• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Confession

kepha31

Confession if sins to the priest began with God's commands to the Jews.

Lev. 5:4-6; 19:21-22. God used priests to forgive and atone for the sins of others.

Num. 5:7 - this shows the historical practice of publicly confessing sins, and making public restitution.

2 Sam. 12:14 - even though the sin is forgiven, there is punishment due for the forgiven sin. David is forgiven but his child was still taken (the consequence of his sin).

Neh. 9:2-3 - the Israelites stood before the assembly and confessed sins publicly and interceded for each other.

Matt. 9:8 - this verse shows that God has given the authority to forgive sins to "men." Hence, those Protestants who acknowledge that the apostles had the authority to forgive sins (which this verse demonstrates) must prove that this gift ended with the apostles. Otherwise, the apostles' successors still possess this gift. Where in Scripture is the gift of authority to forgive sins taken away from the apostles or their successors?

Matt. 9:6; Mark 2:10 - Christ forgave sins as a man (not God) to convince us that the "Son of man" has authority to forgive sins on earth.

Luke 5:24 - Luke also points out that Jesus' authority to forgive sins is as a man, not God. The Gospel writers record this to convince us that God has given this authority to men. This authority has been transferred from Christ to the apostles and their successors.
Matt. 18:18 - the apostles are given authority to bind and loose. The authority to bind and loose includes administering and removing the temporal penalties due to sin. The Jews understood this since the birth of the Church.
http://www.scripturecatholic.com/confession.html
If your church does not have confession, then go to a therapist or see the minister for pastoral counselling or go directly to God. Confessing to a priest is for Catholics/Orthodox. Criticizing the Church for a 2000 year old practice isn't very nice.

Do not come to prayer with a guilty conscience."
Epistle of Barnabas, 19:12 (A.D. 74).

“In church confess your sins, and do not come to your prayer with a guilt conscience. Such is the Way of Life...On the Lord's own day, assemble in common to break bread and offer thanks; but first confess your sins, so that your sacrifice may be pure."
Didache, 4:14,14:1 (c. A.D. 90).

"Moreover, it is in accordance with reason that we should return to soberness[of conduct], and, while yet we have opportunity, exercise repentance towards God. It is well to reverence both God and the bishop."
Ignatius, Epistle to the Smyraeans, 9 (c. A.D. 110).

Last edited:

IsmailaGodHasHeard

I do not believe that we are forgiven our sins by confessing to our mere mortal human. The only Man that can forgive all of our sins is Jesus.

kepha31

All human beings are redeemed by the blood of Jesus, but it is up to us whether or not we want to receive and keep this gift.

"Remember that Jesus said from the cross, "Father, forgive them; for they know not what they do" (Lk 23:34). What did his sacrifice on the cross have to do with those who mocked him, spit at him, and crucified him? In other words, what did it have to do with those for whom he was asking forgiveness from God the Father? The answer is: everything. For some, it was through ignorance that they crucified him, and invincible ignorance can diminish one’s culpability for evil done—even the crucifixion of our Savior. They still could be saved, or Jesus’ plea for their forgiveness to the Father would make no sense. Whoever enters heaven will do so only because of Christ and his sacrificial work on the cross. Some people may enter heaven having never heard of Christ, but it will be because of him that they enter."
Catholic Answers: This Rock: Quick Questions: Redemption

islam abduallah

i don't know if somebody asked that before or not, but if it's forgiven why you have to go to the priest asking for forgiveness

kepha31

In the Sacrament of Reconciliation, Jesus provides us with a way of being reconciled to God and to those we've hurt, and to be strengthened in our connection to God's entire family. This is more than symbolic; it is spiritual reality expressed through ritual.

Human beings need rituals and ceremonies to celebrate the important moments in life. But its not magic. There has to be the right intent along with the form.

islam abduallah

again i don't have any objection to go church for reconciliation and to admit to the priest by your sin and listen to his advice my objection only is asking for forgiveness although that it's already forgiven
let's phrase it in another form, if i don't go to the church and asked for forgiveness, are my sins forgiven or not?

kepha31

Yes, your sins are forgiven, but you don't hear the words of absolution without the sacrament. It is not a question of one being no good and the other being no good. It's a question of one being good, and the other being better. A person who has a need of a psychotherapist would not go and talk to a card-board cut-out of a therapist, they go to another human being who is qualified to provide therapy. God works through other people.

kepha31

Yes. Asking for forgiveness is good, but reconciliation is better. Good/better. One does not exclude the other. I think it is better to actually hear that you are forgiven by a representative of the Church. If a person is in need of a psychotherapist they don't go to a cardboard cut-out of a therapist, they go to a qualified human being. God knows we need other people during important moments of our lives. Human beings are designed to have ritual. It's the way we are made. Priests are qualified by virtue of their office to hear and absolve sins in the name of the Church and it is very comforting to hear.

"If Jesus has set up a way for us to draw near to him and receive his grace, why should we prefer another route? We would be like the three-year-old with his father who, in a rush to get home from the store, begins to run. "Let me pick you up," the father offers. The child says, "No, Dad. I’m fast. Just watch me." It takes them much longer to get home because the child’s pride prevents him from accepting his father’s help. Likewise, God does hear us when we ask for forgiveness, but it is dangerous and often prideful to stay away from what the saints call the "medicine box"—the confessional. Why would a person wish to overcome their sins alone when they have the God-given power of the apostles’ successors at their disposal?"
How to Defend the Sacrament of Confession (This Rock: October/November/December 2001)

Pegg

Jehovah our God is One
Yes. Asking for forgiveness is good, but reconciliation is better. Good/better. One does not exclude the other. I think it is better to actually hear that you are forgiven by a representative of the Church. If a person is in need of a psychotherapist they don't go to a cardboard cut-out of a therapist, they go to a qualified human being. God knows we need other people during important moments of our lives. Human beings are designed to have ritual. It's the way we are made. Priests are qualified by virtue of their office to hear and absolve sins in the name of the Church and it is very comforting to hear.

