• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Creationist objections to plant evolution?

mycorrhiza

The Bible describbes plant kinds as this, "Let the earth bring forth grass, the herb yielding seed, and the fruit tree yielding fruit after his kind..."

Where are the ferns and mosses? How about plant families that contain both herbs and trees? As this is about evolution, I'm guessing that those three are supposed to be absolute kinds that can not be related.

dust1n

Zindīq
The Bible describbes plant kinds as this, "Let the earth bring forth grass, the herb yielding seed, and the fruit tree yielding fruit after his kind..."

What about the moss, ferns and the conifers? Lots of trees don't yield fruit... Gingko biloba, for instance.

Last edited:

sandy whitelinger

Veteran Member
Where are the ferns and mosses? How about plant families that contain both herbs and trees? As this is about evolution, I'm guessing that those three are supposed to be absolute kinds that can not be related.
What about the moss, ferns and the conifers? Lots of trees don't yield fruit... Gingko biloba, for instance.
If this is going to be a discussion about Biblical kinds then that is what Biblical kinds are. Nothing more and nothing less. It would be more informative to know how and why the discussion evolved beyond what the Bible mentions.

dust1n

Zindīq
If this is going to be a discussion about Biblical kinds then that is what Biblical kinds are. Nothing more and nothing less. It would be more informative to know how and why the discussion evolved beyond what the Bible mentions.

Sorry, I'm trying to understand the purpose of subgrouping something if almost all of half the planet's plants don't fit into the scheme.

sandy whitelinger

Veteran Member
Sorry, I'm trying to understand the purpose of subgrouping something if almost all of half the planet's plants don't fit into the scheme.
Perhaps it's just an idiom, much like when the Book of Tao says "the 10,000 things" to mean everything.

Perhaps in ancient Hebrew the terms used were more inclusive than we see them today.

Perhaps the Bible isn't a science book.

Perhaps the Biblical world and the natural world do not coincide.

Skwim

Veteran Member
Perhaps it's just an idiom, much like when the Book of Tao says "the 10,000 things" to mean everything.

Perhaps in ancient Hebrew the terms used were more inclusive than we see them today.

And if the Bible doesn't coincide with the facts of the world---it gets them wrong---then there's no telling what else it got wrong. Hardly a book to put one's trust in, for anything. :shrug:

Last edited:

shawn001

mycorrhiza

Sequenced plant genomes

Sequenced plant genomes - CoGepedia

Phylogenetic Tree
Tree up to date as of September 4th 2012

Sequenced plant genomes - CoGepedia

Welcome to plantgdb.org!
Tools and resources for plant genomics.

PlantGDB - Resources for Plant Comparative Genomics

We have found bacteria called cynobacteria at 3.8 billion years old. They were the first to evolve photosynthesis and is WHY WE HAVE AN OXYGEN ATMOSPHERE on Earth!!!

Thanks! Seems like a lot of interesting stuff.

dust1n

Zindīq

It seems to me to be a pretty understandable grouping of plants considering the time it was formulated. As long as these kinds aren't being used for the purposes of artificially drawing barriers between sets and saying they can't "evolve into one another," than I really don't have a problem for appreciating what the ancient description is. It's a better estimate than I would have made had I not the education and access to information as I do.

sandy whitelinger

Veteran Member
It seems to me to be a pretty understandable grouping of plants considering the time it was formulated. As long as these kinds aren't being used for the purposes of artificially drawing barriers between sets and saying they can't "evolve into one another," than I really don't have a problem for appreciating what the ancient description is. It's a better estimate than I would have made had I not the education and access to information as I do.
The Bible does not discuss evolution.

sandy whitelinger

Veteran Member
Well, when the Bible is taught before evolution as opposed to visa versa. ;) :D
Biblists like to hold on to things even after proved otherwise. Replacement theology, dinosaur and human prints together, the Catholic Church is the Harlot, Hitler is the antichrist. The list could go on.

dust1n

Zindīq
Biblists like to hold on to things even after proved otherwise. Replacement theology, dinosaur and human prints together, the Catholic Church is the Harlot, Hitler is the antichrist. The list could go on.

I go through life periodically forgetting these people exist... until I encounter one. It's a shock every time.

sandy whitelinger

Veteran Member
I go through life periodically forgetting these people exist... until I encounter one. It's a shock every time.
Every one seems to cling to some cherished preconcieved notion. "Rose tints my world and keeps me safe from my trouble and pain." -The Rocky Horror Picture Show

shawn001

World's Oldest Fossils Found in Australia

World's Oldest Fossils Found in Australia : Discovery News

stromatolite, produced by the activity of ancient cyanobacteria.

The cyanobacteria have also been tremendously important in shaping the course of evolution and ecological change throughout earth's history. The oxygen atmosphere that we depend on was generated by numerous cyanobacteria photosynthesizing during the Archaean and Proterozoic Era. Before that time, the atmosphere had a very different chemistry, unsuitable for life as we know it today.

Fossil Record of the Cyanobacteria