• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Creationists: "Kind" = Species; species that evolve.

Skwim

Veteran Member
As we've all been long aware, the creationist "kind" has never been well defined. . . heck, it's never been defined at all. In an effort to get around the problems in doing so the "science" of baraminology was created, with the term "baramin" standing in place for the onerous "kind." Accordingly, Biblical kinds were dealt with in a number of odd ways, most of which depended on the creation of all sorts of new baraminological(?) concepts: polybaramins, holobaramins, archebaramins, etc.. Of course, those of us not caught up in the of clutches of creationism don't expect anything of value to come out of such pseudo-science, but I did happen upon one interesting item, which I've excerpted as the last two paragraphs below. As a point of interest I've also included several remarks by the authors that address the lack of definition of "kind" in creationist literature.
A REFINED BARAMIN CONCEPT

That God is the Creator of all things, including all plants and animals, is the unequivocal teaching of Scripture. That these were all established in distinctive groupings called 'kinds' (Hebrew min ) and that there are permanent clear-cut gaps between these kinds (though much potential variation within kinds) is the equally clear teaching of Scripture
(Morris 1984, p.372).

Based on citations in The Genesis Flood (Whitcomb and Morris 1961,pp.66-67), we may attribute Morris's interest in the ‘kind ’to the work of Frank Lewis Marsh, who wrote numerous books on the subject of God ’s created kinds, or in his terminology baramin.
(Marsh 1941;Marsh 1947;Marsh 1950;Marsh 1976).

Despite the centrality and importance of the baramin (‘kind’) to Frank Marsh’s understanding of creation, Marsh never gave a formal definition of the term. Even more oddly, despite coining the term baramin, Marsh never even used it consistently. He used baramin, kind, Genesis kind, created kind, basic kind, basic unit, and basic type interchangeably.

Throughout his writings,Marsh described his idea of the Bramin, discussed mechanisms of variation within a baramin, and refined his hybridization criterion for recognizing baramins, but he left the formal baramin definition unstated.

The criticism of the baramin focuses primarily on the lack of an operational application of the nebulous baramin that would allow, for example, a complete enumeration of ‘created kinds’
(Cracraft 1984).

Here's the interesting part (the two paragraphs are presented in reverse order).

First, fixity of species would be a poor design principle if God intended for the revelation to persist. God knew that sin would enter His creation, and He knew that the consequences of sin would bring drastic changes to the Creation. Thus, any organisms that were perfectly adapted to their environments and fixed in that adaptation could only die in the face of environmental changes brought on by sin. In order for God ’s revelation in creation to persist, organisms must be adaptable to the inevitable environmental changes. Fixity of species would lead to catastrophic extinction and thus the elimination of the revelation in creation (apart from God intervening by re-creation, for which we find no biblical support).

Rather than fixity of species, we advocate the persistence of baramins [kinds]. Rather than asserting that species must necessarily occupy a very narrow region of biological character space (i.e.are fixed), we argue that God would need to create organisms with great morphological flexibility and adaptability in order for baramins to survive (persist)to the present. The only need of fixity would be for the revelation of God to persist. We believe that a reasonable theological argument could be made for persistence rather than fixity of species,beginning with two Biblical premises.

Source: "A REFINED BARAMIN CONCEPT" from Occasional Papers of the Baraminology Study Group.( PDF file and "Quick View" via Google.)
No fixity of species = species can evolve, and they're not talking micro-evolution here. Of course the word "evolution" is never used, but that's to be expected. Conservapedia, one of creation's cheer leaders, acknowledges the article by citing its nomenclature, but ignores its conclusion. The same is true of other creationist sites such as Objective: Ministries and AiG. AiG, in fact, even touts the "science."
"Baraminology is a creationist method of biosystematics where the goal is to define real groups of organisms based on the created “kinds” of Genesis 1.10 Creationist researchers have begun to analyze the Ambystomatidae family. Using statistical analysis and documenting the ability of hybridization in bisexuals, preliminary results have classified them as a monobaramin. A monobaramin is defined as the group of known organisms that share biologically meaningful similarity with one other.12"

(Footnote 12 references the article here.)

So while creationists applaud what baraminologists are doing, they choose to ignore its conclusions that species can evolve. But why should we be surprised.

Autodidact

Intentionally Blank
Most YECs have to assert not only that speciation happens, but that it happens at a dizzying rate, never actually observed. That is because they assert that every land organism on earth descended from a collection of pairs that Noah took on a small wooden boat around 4000 years ago. Since we have over 12 million known species now, that's a lot of speciation since then.