"If Jesus has set up a way for us to draw near to him and receive his grace, why should we prefer another route? We would be like the three-year-old with his father who, in a rush to get home from the store, begins to run. "Let me pick you up," the father offers. The child says, "No, Dad. I’m fast. Just watch me." It takes them much longer to get home because the child’s pride prevents him from accepting his father’s help. Likewise, God does hear us when we ask for forgiveness, but it is dangerous and often prideful to stay away from what the saints call the "medicine box"—the confessional. Why would a person wish to overcome their sins alone when they have the God-given power of the apostles’ successors at their disposal?"
How to Defend the Sacrament of Confession (This Rock: October/November/December 2001)

can the church forgive a person of all sins?

islam abduallah

Yes, your sins are forgiven, but you don't hear the words of absolution without the sacrament. It is not a question of one being no good and the other being no good. It's a question of one being good, and the other being better. A person who has a need of a psychotherapist would not go and talk to a card-board cut-out of a therapist, they go to another human being who is qualified to provide therapy. God works through other people.

no i heard the words of absolution when i read the bible, that jesus was killed for my sins, what i need more?? nothing this is the word of god did i need more that the word of god??? surly not..

and to go to church asking for therapy who guides me in future is very good to tell me what i shall to do to avoid that in future this is a perfect relation between the church and it's followers but to go for forgiveness what's the need, yet i didn't understand the cause except the biblical verse

JacobEzra.

Dr. Greenthumb
again i don't have any objection to go church for reconciliation and to admit to the priest by your sin and listen to his advice my objection only is asking for forgiveness although that it's already forgiven
let's phrase it in another form, if i don't go to the church and asked for forgiveness, are my sins forgiven or not?

With perfect contrition yes. But the grace will lead you to confession.

kepha31

Protestants are forgiven when they meet the biblical requirements for repentance according to their understanding, but they miss out on the full benefits of the sacrament as properly practiced by Catholics.

Christina83

Chrissie
God does not authorize men to forgive sins against him; only he can do so. The Bible tells us clearly: “If we confess our sins, [God] is faithful and righteous so as to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.” (1 John 1:9)

Since forgiveness can come only from God, confession must be made to him. On what basis, though, would forgiveness be granted? The Bible tells us: “Repent, therefore, and turn around so as to get your sins blotted out, that seasons of refreshing may come from the person of Jehovah.” (Acts 3:19)

Forgiveness is contingent not only on one’s recognizing and confessing the sin but also on one’s being willing to desist from the wrong course. This additional step is often difficult. But there is help.
Recall the words of the disciple James that we referred to earlier: “Openly confess your sins to one another and pray for one another, that you may get healed.” To those words, James added: “A righteous man’s supplication, when it is at work, has much force.” (James 5:16) The ‘righteous man’ can be one of “the older men of the congregation,” or your priest. In the Christian congregation, there are spiritually “older men,” appointed to assist those who want to gain God’s forgiveness. Such “older men” cannot absolve anyone of sins, for no man is authorized to forgive a fellow human for a wrong against God. However, they are spiritually qualified to reprove and readjust a person guilty of a serious sin, helping him to recognize the gravity of his sin and the need to repent.—Galatians 6:1.

By the way, contrary to what many people say, not all sins can be forgiven.​

JacobEzra.

Dr. Greenthumb
God does not authorize men to forgive sins against him; only he can do so. The Bible tells us clearly: “If we confess our sins, [God] is faithful and righteous so as to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.” (1 John 1:9)​

Since forgiveness can come only from God, confession must be made to him. On what basis, though, would forgiveness be granted? The Bible tells us: “Repent, therefore, and turn around so as to get your sins blotted out, that seasons of refreshing may come from the person of Jehovah.” (Acts 3:19)

Forgiveness is contingent not only on one’s recognizing and confessing the sin but also on one’s being willing to desist from the wrong course. This additional step is often difficult. But there is help.
Recall the words of the disciple James that we referred to earlier: “Openly confess your sins to one another and pray for one another, that you may get healed.” To those words, James added: “A righteous man’s supplication, when it is at work, has much force.” (James 5:16) The ‘righteous man’ can be one of “the older men of the congregation,” or your priest. In the Christian congregation, there are spiritually “older men,” appointed to assist those who want to gain God’s forgiveness. Such “older men” cannot absolve anyone of sins, for no man is authorized to forgive a fellow human for a wrong against God. However, they are spiritually qualified to reprove and readjust a person guilty of a serious sin, helping him to recognize the gravity of his sin and the need to repent.—Galatians 6:1.

By the way, contrary to what many people say, not all sins can be forgiven.
I guess you missed the part where JESUS tells his Apostles to hear confessions and forgive!

I think that beats your over-reaching into out of context, irrelevant qoutes.

idav

Being
Premium Member
Is the rite of reconciliation, including personal confession into the ear of a priest, as taught by the Catholic Church scriptural?
Can all sins be forgiven?
Yes when Paul says to call him father. Though Jesus said to call no man father but Paul never met Christ to know that.