spirituality, and fulfillment my religion provides for me in order to be happy and a good person.

Oh I see, now I understand what you mean. I agree that it would not be an easy thing to face the idea that we are alone in the sense that there is no God. But at the same time, as a theist I am simply not convinced that that is indeed the case.

InChrist

Free4ever
I've never been informed of my destination. When will this creator choose to make contact with me?

And you will seek Me and find Me, when you search for Me with all your heart. Jeremiah 29:13

I believe questions and thoughts concerning "the meaning of life" are hard-wired into humanity by the Creator in order to lead one to seek Him for answers.

The Sum of Awe

Brought to you by the moment that spacetime began.
Staff member
Premium Member
Why are so many people concerned about life having a specific purpose? Each one of us is one life on one planet in one solar system in one galaxy in possibly only one of many universes. What purpose could we possibly serve other that as a small little piece of the machine?

I am curious as to why people need there to be a set meaning. Why do people need a specific purpose? How come they cannot just pick their own course throughout life? I do not understand why some rely so much on a guiding hand, something to tell them what to do and how to do it. Is it natural for us to want to have some big, important purpose?

Do these people realize that if all life on earth ended right now, it would make almost absolutely no difference to the universe, the cosmos, and especially not to the underlying force of existence?

Discuss.

Exactly what I've been saying forever! You are getting fruballs!

The Sum of Awe

Staff member
Premium Member
The way I see it, ether you can believe the roots of everything here today is complete coincidence or random chance, or you can believe there is purpose. You can either believe the question "why is there something, rather than nothing" has an answer, or it doesn't.

I think for a lot of people, getting through life would be a lot harder if they believed there was no inherent purpose or meaning for things, that everything we see is ultimately coincidental.

Just take a quick look at history and you will see that people in every generation strive for meaning and purpose. We as human beings want, and maybe even need these things in order to survive.

We don't need these things, but some people hideously want them

waitasec

Veteran Member
And you will seek Me and find Me, when you search for Me with all your heart. Jeremiah 29:13

I believe questions and thoughts concerning "the meaning of life" are hard-wired into humanity by the Creator in order to lead one to seek Him for answers.

different answers...for different people.

Straw Dog

What do we mean by 'life' here? Just human life? There are a vast amount of different life forms that exist and that have ever existed. What purpose does a jellyfish have? What purpose does a tape worm have? They just are. Likewise, we just are. However, there can be meaning found within simply being.

I don't know that we can sit around and just think up "purpose". I think "purpose" is something that arises naturally through our interactions with society and the world. A simple example would be our relationships. I don't sit around and choose to find my relationship with my girlfriend to be meaningful. It just is meaningful via virtue of our interactions with one another. In a similar manner, we discover various personal meanings in our individual lives through interactions with others and nature. "Meaning" may be an abstract property, but it's foolish to deny that it exists. Whether it's relationships, pursuing goals, or investing in something greater than ourselves; we are very capable of discovering purpose in our lives.

It becomes imperative in the face of existential angst to invest in that which is greater than the self. This may be one's society and culture, but even that has limitations and impermanence. I find it eventually requires a sort of 'throwing back' to the rest of existence that spawned us into being to begin with and will continue on beyond us potentially into eternity. It requires a cultivation of cosmic consciousness so that we may accept things as they are and find our niche in the natural flow of being.

We are a microcosm in relation to the macrocosm. Life itself is a single system perpetuating inside through various forms and functions. There is one in many and there is many in one. We are individual within diversity and there is diversity within the individual. There is singularity within the equilibrium... etc. I don't know that we can really separate ourselves from the totality of being.

We just are and so it goes.

Last edited:

punkdbass

I will be what I will be
We don't need these things, but some people hideously want them

What makes you think "we" dont need these things? I just think its ignorant to assume man should easily be able to live a happy and full life without specific purpose.. when the reality is that many people over the course of their lives become stressed, frustrated, or even depressed because they lack meaning and purpose.

I'm well aware that there are plenty of non-religious people that live happy, full, good lives, but I just think it's really ignorant and impractical to assume that all of mankind should easily be able to do this.

The Sum of Awe

Staff member
Premium Member
What makes you think "we" dont need these things? I just think its ignorant to assume man should easily be able to live a happy and full life without specific purpose.. when the reality is that many people over the course of their lives become stressed, frustrated, or even depressed because they lack meaning and purpose.

I'm well aware that there are plenty of non-religious people that live happy, full, good lives, but I just think it's really ignorant and impractical to assume that all of mankind should easily be able to do this.

It's as easy as living life without God, now just living life without an inherit meaning.

Surely, we wouldn't mind making our own personal meaning.

But even that isn't needed.

waitasec

Veteran Member

how about...."could" meaning, being capable of...?
:)

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
It's as easy as living life without God, now just living life without an inherit meaning.

Surely, we wouldn't mind making our own personal meaning.

But even that isn't needed.
"Inherent meaning" has meaning. "Meaninglessness" is meaningful. It's not possible to live life without meaning--meaning is pretty much all we are.*

*Adam, going around the Garden naming things.

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member

Discuss.
"Small little piece of the machine" has meaning, both proportionally and functionally.

People--all people, even Buddhas--need there to be a "set" meaning because they need a world to support and uphold them in their existence, because there is a world that supports and upholds them in the existence, there is existence, and there is them. It's no more complicated than the idea that everything has meaning. We eat, sleep and poop--why do we eat, sleep and poop? We fall in love and get our hearts broken--why do we fall in love and get our hearts broken? There is a world--why is there a world? Why is there something rather than nothing? So, yes, it's natural to have some big important meaning.

To say that we are a speck in the world that wouldn't be missed is (meaningfully) to minimize us as much as saying that we are important to the world and would be missed is to maximize us. Both minimization and maximization are meaningful.

Equally meaningful.

Last edited:

punkdbass

I will be what I will be
how about...."could" meaning, being capable of...?
:)

ha yeah I agree man technically "could" live without those things, for many people do.. but on the otherhand I think its possible that there are a lot of people who simply can't live good, full lives without inherent meaning and purpose. In otherwords, I'm not so sure certain people are capable of living happily without those kinds of things.

And anyways, I often get the feeling that most of the non-theists I debate with here(and real life) are more-so saying that man should try to live without those things, rather than simply stating that he could.

LegionOnomaMoi

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Just take a quick look at history and you will see that people in every generation strive for meaning and purpose.

And then take a look at the diagnostic criteria for depression. Or at the writings of those (Nietzsche, Sartre, Camus, Freud, etc.) who have argued that life has no meaning (or something near enough to that) and how problematic they thought this could be. Freud just decided (apparently) that anyone who starts to think about meaning and purpose in life is neurotic or sick. Nietzsche, who was (contra Sartre) usually upbeat and optmistic about the realization that god and religion were no longer (or at least soon would no longer be) a plausible source for guidence and meaning in modern society, still recognized how dangerous and potentially catastrophic the true realization that there really is no point to anything can be. It's one thing to say "nothing ultimately matters" but to continue to act, think, and behave as if things do (which everybody who isn't close to suicide does). It's another to believe that nothing has any point whatsoever. They call that despair, as Sartre implicitly admits: On lui a d'abord reproché d'inviter les gens à demeurer dans un quiétisme du désespoir...

punkdbass

I will be what I will be
And then take a look at the diagnostic criteria for depression. Or at the writings of those (Nietzsche, Sartre, Camus, Freud, etc.) who have argued that life has no meaning (or something near enough to that) and how problematic they thought this could be. Freud just decided (apparently) that anyone who starts to think about meaning and purpose in life is neurotic or sick. Nietzsche, who was (contra Sartre) usually upbeat and optmistic about the realization that god and religion were no longer (or at least soon would no longer be) a plausible source for guidence and meaning in modern society, still recognized how dangerous and potentially catastrophic the true realization that there really is no point to anything can be. It's one thing to say "nothing ultimately matters" but to continue to act, think, and behave as if things do (which everybody who isn't close to suicide does). It's another to believe that nothing has any point whatsoever. They call that despair, as Sartre implicitly admits: On lui a d'abord reproché d'inviter les gens à demeurer dans un quiétisme du désespoir...

Great post, I agree completely. And when people imply that mankind could easily live happy, good lives without such things, I simply don't see the realistic or practical application of such an idea. History certainly doesnt agree with them, and I am by no means convinced things will be able to change anytime soon, if ever.

waitasec

Veteran Member
ha yeah I agree man technically "could" live without those things, for many people do.. but on the otherhand I think its possible that there are a lot of people who simply can't live good, full lives without inherent meaning and purpose. In otherwords, I'm not so sure certain people are capable of living happily without those kinds of things.

And anyways, I often get the feeling that most of the non-theists I debate with here(and real life) are more-so saying that man should try to live without those things, rather than simply stating that he could.

i think perpetuating this mentality perpetuates uncertainty in ones self, meaning they are not capable but a higher being gives them capability. it's ambiguous and it's not really clear who helps the alcoholic to not drink...
the higher power or their will.