• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

could god be a Hermaphrodite?

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
When one feels the gods are many, the gods take many forms: some of them sexed, some of them not. In my experience, the vast and overwhelming majority of spirits/gods are non-sexed considering the vast and overwhelming majority of reality is abiotic, not biotic. And within the biotic, the overwhelming majority of life forms are also non-sexed; we mammals just tend to ignore them because they're too small for the eye to see. But plants? Man, there's no excuse for that one. Male and female plants are a rarity; monoecy is the norm, which is the rough equivalent of hermaphrodites in mammals.

Ingledsva

HEATHEN ALASKAN
Ingledsva said:
I agree with Treks, why would Deity need sexual organs.

However, if we are talking about the Hebrew God - we are told that male and female are in God's image, and there are old manuscripts saying that Adam and Eve were both in one body and were split to form a separate man and woman, so they could procreate.

i didn't mention about genitalia, but since you brought it up, can a person still be a male or female without genitalia? :slap:

Actually you did - as that is what hermaphrodite means.

As to the question; yes a person can be male or female without the genitalia, as there are brain differences.

In fact studies in the last couple of years are showing that gay men have parts of their brains that are closer to a female brain. They seem to be caught in the middle of a chemical sex change.

Treks

The question becomes then, what exactly is a male and a female, if it isn't about their genetalia?

Ingledsva

HEATHEN ALASKAN
The question becomes then, what exactly is a male and a female, if it isn't about their genetalia?

Sometimes things get crossed, but they can still generally determine what they are supposed to be. Homosexuals would be the exception. They are like a third gender.

There are for instance, males that have been born without penises, or had them injured at birth, and the doctors decided to make them female, gave them female hormones, trained them up as girls, etc. Most of these had nothing but problems, and many killed themselves, because in their brains they were still male.

It is the same with hermaphrodites. Doctors in the past decided they would be one sex or the other by which sex organ was most prominent. They now know better, as again, these people knew they were the opposite sex, had mental problems, and committed suicide.

Treks

"because of their brain" ... like, literally, the way the brain is made in these people... or is it hormonal? What makes someone's brain 'male' or 'female'. Does God have a brain?

Ingledsva

HEATHEN ALASKAN
"because of their brain" ... like, literally, the way the brain is made in these people... or is it hormonal? What makes someone's brain 'male' or 'female'. Does God have a brain?

The actual brains of men and women have many differences. May I suggest you Google it.

You asked, "Does God have a brain?"

I don't even know if there is a God.

kloth

If you mean the christian god then no as he is not human and being a hermaphrodite is something experienced by humans. He is meant to be a spiritual being and can have energy of both male and female which is not the same thing.
well you keep calling this christian god a he. not a she. so whatever god is then you say god is male.
and as far as i know there is no solid proof that hermaphrodites exist in human form.
either way you didn't answer my question, not even in hypothetical terms.
i wonder why.:cool:

kloth

When one feels the gods are many, the gods take many forms: some of them sexed, some of them not. In my experience, the vast and overwhelming majority of spirits/gods are non-sexed considering the vast and overwhelming majority of reality is abiotic, not biotic. And within the biotic, the overwhelming majority of life forms are also non-sexed; we mammals just tend to ignore them because they're too small for the eye to see. But plants? Man, there's no excuse for that one. Male and female plants are a rarity; monoecy is the norm, which is the rough equivalent of hermaphrodites in mammals.

where did you get that info exactly? it doesn't answer my question, but i'm still wondering where all that came from.

kloth

Actually you did - as that is what hermaphrodite means.

As to the question; yes a person can be male or female without the genitalia, as there are brain differences.

In fact studies in the last couple of years are showing that gay men have parts of their brains that are closer to a female brain. They seem to be caught in the middle of a chemical sex change.

if a male or female can be male or female without genitalia. then why can't a hermaphrodite be a hermaphrodite with genitalia(s)?

what studies are you talking about that took place with gay men's brains? in other words where did these studies take place and by whom?

Falvlun

Earthbending Lemur
Premium Member
I see no good reason to assume that God is any particular gender. It's even silly to assume that he'd a) be a gender or b) confine himself just to male and/or female. Pfft. Science fiction writers have thunk up different genders besides the two we have. It's not like either, or, or both are the only options.

kloth

perhaps the rest of their body, brain. if someone gets a sex change does that really make them a different sex? if a guy accidentally gets his penis cut off does that make him a woman? i'm going to have to say no in my opinion.

Falvlun

Earthbending Lemur
Premium Member
perhaps the rest of their body, brain. if someone gets a sex change does that really make them a different sex? if a guy accidentally gets his penis cut off does that make him a woman? i'm going to have to say no in my opinion.
There's a difference between sex and gender.

outhouse

Atheistically
or should god be a Hermaphrodite. you know, to keep it fair.

god, higher being, whatever you wanna use as a title.

Which god?

I believe there is a painting via 800 BC that shows god and his wife, Yahweh and Asherah, and a third figure Baal. If it is Baal he has male genitalia and breast.

Ingledsva

HEATHEN ALASKAN
if a male or female can be male or female without genitalia. then why can't a hermaphrodite be a hermaphrodite with genitalia(s)?

I assume you mean without genitalia?

Because the word you chose - hermaphrodite - actually means with the sexual organs of both sexes. I have heard it used lately, though, for a male that appears very female, or appears to be an outward blend. However that is not the actual original definition.

what studies are you talking about that took place with gay men's brains? in other words where did these studies take place and by whom?

PET and MRI show differences in cerebral asymmetry and functional connectivity between homo- and heterosexual subjects

“The present study shows sex-atypical cerebral asymmetry and functional connections in homosexual subjects.”
PET and MRI show differences in cerebral asymmetry and functional connectivity between homo- and heterosexual subjects

“These findings show that our brain reacts differently to the two putative pheromones compared with common odors, and suggest a link between sexual orientation and hypothalamic neuronal processes.”
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15883379?dopt=Abstract

Biological and psychosocial determinants of male and female human sexual orientation.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16174346?dopt=Abstract

"According to the Guardian the same research team has "begun another study to investigate brain symmetry in newborn babies, to see if it can be used to predict their future sexual orientation." If it can, that will scratch postnatal factors off the list, and the search will narrow to hormones in the womb. Already, the authors point to evidence that homosexuality may be caused by "under-exposure to prenatal androgens" in males and "over-exposure" in females.

To find out, they have begun another study to investigate brain symmetry in newborn babies, to see if it can be used to predict their future sexual orientation."

Savic and Lindström Stockholm Brain Institute

http://www.pnas.org/content/105/27/9403. full?sid=2a1340f1-a699-4a8d-b31b-ce7efda d0db1

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
where did you get that info exactly? it doesn't answer my question, but i'm still wondering where all that came from.

Well, it does answer your question with respect to the god-concept I follow... and if you aren't familiar with it that might not be apparent upon reading what I wrote. My gods are fully immanent and reality itself, to so asking what sex the gods are is as simple as looking at the form it takes. If it doesn't have a reproductive system, clearly the god/spirit is asexual. If it does have a reproductive system, biological life forms run a broad spectrum, but most are asexual also given the most abundant forms of life are single celled, asexually reproducing bacteria and such. Where do I get this info? Basic education in natural and biological sciences.

kloth

Which god?

I believe there is a painting via 800 BC that shows god and his wife, Yahweh and Asherah, and a third figure Baal. If it is Baal he has male genitalia and breast.

i don't mean to sound sarcastic. but why do people always ask which god? just pick one.
i did say god or higher being meaning that i don't mean any one specific.

kloth

Because the word you chose - hermaphrodite - actually means with the sexual organs of both sexes. I have heard it used lately, though, for a male that appears very female, or appears to be an outward blend. However that is not the actual original definition.
yes. i do understand that part. but i don't see how a male can be a male without genitalia and a female be a female without genitalia. if a hermaphrodite is what they are based on their genitalia then i would think a male or female is what they are based on their genitalia. seems only fair.

thanks for the other info and links.

kloth

Well, it does answer your question with respect to the god-concept I follow... and if you aren't familiar with it that might not be apparent upon reading what I wrote. My gods are fully immanent and reality itself, to so asking what sex the gods are is as simple as looking at the form it takes. If it doesn't have a reproductive system, clearly the god/spirit is asexual. If it does have a reproductive system, biological life forms run a broad spectrum, but most are asexual also given the most abundant forms of life are single celled, asexually reproducing bacteria and such. Where do I get this info? Basic education in natural and biological sciences.

i was just curious where exactly you learned that Basic education in natural and biological sciences. a school and/or off the net? and which ones.

Ingledsva

HEATHEN ALASKAN
Ingledsva said:

yes. i do understand that part. but i don't see how a male can be a male without genitalia and a female be a female without genitalia. if a hermaphrodite is what they are based on their genitalia then i would think a male or female is what they are based on their genitalia. seems only fair.

thanks for the other info and links.

"Hermaphrodite" is just a word that means having both sex organs. A Hermaphrodite is still in reality either a MALE, or a FEMALE, (or homosexual, which I believe should be listed as a third gender.)

The fact that they are still either Male or Female, is why they were committing suicide when doctors chose their sex for them, based on which genitals they thought were most prominent.

For instance, they forced children that were actually Males, to take female hormones, dress and live as girls, and expected them to fall in love with and marry ANOTHER MALE. If you are not a Gay male - imagine how you would feel - as a heterosexual male - being given hormones that make you grow breasts - and being told you have to marry another man and have sex with him for the rest of your life.

The sex of a child is determined in the womb, and includes brain changes, - so, regardless if something happens to prevent the genitals from forming correctly, they are still that gender. (And again - I think homosexuals - whom have remained a pretty much set percentage of world population throughout time, meaning they must have a reason for being - should be given a third gender status.)