• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Congratulation!

SalixIncendium

अहं ब्रह्मास्मि
Staff member
Premium Member
No, the title is not a typo. I only have one congratulation to give.

Why do people always give more than one congratulation? I don't think I've ever seen it expressed in the singular.

If I want to only congratulate someone a little, can I just give them one congratulation? Or do I have to give them two or more congratulations?

If someone congratulates you, by saying, "Congratulations!", how do you know how many congratulations they're giving you?

Spice

StewardshipPeaceIntergityCommunityEquality

Why do people always give more than one congratulation? I don't think I've ever seen it expressed in the singular.

If I want to only congratulate someone a little, can I just give them one congratulation? Or do I have to give them two or more congratulations?

If someone congratulates you, by saying, "Congratulations!", how do you know how many congratulations they're giving you?
Even congrats is plural! What's up with that?

mangalavara

सो ऽहम्
Premium Member

For such a thought, I can at least give you my most enthusiastic contrafibularities.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member

Here, have a kudo for the introspections.

Dan From Smithville

Monsters! Monsters from the id! Forbidden Planet
Staff member
Premium Member

I'd like to congratulate you on making such an interesting observation and following it up with this thread.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member

The plural form illustrated by the examples above is much more used than the singular form:

2523 matches for congratulations vs. 56 matches for congratulation in the COCA.

It should be noted that the less common singular form can be found in sentences where the plural form would not apply. See these examples extracted from the COCA:

1. ...notes of congratulation and consolation.
  2. The Artistic Podiatrist extended a hand in congratulation.
  3. I made conventional sound of congratulation.

Brickjectivity

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Why do people always give more than one congratulation?
Its a passive aggressive way of letting you know that they don't really mean it, but you should smile like they really do. Accept all the congratulations as if they were real. Also you should give them 50$ every time they do it.

By-the way: Congratulations!

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member

In general you congratulate when someone accomplished something big like marriage, a new baby, or graduation. All these events are created from multiple accomplishments and/or multiple people by adding the S you are acknowledging that or you'd have to know their specific thoughts on it Have you ever been asked why you were congratulating them and would you want to give a specific answer

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member

May i congratulate you on a wonderful, thought provoking post.

Cheers. (You can have as many of them as you want)

SalixIncendium

अहं ब्रह्मास्मि
Staff member
Premium Member
In general you congratulate when someone accomplished something big like marriage, a new baby, or graduation. All these events are created from multiple accomplishments and/or multiple people by adding the S you are acknowledging that or you'd have to know their specific thoughts on it
So in the event of one single accomplishment, would it be appropriate to give one congratulation?

Have you ever been asked why you were congratulating them and would you want to give a specific answer
I have not, but I wouldn't have a problem with it. Do you think it would be challenging to give a specific answer?

SalixIncendium

अहं ब्रह्मास्मि
Staff member
Premium Member
May i congratulate you on a wonderful, thought provoking post.

Cheers. (You can have as many of them as you want)
I certainly wouldn't want to take more cheers than I deserve. What if you run out? I think the post is only deserving of maybe one cheer, so I'll have one, please.

Where are you getting all these cheers that you so freely dole out?

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
I certainly wouldn't want to take more cheers than I deserve. What if you run out? I think the post is only deserving of maybe one cheer, so I'll have one, please.

Where are you getting all these cheers that you so freely dole out?

Not being greedy eh? Great stuff

I won't run out, they come free with the personality, giving them away costs nothing, enjoy

Cheer...

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member
So in the event of one single accomplishment, would it be appropriate to give one congratulation?

I have not, but I wouldn't have a problem with it. Do you think it would be challenging to give a specific answer?
I usually say good job. I only use congratulations for events. Winning an archery tournament or acting in a play.

Yes I would find it hard specifying a topic to congratulate for fear of insulting them. You may think singing is what they are proud of but it was their dancing. You may think it was their academics they are proud of but it was their athletics and so on

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member

More thoughts, I really can't think of a reason to use congratulation.

You child Aces a quiz, I would still say congrats is deserved. They accomplished it by attending class, studying, doing homework and answering multiple questions correctly. They possibly got help studying from a friend, parent or teacher. They did multiple worthy things.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
More thoughts, I really can't think of a reason to use congratulation.

You child Aces a quiz, I would still say congrats is deserved. They accomplished it by attending class, studying, doing homework and answering multiple questions correctly. They possibly got help studying from a friend, parent or teacher. They did multiple worthy things.

Or have they hacked the school mainframe, and got the test results. Even then, they're showing both initiative and technical skills.

[Edit : I just realised this is not in the Jokes forum, so I'd like to point out my wasn't serious. Schools no longer use mainframes, and you'd be hacking whatever cloud storage they use instead.]

Tomef

I think the plural just reflects the exuberance of congratulating someone.