For example, I think most YECs would say that mice is a "kind," so Noah took 2 mice on the boat. There are around 45 living species of mice. I haven't counted, so I'll guess there are at least that many extinct species. So they're alleging that there have been around 100 mice speciation events in the last 4000 years, or one every 40 years. This is impossible, has never been observed, and usually contradicts the last ten pages of their argument.

For this reason, they don't like to define the term, and they hate being made to do the math.

RedOne77

The reason why so many modern creationists have equated kind to species, is because "species" means "kind" in Latin, which is where the word is taken from. However, the idea that there is variability in kinds is not new. As early as 1675, over 150 years before Darwin, Christian apologetics (creationists) have argued that species change over time, as to account for the diversity after Noah's flood.

I would argue that the modern creationist idea of "kind" can be summed up in that each baramin (kind) is decedent from a single archetype of that kind, with no breeding between baramins. Obviously these archetypes would have been created by God with no previous ancestors, and it is the job of baraminologists (or whatever they call themselves) to determin which species are decendent from which archetype. Those that have decendend from the same archetype is of the same kind. I think this reasoning has been present within 'creationism' in some form or fashion since the late 1600's.

Unfortunately, most creationists today (or from a few years ago) refuses to acknowledge speciation, which has been central to Christian apologetics (for the flood) for a few hundred years. This, I think, can raise some interesting questions regarding the origins of the modern creationist movement. Often creationists will state that their version has been the status quo since the begining of Judaism. However, over the centuries many 'creation' scientists have gone out in search for scientific evidence from everything to geological evidence for the flood to what makes humans special above all other creatures. Yet, when evidence is unearthed that there was no 'global flood', or the earth is millions of years old, many of these 'creation' scientists accept these new scientific developments to the point that one could safely say that the modern creationist movement is a fairly new development within theology itself (about 100 years old in reality), borrowing ideas from old that have long since been abandoned by the original 'creation' scientists.

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
Defining animals according to "kinds" is, essentially, filtering biodiversity through the intellectual lens of a 5 year old. Sadly, what you see with many of these people, is that there understanding of the animal kingdom hasn't meaningfully progressed since that age.

Gunfingers

Happiness Incarnate
So i've always wondered, do only animals have "kinds" or does it apply to other kingdoms and domains?

Autodidact

Intentionally Blank
Well, when you consider that the actual definition of "kind" is "category a six-year old knows," then the other kind is probably "bug."

painted wolf

Grey Muzzle
here are some good resources on baraminology for those interested:

Baraminology | NCSE
This one is a nice discussion of one of the baraminology programs "ANOPA" and the issues that face baraminologists:
https://webspace.utexas.edu/dib73/Bolnicklab/pdfs/ANOPA.pdf?uniq=-wipnum

The last one points out the irony that "baraminology" methods actually show evolution: Wiley InterScience :: Session Cookies

It is important to demonstrate evolutionary principles in such a way that they cannot be countered by creation science. One such way is to use creation science itself to demonstrate evolutionary principles. Some creation scientists use classic multidimensional scaling (CMDS) to quantify and visualize morphological gaps or continuity between taxa, accepting gaps as evidence of independent creation and accepting continuity as evidence of genetic relatedness. Here, I apply CMDS to a phylogenetic analysis of coelurosaurian dinosaurs and show that it reveals morphological continuity between Archaeopteryx, other early birds, and a wide range of nonavian coelurosaurs. Creation scientists who use CMDS must therefore accept that these animals are genetically related. Other uses of CMDS for evolutionary biologists include the identification of taxa with much missing evolutionary history and the tracing of the progressive filling of morphological gaps in the fossil record through successive years of discovery.
wa:do

David M

Most YECs have to assert not only that speciation happens, but that it happens at a dizzying rate, never actually observed. That is because they assert that every land organism on earth descended from a collection of pairs that Noah took on a small wooden boat around 4000 years ago. Since we have over 12 million known species now, that's a lot of speciation since then.

Its even quicker than that, the ANE civilisations have left evidence that lions, leopards and cheetahs were around as separate speciesby that time. Thats hyper-speciation - happening in centuries.

RedOne77

So i've always wondered, do only animals have "kinds" or does it apply to other kingdoms and domains?

I've seen creationists claim that entire domains (bacteria) are a single kind, hell I've heard creationists say that "proteins" are a kind, which means that entire domains to a single species can be categorized as a "kind". It is whatever creationists need to claim that everything was made by God and doesn't "marco" evolve while keeping the divinity of humans. Very scientific, in my oh so humble opinion. :rolleyes:

painted wolf

Grey Muzzle
I'm having a hard time understanding evolutionists fascination with the word kind when there isn't a universal definition of species.
Because at least scientist have a working frame of reference with Species.... At least you know when we say Canis lupus you know what we are talking about... as opposed to "dog kind".

