• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

confused about christianity

cocokorina

i have been trying to learn about Christianity but it's hard for me to understand concept of Jesus. is Jesus God? if he is God, then how did He die on the cross?
if this question seems very ignorant, please forgive me, I really dont know much about Christianity and i am trying to understand it.
i used to be a muslim (was born muslim but then left islam as I didn't think of it as the 'true' religion) concept of God which i learned in islam seems different from christianity so I am really trying to figure this outt. I have heard of alot of muslims convert to Christianity but i cannot understand the basics of Christianity.

ZooGirl02

Jesus Christ is both fully God and fully man. When He died on the Cross, only His human nature died, not His divine nature.

Thana

Lady
I don't feel that a second hand answer is the best for someone who's interested in learning about a new religion. You seem to have an open and eager mindset, So I suggest that you grab a bible, hunker down, And find the answers for yourself.

Hope you find what you're looking for =)

ZooGirl02

I don't feel that a second hand answer is the best for someone who's interested in learning about a new religion. You seem to have an open and eager mindset, So I suggest that you grab a bible, hunker down, And find the answers for yourself.

Hope you find what you're looking for =)

The only problem with what you suggested is that this very same method has lead to a plethora of Christian denominations. When Jesus Christ founded the Church, He only founded one Church, the Catholic Church. He did not found the thousands of denominations that exist to this day.

It is because of private interpretation of the Bible with no external guidance that the thousands of denominations exist to this day.

Thana

Lady
The only problem with what you suggested is that this very same method has lead to a plethora of Christian denominations. When Jesus Christ founded the Church, He only founded one Church, the Catholic Church. He did not found the thousands of denominations that exist to this day.

It is because of private interpretation of the Bible with no external guidance that the thousands of denominations exist to this day.

Well I suppose I'm somewhat of a protestant, So I have to respectfully but vehemently disagree.

Shiranui117

Pronounced Shee-ra-noo-ee
Premium Member
i have been trying to learn about Christianity but it's hard for me to understand concept of Jesus. is Jesus God? if he is God, then how did He die on the cross?
Jesus is God Who became man for our sakes--that is, He became fully man, while remaining fully God. Jesus is one of the three Persons of the Trinity--three distinct Persons Who are one undivided God.

ZooGirl already gave a good answer, but I would like to put a different nuance on it--when Jesus died on the Cross, He died in the flesh, that is, His physical body died, and He suffered physical death, and I'm sure this is what ZooGirl meant. Jesus' human nature can be said to have died, since Jesus still remained human afterwards, and His humanity never once parted from His divinity, or vice-versa. He never ceased to exist or anything like that; His human soul/spirit was still intact, and Who He is as God still of course remained as that was.

if this question seems very ignorant, please forgive me, I really dont know much about Christianity and i am trying to understand it.
Of course not! You're asking questions that involve a lot of theology--it's less ignorant than you think! :)

i used to be a muslim (was born muslim but then left islam as I didn't think of it as the 'true' religion) concept of God which i learned in islam seems different from christianity so I am really trying to figure this outt. I have heard of alot of muslims convert to Christianity but i cannot understand the basics of Christianity.
Well cocokorina, if you continue to have questions about anything that comes up in your mind or in anything you read, or if you want more resources, we would all be more than happy to help. :) If you would like any resources, to start, I'd second Thana's suggestion to pick up a Bible--don't worry about all this "true church" stuff yet, all that can come later, after you've gotten to know Jesus. Prayers for you on your journey--may God illumine your path, your mind and your heart to follow Him!

Last edited:

Shiranui117

Premium Member

I think this is best saved for the debate forum, guys--I know I'm always ready to argue for my Church myself, but I don't want to see the OP confused about which denomination is right before she's even gotten started with Jesus. If y'all wanna argue about this, do it somewhere else, like on the Same Faith Debates forum. If she has questions about the stuff that's hard for her, she can come and talk with us--chances are, she'll ask the questions for which our answers may vary. Then perhaps we can do a history lesson (not debate, but lesson) as needed as to why our answers might differ.

Last edited:

ZooGirl02

I think this is best saved for the debate forum, guys--I know I'm always ready to argue for my Church myself, but I don't want to see the OP confused about which denomination is right before she's even gotten started with Jesus. If y'all wanna argue about this, do it somewhere else, like on the Same Faith Debates forum.

