• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Confession: I am a lowdown sneaky conniving atheist.

That's just me personally speaking about me and not all of my fellow atheists. You see, I am an atheist when it comes to Hellenic beliefs and I don't know if Zeus exists or not. I don't debate it or go out marching against Greek mythology being taught in schools. Some people actually believe in the Greek myths and good for them. Vive la difference. For me the diversity of beliefs and worldviews is what makes life interesting. So long as no one's hurt and one is at peace with themselves, let a thousand flowers bloom, I say! For me to oppose or argue against Greek myths just because I am a Zeus atheist would be absurd and ridiculous. It’s like quarreling with your cat about the existence of cheese because your cat doesn’t share your belief in cheese. It’s not just unproductive, it’s nonsensical. It's especially absurd if your cat has a mouse in his mouth. So, I try to avoid it. That said many people try to validate their beliefs or disbeliefs by arguing with the cat. I choose to believe what I believe because it gives me pleasure. It's that simple and I don't find evidence necessary. I don't have to present evidence of why I like cream soda do I? I don't need anyone to validate my personal beliefs in God. It's between me and God and of course Zeus. As long as I am not picking someone's pocket; what I believe shouldn't bother anyone. So I just can't figure why some just can't get the deal about diversity of opinion and belief. Why do some insist that my thinking is wrong when it's perfect for me and I just like cream soda? It just doesn't make a lick of sense. Hopefully Zeus wasn't offended by my post and I will be investing in a lightning rod.

danieldemol

Premium Member
I'd just like to note that although I'm on the theistic leaning side of the debate divide, we probably shouldn't be teaching a singular religion in schools because that would counter the diversity the OP claims to love in my view.

This then creates a problem in my opinion, with religions being as diverse as the humans are, one would have to either cover them extremely superficially or start assigning weight to which ones should be taught in depth.

Teaching them too superficially would lead to people drawing wrong conclusions about them like Baha'i do in my view, whilst assigning weight to them would run counter to diversity as I see it. So better to leave religion out of school and let those interested pursue it to the degree they see fit to avoid these kind of problems.

I'd just like to note that although I'm on the theistic leaning side of the debate divide, we probably shouldn't be teaching a singular religion in schools because that would counter the diversity the OP claims to love in my view.

This then creates a problem in my opinion, with religions being as diverse as the humans are, one would have to either cover them extremely superficially or start assigning weight to which ones should be taught in depth.

Teaching them too superficially would lead to people drawing wrong conclusions about them like Baha'i do in my view, whilst assigning weight to them would run counter to diversity as I see it. So better to leave religion out of school and let those interested pursue it to the degree they see fit to avoid these kind of problems.
Teach diversity then. Or keep Greek myths out of my schools.

danieldemol

Premium Member
Teach diversity then. Or keep Greek myths out of my schools.
I have no problem teaching diversity, that could be covered in a single sentence.

"Religions are as diverse as the people that made them, therefore to the extent they do no demonstrable harm it is fine to follow their teachings" in my view.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
That's just me personally speaking about me and not all of my fellow atheists. You see, I am an atheist when it comes to Hellenic beliefs and I don't know if Zeus exists or not. I don't debate it or go out marching against Greek mythology being taught in schools. Some people actually believe in the Greek myths and good for them. Vive la difference. For me the diversity of beliefs and worldviews is what makes life interesting. So long as no one's hurt and one is at peace with themselves, let a thousand flowers bloom, I say! For me to oppose or argue against Greek myths just because I am a Zeus atheist would be absurd and ridiculous. It’s like quarreling with your cat about the existence of cheese because your cat doesn’t share your belief in cheese. It’s not just unproductive, it’s nonsensical. It's especially absurd if your cat has a mouse in his mouth. So, I try to avoid it.

And yet here you are, bothering us with your beliefs. Do you not find it unproductive, nonsensical?

That said many people try to validate their beliefs or disbeliefs by arguing with the cat. I choose to believe what I believe because it gives me pleasure. It's that simple and I don't find evidence necessary. I don't have to present evidence of why I like cream soda do I? I don't need anyone to validate my personal beliefs in God.

Then why post your beliefs on a forum? You must be seeking some form of validation even if only that of being able to express them openly. Are you not expressing your beliefs in defiance of what others would believe? That it is perfectly ok to attack someone else's belief that they choose to publicly express.

It's between me and God and of course Zeus.

Well, no, not anymore since you publicly expressed them. It's between you, any deity that might exist and anyone who reads the OP. You can't really post your belief and expect absolutely no criticism of it. The only way to guarantee that is to not post your belief in the first place.

As long as I am not picking someone's pocket; what I believe shouldn't bother anyone. So I just can't figure why some just can't get the deal about diversity of opinion and belief. Why do some insist that my thinking is wrong when it's perfect for me and I just like cream soda? It just doesn't make a lick of sense. Hopefully Zeus wasn't offended by my post and I will be investing in a lightning rod.

If your thinking is right for you then why post about it. Why bother anyone else with your beliefs if you are only concerned with it being right for you?