That and species is a defined term... kind is whatever the creationist wants it to be at the time.

wa:do

Autodidact

Intentionally Blank
I'm having a hard time understanding evolutionists fascination with the word kind when there isn't a universal definition of species.

I'm having a hard time understanding your fascination with the word "evolutionist" as if it were some sort of philosophy or religion when the word you're looking for is "biologist" or possibly "normal person who accepts modern science."

Here's the important distinction. The Theory of Evolution (ToE) predicts that the line between species will be blurry and gray, because of how it tells us new species come into existence--gradually, from existing species. Therefore any difficulty in clearly distinguishing species confirms the theory. Your hypothesis, which I will call the Hypothesis of Kinds (HoK) predicts that there will be a bright, clear line between two totally distinct categories, called "kinds." The fact that there isn't in and of itself disproves your hypothesis.

Furthermore, we don't ask for a universal definition. It's your term, so we ask you for your definition. If you can't define it, you can't use it, obviously. I am happy to provide a clear, workable definition of "species" for our discussion purposes.

How can you raise an objection based on a meaningless term?

Gunfingers

Happiness Incarnate

"Kind" rather needs a definition, since you make claims and predictions based on it. You say an organism can never evolve beyond it's kind, for example. It's a hypothesis, and as such must be testable. We have to be able to try to evolve an organism beyond its kind so that when it proves impossible we can say "oh, organisms can only evolve within a kind". To do that we would have to know what constitutes a kind.

Species, by contrast, is one of many arbitrary lines we draw to help us classify organisms. There is no accepted definition of species because there a) doesn't need to be, as it is nothing more than a guideline and b) can't be, because organisms vary only by degrees.

Skwim

Veteran Member
"Kind" rather needs a definition, since you make claims and predictions based on it. You say an organism can never evolve beyond it's kind, for example. It's a hypothesis, and as such must be testable. We have to be able to try to evolve an organism beyond its kind so that when it proves impossible we can say "oh, organisms can only evolve within a kind". To do that we would have to know what constitutes a kind.

Species, by contrast, is one of many arbitrary lines we draw to help us classify organisms. There is no accepted definition of species because there a) doesn't need to be, as it is nothing more than a guideline and b) can't be, because organisms vary only by degrees.
Very true, although this doesn't mean that various definitions have not been proposed and adopted, at least provisionally. The most widely used concept, based on the biological concept of species, usually takes a form akin to that formulated by biologist Ernst Mayr. Mayr contends that a species is a "reproductively isolated aggregate of populations which can interbreed with one another because they share the same isolating mechanisms."

Source: Ernst Mayr, The Growth of Biological Thought: Diversity, Evolution, and Inheritance (Cambridge, Mass.: Belknap ), p. 311.

Rationality

The Grand King of Nothing
There are 5,490 species of mammals, 9,998 species of birds, 9,084 species of reptiles, 6,433 species of amphibians, 1,000,000 species of insects, and 102,248 species of spiders and scorpions.

now, add all that up and multiply that by two and you get- 2,266,506 species of living creatures(not including plants)

Safe to say that either Noah had a BIGASS boat or a flood didn't happen.

Autodidact

Intentionally Blank
There are 5,490 species of mammals, 9,998 species of birds, 9,084 species of reptiles, 6,433 species of amphibians, 1,000,000 species of insects, and 102,248 species of spiders and scorpions.

now, add all that up and multiply that by two and you get- 2,266,506 species of living creatures(not including plants)

Safe to say that either Noah had a BIGASS boat or a flood didn't happen.

My understanding is that there are about 12 million known species of organisms on earth, probably several million unknown, and many times that number extinct, so you're talking more like 200,000,000 species on that wooden boat. That's why YECs hate to define "kind" and really hate math.

Skwim

Veteran Member
My understanding is that there are about 12 million known species of organisms on earth, probably several million unknown, and many times that number extinct, so you're talking more like 200,000,000 species on that wooden boat.
And feeding/watering and cleaning up after them for a year, and with only eight people.

Skwim

Veteran Member
not to mention keeping them from killing each other.
And the carnivores would obviously need fresh meat, which brings up the problem of bringing aboard enough livestock and feed to keep the them supplied for a year. Boy, the problems just keep mounting and mounting.

Rationality

The Grand King of Nothing
And the carnivores would obviously need fresh meat, which brings up the problem of bringing aboard enough livestock and feed to keep the them supplied for a year. Boy, the problems just keep mounting and mounting.
last but not least- HOW WOULD THEY REPOPULATE THE EARTH!