You're right. I'm sorry I started a debate about that. We can of course start a debate in the Same Faith Debates forums like you said though. I apologize for taking the thread off topic. I guess I'm just pretty zealous when it comes to evangelization and apologetics. :eek:

Shiranui117

Premium Member
You're right. I'm sorry I started a debate about that. We can of course start a debate in the Same Faith Debates forums like you said though. I apologize for taking the thread off topic. I guess I'm just pretty zealous when it comes to evangelization and apologetics. :eek:
Haha, you and me both. :D I might start a few threads over there myself...

Iti oj

Global warming is real and we need to act
Premium Member

The holy spirit guides. Since this is a Dir make that a question.

rusra02

Premium Member
I think it is important to know that there are many who claim to be "Christian" who really do not teach what Jesus taught nor practice what he commanded. Jesus himself warned about this at Matthew 7:21-23 in the Bible. Since the Bible contains the teachings of Jesus Christ, reading the Bible is a good way to learn the truth about him. For example, Jesus never claimed to be almighty God. He said he came as God's representative. (John 8:28,29) If someone claims to be a true follower of Christ, compare their teachings and practices with what the Bible says. I believe doing this will lead you to those who truly are real Christians.

cocokorina

thankyou guys for your answers. another concept which i am trying to understand is why did Jesus Christ die on the cross? i have heard christians say he died for our sins. what sins are we referring to here?

Pegg

Jehovah our God is One

Christianity is based on the Jewish God Jehovah. Jesus himself was born from Jewish people..... he is NOT God.

I can recommend you a really 'good' book where you can learn about Christianity... its the Gospels found in the Bible. (Matthew Mark Luke John)

These four gospel accounts lay out the basis of who Jesus was, why he was here and what he was teaching.

What you should know about Christianity is that its based on the Hebrew scriptures and the writings of the Prophets. In those scriptures, God promised our forefather Abraham that he would send a 'seed' to be the savior of the world. Gen 22:15 And Jehovah’s angel called to Abraham a second time from the heavens, 16 saying: “‘By myself I swear,’ declares Jehovah, ‘that because you have done this and you have not withheld your son, your only one, 17 I will surely bless you and I will surely multiply your offspring like the stars of the heavens and like the grains of sand on the seashore, and your offspring will take possession of the gate of his enemies. 18 And by means of your offspring all nations of the earth will obtain a blessing for themselves because you have listened to my voice.’”
The hebrew scriptures later explain more details about this 'seed' and how he would anointed and die a sacrificial death on behalf of mankind.

That savior or Messiah, was Jesus Christ. So Jesus is not God as many christians believe (that idea is not found in the bible) The bible tells us that Jesus is Gods firstborn of all his creations. Colossians 1:15 He is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn of all creation;

Jesus is the very first intelligent being or Angel created by God. Later, after mankind got into trouble, God sent this heavenly son to earth to provide us with a means of salvation from sin and death. He couldnt ask anyone from mankind to save us because all mankind are sinners and condemened to death, he needed someone who was perfect and sinfree...and someone he could trust implicitly. So he sent his firstborn son to earth. Upon completion of his God assigned duty, Jesus would be crowned the king of Gods heavenly kingdom and rule over mankind to teach them Gods ways and bring them back into the perfection lost by our first parents. The wicked ones will be removed and the righteous would then be able to live forever in a paradise earth just as the hebrew scriptures foretell:

Psalm 39:10 Just a little while longer, and the wicked will be no more; You will look at where they were, And they will not be there. 11 But the meek will possess the earth, And they will find exquisite delight in the abundance of peace...29 The righteous will possess the earth, And they will live forever on it.

This is the basis for Christianity.... Jesus is the one God anointed to do the work assigned him. He is the basis for mankind receiving complete forgiveness from their sins and bringing justice and righteousness to all.

Find out about this heavenly kingdom at Jehovah for more information.

:)

Last edited:

jonah bear

thankyou guys for your answers. another concept which i am trying to understand is why did Jesus Christ die on the cross? i have heard christians say he died for our sins. what sins are we referring to here?

He died for everyone and for all sins. It was a sign that God will relate with man and is willing to step into their 'mess', take the blame for the mess that men made and even allow himself to be humiliated & killed on their behalf.

It was the purest act of love imaginable and it breaks all the chains of legalism. He wants to be in full relationship with you and me as individuals as well as under the unity of the Church (body of believers, I do not adhere to denominational doctrine).