PureX

Veteran Member
I think a good solution would be to teach kids ABOUT religion without teaching them any specific religious dogma. A general overview does not need to include any threats or admonishments to join. Much better would be to focus on religion's relationship to culture, phychology, and civics.

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member
That's just me personally speaking about me and not all of my fellow atheists. You see, I am an atheist when it comes to Hellenic beliefs and I don't know if Zeus exists or not. I don't debate it or go out marching against Greek mythology being taught in schools. Some people actually believe in the Greek myths and good for them. Vive la difference. For me the diversity of beliefs and worldviews is what makes life interesting. So long as no one's hurt and one is at peace with themselves, let a thousand flowers bloom, I say! For me to oppose or argue against Greek myths just because I am a Zeus atheist would be absurd and ridiculous. It’s like quarreling with your cat about the existence of cheese because your cat doesn’t share your belief in cheese. It’s not just unproductive, it’s nonsensical. It's especially absurd if your cat has a mouse in his mouth. So, I try to avoid it. That said many people try to validate their beliefs or disbeliefs by arguing with the cat. I choose to believe what I believe because it gives me pleasure. It's that simple and I don't find evidence necessary. I don't have to present evidence of why I like cream soda do I? I don't need anyone to validate my personal beliefs in God. It's between me and God and of course Zeus. As long as I am not picking someone's pocket; what I believe shouldn't bother anyone. So I just can't figure why some just can't get the deal about diversity of opinion and belief. Why do some insist that my thinking is wrong when it's perfect for me and I just like cream soda? It just doesn't make a lick of sense. Hopefully Zeus wasn't offended by my post and I will be investing in a lightning rod.
The reason is diversity of opinion and belief, not all people are like you, some have a need to have their opinions and beliefs validated, some need to constantly challenge others, some just want to be heard. There are many reasons why people are the way they are and that never going to change. The biggest challenge we all have is that we care about what others think about us. We are social creatures and need others to some extent, but those others are not like us and require at least some compromise of our opinions and beliefs. Not everybody but there are at least some people in your life that you care about their opinions and beliefs of you.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
I choose to believe what I believe because it gives me pleasure. It's that simple and I don't find evidence necessary.

That is literally thoughtless, egocentric, and likely untrue -- unless, of course, you skip through the world in a state of cognitive disconnect. In any event, I hope what gives you pleasure is ethical.

I don't have to present evidence of why I like cream soda do I?

Where did this "have to" come from? Some believe that presenting evidence for a claim made is an ethical responsibility but, beyond that, there is no responsibility for you to present much of anything.

Madsaac

The difference could be that Zeus doesn't try and influence todays laws and society unlike other religions.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Unlike the Hellenic religion, Christianity seeks to impose
their beliefs upon us us non-believers. Things I've
experienced at their hands.....
- Evading the draft for a war in which they wanted to
kill "godless" communists.
- Having to request a secular oath in court, in order
to avoid swearing to their God. Problem is that this
tells them that I'm a heathen, & could inflame their
prejudice against us.
- Paying property taxes for fire fighting, roads, etc
for churches....since they don't pay.
- Coerced prayer in public school.
- Being told I serve Satan, & am going to Hell.

Other people have experienced other oppression,
eg, denial of bodily autonomy.

Thus it's perfectly reasonable for us to oppose
Christian Dominionists & their antics.

Madsaac

Unlike the Hellenic religion, Christianity seeks to impose
their beliefs upon us us non-believers. Things I've
experienced at their hands.....
- Evading the draft for a war in which they wanted to
kill "godless" communists.
- Having to request a secular oath in court, in order
to avoid swearing to their God. Problem is that this
tells them that I'm a heathen, & could inflame their
prejudice against us.
- Paying property taxes for fire fighting, roads, etc
for churches....since they don't pay.
- Coerced prayer in public school.
- Being told I serve Satan, & am going to Hell.

Other people have experienced other oppression,
eg, denial of bodily autonomy.

Thus it's perfectly reasonable for us to oppose
Christian Dominionists & their antics.
That's what I said, sort of :)

HonestJoe

I don't debate it or go out marching against Greek mythology being taught in schools.
That's because ancient Greek theology isn't being taught in schools, it is only taught about in schools. If ancient Greek theology was being actually being promoted in schools (especially state-run schools) there would inevitably be protests in most developed countries, and in several it would be explicitly prohibited if not illegal.

In general, you are presumably trying to highlight that subset of atheists who make a big noise about it and directly push against dominant religions (which in a lot of places happens to be Christianity). Of course, a similar proportion of theists behave very similarly, promoting their faith in society and attacking alternatives (be they other faiths, non-believers or even just slightly different interpretations of their own).

This can be falsely conflated with various expressions of secularism, which is ultimately about treating everyone equally regardless of their actual, purported or perceived theological or religious beliefs. Obviously, those of religions with existing social or political influence or dominance can perceive that as a targeted attack when it is typically nothing of the sort.