• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Concerning the One True God:

joeboonda

I want to say RIGHT NOW, because from my past posts, it looks like I have it out for Christians.

That's partly true. I have it out for people who have never questioned their faith. I find that Christians do this quite a bit. As for other religions to talk about, I fear that I don't know enough to actually make a good argument or even question.

Honestly, if you are spiritually filled and blissfully happy with your faith, I do not aim my questions to offend you. I feel that people who have a reasonable mind, look at their faith with open eyes, and a little humor, have the best attitude, and subsequently, learn not to take me seriously as well. I'm sorry if I offended anyone.

Please, continue! :D
Nobody enjoys someone who has not seriuosly questioned and examined their faith as objectively as possible. When I was in my teens to my mid-twenties I did the same. I am 42 and well rooted and grounded in my faith because of this. It is because we have examined our faith, I mean, hey, we are gonna live and die and make life and eternal choices by it, that many of us do state that we believe this to be the truth and don't back down from it. Jesus Christ is the way or he is not, he died for our sins or he did not, Heaven and Hell are real or they are not. Jesus Christ died to keep us from Hell and I believe it. That's all i can say.

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
The question is, though, is the One True God that way because of the title? Or is it the One True Way because of it's essence? Is this One True God known, understood, worshipped, by other names?

If God can see into the hearts of mankind, how forgiving is he if a follower simply knows Christ by another name?

Hmmmmm, maybe we should revisit the parable of the blind men and the elephant. :)

Peace,
Mystic

logician

"The scriptures I posted simply say God is God and there is no other and that Jesus is the only way to God"

So what about the time before Jesus, and the billions who never heard of such a man because they live in a different culture, or the mentally defective?

joeboonda

The question is, though, is the One True God that way because of the title? Or is it the One True Way because of it's essence? Is this One True God known, understood, worshipped, by other names?

If God can see into the hearts of mankind, how forgiving is he if a follower simply knows Christ by another name?

Hmmmmm, maybe we should revisit the parable of the blind men and the elephant. :)

Peace,
Mystic
Missionaries have reported people living among others who worshipped pagan gods and had many vile practices, yet they did not participate. Although neveer having heard the Gospel, they understood they had a Creator from the creationa and knew when they did wrong from their conscience and could ask forgiveness of the Creator-whatever they may have called Him. I believe God forgives especially according to the light given them.

joeboonda

"The scriptures I posted simply say God is God and there is no other and that Jesus is the only way to God"

So what about the time before Jesus, and the billions who never heard of such a man because they live in a different culture, or the mentally defective?
I believe those before the cross looked forward to it as we look back. And those in another culture, I answered basically in the above thread. Of course God is merciful to the mentally defective or senile, etc. While there are people who have turned to their creator for forgiveness when they have felt the guilt of sin, the Bible says long ago that men knew God but turned from him to serve idols, worshipping the creation instead of the creator, their minds being darkened, and God gave them over to all sorts of vile lusts and practices. So how many have found favor with God by acknowledging God as creator and their conscience confessing their sins to him of all these we do not know. But the Good News, the Gospel is what was commanded to be told to all the world and then would come the end. This New Covenant, this Age of Grace is far better than what once was and is far desirable over any other revelation, for salvation is given freely to anyone who trusts Christ paid for their sins, no more wondering, no more guilt or shame or fear, but the peace and blessed assurance in knowing we did nothing to gain salvation and can do nothing to lose it once we have truly trusted in Christ to have saved us.

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
Missionaries have reported people living among others who worshipped pagan gods and had many vile practices, yet they did not participate. Although neveer having heard the Gospel, they understood they had a Creator from the creationa and knew when they did wrong from their conscience and could ask forgiveness of the Creator-whatever they may have called Him. I believe God forgives especially according to the light given them.

This is very encouraging, Mike. Thank you for sharing. :)

Peace,
Mystic

logician

You can believe whatever you want, but it doesn't jive with the Xian faith.

Hope

Princesinha
You can believe whatever you want, but it doesn't jive with the Xian faith.

I think Joeboonda, being an actual Christian---unlike yourself---would have a much better understanding of what "jives" with the Christian faith. :areyoucra

logician

I think Joeboonda, being an actual Christian---unlike yourself---would have a much better understanding of what "jives" with the Christian faith. :areyoucra

I was a xian for 18 years as a youth and have read the bible thru twice and more besides. I've heard more preachin than most people do in 2 lifetimes, so I think I know a little about Xianity.

Hope

Princesinha
I was a xian for 18 years as a youth and have read the bible thru twice and more besides. I've heard more preachin than most people do in 2 lifetimes, so I think I know a little about Xianity.

I would suggest that those who remain in the faith, and grow and mature in the faith, have more knowledge than those who try it out and then reject it. Years in the faith are meaningless, anyway. It's what you do with those years. Some people who have been Christians only a few years are far more spiritually mature than others who have been Christians all their lives.

vandervalley

I'm just asking one to consider the possibility that there really is one God, and if so, does the way He approach humanity according to the Jewish and Christian faiths make any sense.

If there is God then why does he give us free will and created a hell at the same time and send those who doesnt believe him to hell?

Does this mean he likes to see people go to hell? Obviously he kenw that some people would not believe in him if they are given free will

logician

If there is God then why does he give us free will and created a hell at the same time and send those who doesnt believe him to hell?

Does this mean he likes to see people go to hell? Obviously he kenw that some people would not believe in him if they are given free will

Thus the absurdity of this position. Also, considering the myriad of denominations of Xianity (we'll forget about all other religions, and atheists/agnostics) and their interpretation of what constitutes sin, and what sends you to hell, how could one really know the "correct" path.

Vassal

God gives free will because he wants people to choose him. How boring would it be if every time you asked a girl out she did not have the ability to say no? Part of the excitement when someone says yes is because they could have said no if they wanted to. It isn't God's fault that people choose to misuse freewill.

MaddLlama

Obstructor of justice
Ah, if only we could take the people who rejected us and torture them for eternity. That might make rejection a bit less painful (or, at least it would satisfy our need for revenge). :)

Buttons*

Glass half Panda'd
God gives free will because he wants people to choose him. How boring would it be if every time you asked a girl out she did not have the ability to say no? Part of the excitement when someone says yes is because they could have said no if they wanted to. It isn't God's fault that people choose to misuse freewill.

that's kind of a sick game to be playing with HELL as an alternative to God... but that's just my opinion :p

Buttons*

Glass half Panda'd
The point of this thread was:

Why should God even have to prove himself if he was the one and true god? If there was no one else, who would he be jealous of? Also, is jealousy a trait of an omnibenevolent God?

I cant imagine a supreme being with human features... unless we're talking greek gods

MaddLlama

Obstructor of justice
I don't think the point is that he's jealous of some other God, but rather he's jealous of things. As in, god is jealous if we don't make him the number one most important part of our lives every moment of the day.

Buttons*

Glass half Panda'd
I don't think the point is that he's jealous of some other God, but rather he's jealous of things. As in, god is jealous if we don't make him the number one most important part of our lives every moment of the day.

What a nice guy :D

Seems a bit needy