While I completely understand how a person could be perplexed about how can God be man, let me try to simplify the beginning of it. At some point, ask yourself, do I 'need' a Savior? Am I sufficiently equipped to govern my own life and direct it? That is step 1 - If you answer yes and no respectively, you are well on your way. Secondly, pray to this Jesus that you don't even fully understand to reveal himself to you (He is looking for seekers). I believe that God will take it from there and, once you have accepted Jesus as your personal Savior and the King of Kings, then it may be advisable to talk to some mature Christians about the 'next step'. Honestly, I have a friend who has only been a Christian for a year and he is more passionate about building Christ's Kingdom than most of the Christians I know who have been walking in faith for many ,many years. It is a supernatural and personal connection to Jesus Christ that is worthy to seek (not simply an intellectual belief in Him).

God bless you.

jonah bear

Christianity is based on the Jewish God Jehovah. Jesus himself was born from Jewish people..... he is NOT God.

John 1:1 - In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.

John 1:14 - And the Word was made flesh, and dwelt among us, (and we beheld his glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father,) full of grace and truth.

John 10:30 - I and [my] Father are one.

Matthew 1:23 - Behold, a virgin shall be with child, and shall bring forth a son, and they shall call his name Emmanuel, which being interpreted is, God with us.

John 14:10 - Believest thou not that I am in the Father, and the Father in me? the words that I speak unto you I speak not of myself: but the Father that dwelleth in me, he doeth the works.

John 5:18 - Therefore the Jews sought the more to kill him, because he not only had broken the sabbath, but said also that God was his Father, making himself equal with God.

Matthew 28:18 - And Jesus came and spake unto them, saying, All power is given unto me in heaven and in earth.

There are about 30 more verses that I could quote but I am always amazed when anyone who believes the Gospels would be able to come to any other conclusion than Jesus Christ is One with God.

I can recommend you a really 'good' book where you can learn about Christianity... its the Gospels found in the Bible. (Matthew Mark Luke John)

These four gospel accounts lay out the basis of who Jesus was, why he was here and what he was teaching.

I totally agree with this.

Amechania

Daimona of the Helpless

Trust yourself. If you identify with Jesus, ask yourself why? Is there something about him that gives you peace, joy, love? He should do that for you. If not, look elsewhere.

rusra02

Premium Member

The Bible explains that all of us inherited sin and death from our common ancestor Adam. "That is why, just as through one man sin entered into the world and death through sin, and so death spread to all men because they had all sinned." (Romans 5:12) I believe God's justice required a legal basis to forgive sins, and his love moved him to provide that legal basis. Thus, as John 3:16 says, “For God loved the world so much that he gave his only-begotten Son, so that everyone exercising faith in him might not be destroyed but have everlasting life." Notice that God did not give himself, but his only-begotten Son, to save mankind. Jesus explains that "the Son of man came, ...to give his life as a ransom in exchange for many.” (Matthew 20:28) Since Jesus had no earthly father, he was not born sinful, but rather, was a perfect man, just like Adam was a perfect man before he sinned. By sacrificing that perfect human life, I believe Jesus provided the legal basis to ransom mankind from sin and death. Thus, Jesus "gave himself a corresponding ransom for all." (1 Timothy 2:6) 1 Corinthians 15:22,23 says "For since death came through a man, resurrection of the dead also comes through a man. *For just as in Adam all are dying, so also in the Christ all will be made alive." Christ's sacrifice of his perfect human life on the torture stake was, I believe, sufficient to ransom all obedient mankind from the death Adam brought upon us. How pitifully few people of earth's billions really show appreciation for what God and Christ have done for us, IMO.

Desert Snake

Veteran Member

Part of that, in my opinion, is that Yeshua was human, at least in the new testament narrative. So, like all people, faced whatever oppression/strife/war was taking place in the region. Not really weird if you think about it. I'm sort of in the same situation as you, I haven't read the entire N.T you have? anyways that's my take on it.

Pegg

Jehovah our God is One
There are about 30 more verses that I could quote but I am always amazed when anyone who believes the Gospels would be able to come to any other conclusion than Jesus Christ is One with God.

its not hard to imagine what he meant really. He also told his disciples that they were to likewise be 'one' with each other.
John 17:20 “I make request, not concerning these only, but also concerning those putting faith in me through their word, 21 so that they may all be one, just as you, Father, are in union with me and I am in union with you, that they also may be in union with us, so that the world may believe that you sent me.
Do you think he meant that they were the same person??

A husband and wife are said to be 'one flesh'
Gen 2:24 That is why a man will leave his father and his mother and he will stick to his wife, and they will become one flesh
Does this mean a man and woman are literally the same person?

