• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Could Women Be Misogynistic?

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
About a month ago I met a middle aged widow whose husband had recently died. She was not only upset by the loss of her dear husband, but she told me that almost all of her girl-friends had dropped contact with her, almost instantly after her loss.

I told her that I had heard the same reports from women whose partnerships and marriages had failed, and from other widows. She agreed that she knew of such 'things' as well, but had never believed that it could happen to her.

The only lady-friend who had maintained close contact was a divorcee with no partner. It would seem that for some women, all other women are potential enemies. We met because she was selling her home with all its furnishings, and I was cleaning her carpets for the sale.

I have discussed this type of situation with men, over the years, and have found that there is a slight tendency towards the same condition, although when I lost my first wife in 1991 I didn't notice this for myself, and many of my mates insisted on giving hospitality to me and my kids.

And so I don't think that all women polarise towards, or feel empathy for other women. Some seem to treat others as competitors.

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist
I think some men can be misandristic, some women can be misogynistic, some people can develop a distaste to their own culture, and so on and so forth.
There can be myriad reasons for that. One of the main reasons may be cultural pressure towards certain trends, norms and roles, also perhaps disillusionment, or even growing pains when ideals we fostered or grew up on don't match our environment. Some women may even live in societies which foster a sense that women are flawed, a liability, even useless. It could be so bad that many women grow up to enforce this reality on the women they raise.

DallasApple

Depends Upon My Mood..
yesterday, i met a pregnant woman who was very hopeful that she would have a boy. Not because she just generally loves boys. And not because she already has a girl (she has a 7 year old son), but because girls are "horrible", "difficult", "moody", and "bratty." she followed up with how boys are so much easier than girls in every way, and how she was rotten growing up because she herself is/was so "moody" and "bratty" and how her mother had such a hard time with her as opposed to her brother.

So my answer is yes. Women can be misogynistic.

+ 1 ^