Jesus also had two sheepfolds. One he called a 'little flock' and the second he called the 'other sheep'
But of these two sheepfolds, he said that they would become 'one flock'
John 10:16 “And I have other sheep, which are not of this fold; those too I must bring in, and they will listen to my voice, and they will become one flock

Really, by examining the Apostles teachings, we can learn how they understood what Jesus meant when he said that he and the Father are one. Jesus had thousands of individual disciples, yet we see the apostles teaching that they must all be of 'one mind' and one 'united thought'
1Cor 1:10 Now I urge you, brothers, through the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that you should all speak in agreement and that there should be no divisions among you, but that you may be completely united in the same mind and in the same line of thought.

Being 'one' means to be unified. A husband should be in unity with his wife and they thus become 'one'.
Christians should be in unity and in agreement with each other and they thereby become 'one'.
Jesus was in complete harmony with his Father and they were in that sense, 'one'.

jonah bear

its not hard to imagine what he meant really. He also told his disciples that they were to likewise be 'one' with each other.
John 17:20 “I make request, not concerning these only, but also concerning those putting faith in me through their word, 21 so that they may all be one, just as you, Father, are in union with me and I am in union with you, that they also may be in union with us, so that the world may believe that you sent me.
Do you think he meant that they were the same person??

A husband and wife are said to be 'one flesh'
Gen 2:24 That is why a man will leave his father and his mother and he will stick to his wife, and they will become one flesh
Does this mean a man and woman are literally the same person?

Jesus also had two sheepfolds. One he called a 'little flock' and the second he called the 'other sheep'
But of these two sheepfolds, he said that they would become 'one flock'
John 10:16 “And I have other sheep, which are not of this fold; those too I must bring in, and they will listen to my voice, and they will become one flock

Really, by examining the Apostles teachings, we can learn how they understood what Jesus meant when he said that he and the Father are one. Jesus had thousands of individual disciples, yet we see the apostles teaching that they must all be of 'one mind' and one 'united thought'
1Cor 1:10 Now I urge you, brothers, through the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that you should all speak in agreement and that there should be no divisions among you, but that you may be completely united in the same mind and in the same line of thought.

Being 'one' means to be unified. A husband should be in unity with his wife and they thus become 'one'.
Christians should be in unity and in agreement with each other and they thereby become 'one'.
Jesus was in complete harmony with his Father and they were in that sense, 'one'.

Hi Pegg,

The Unity that Christ speaks of is under Him, yes.

13 When Jesus came to the region of Caesarea Philippi, he asked his disciples, “Who do people say the Son of Man is?”

14 They replied, “Some say John the Baptist; others say Elijah; and still others, Jeremiah or one of the prophets.”

15 “But what about you?” he asked. “Who do you say I am?”

16 Simon Peter answered, “You are the Messiah, the Son of the living God.”

17 Jesus replied, “Blessed are you, Simon son of Jonah, for this was not revealed to you by flesh and blood, but by my Father in heaven. 18 And I tell you that you are Peter,[a] and on this rock I will build my church, and the gates of Hades will not overcome it. 19 I will give you the keys of the kingdom of heaven; whatever you bind on earth will be[c] bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth will be[d] loosed in heaven.” 20 Then he ordered his disciples not to tell anyone that he was the Messiah.

Jesus Appears to His Disciples

19On the evening of that first day of the week, when the disciples were together, with the doors locked for fear of the Jewish leaders, Jesus came and stood among them and said, “Peace be with you!” 20After he said this, he showed them his hands and side. The disciples were overjoyed when they saw the Lord.

21Again Jesus said, “Peace be with you! As the Father has sent me, I am sending you.” 22And with that he breathed on them and said, “Receive the Holy Spirit. 23If you forgive anyone’s sins, their sins are forgiven; if you do not forgive them, they are not forgiven.”

Jesus Appears to Thomas

24Now Thomas (also known as Didymusa ), one of the Twelve, was not with the disciples when Jesus came. 25So the other disciples told him, “We have seen the Lord!”

But he said to them, “Unless I see the nail marks in his hands and put my finger where the nails were, and put my hand into his side, I will not believe.”

26A week later his disciples were in the house again, and Thomas was with them. Though the doors were locked, Jesus came and stood among them and said, “Peace be with you!” 27Then he said to Thomas, “Put your finger here; see my hands. Reach out your hand and put it into my side. Stop doubting and believe.”

28Thomas said to him, "My Lord and my God!"

29Then Jesus told him, “Because you have seen me, you have believed; blessed are those who have not seen and yet have believed.
”

I don't see much wiggle room here. But there are more verses yet if you would like to receive more confirmation.

Last edited: