• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Cross Or Tree?

Sleeppy

Fatalist. Christian. Pacifist.
Probably not. What I've provided is actual research - you know, the stuff that professionals spent time on - it's peer reviewed and valuable. They don't post that stuff online for free.

You just may have to get up and go to a library to read that stuff, and the sources that they quote may only be available in the library.

You asked for research. You got it.

Then, now I'll ask this: What purpose did that smiley serve?

A

angellous_evangellous

Then, now I'll ask this: What purpose did that smiley serve?

You said as far as you know (which is nothing) that someone was asking the same question as you (which they are not).

:facepalm:

That's just lazy.

Sleeppy

You said as far as you know (which is nothing) that someone was asking the same question as you (which they are not).

:facepalm:

That's just lazy.

Let it be God who tells you about me.

This is the abstract from the study:

This study investigates the philological aspects of how ancient Greek, Latin and Hebrew/Aramaic texts, including the New Testament, depict the practice of punishment by crucifixion. A survey of the ancient text material shows that there has been a too narrow view of the “crucifixion” terminology. The various terms are not simply used in the sense of “crucify” and “cross,” if by “crucifixion” one means the punishment that Jesus was subjected to according to the main Christian traditions. The terminology is used much more diversely. Almost none of it can be elucidated beyond verbs referring vaguely to some form(s) of suspension, and nouns referring to tools used in such suspension. As a result, most of the crucifixion accounts that scholars cite in the ancient literature have to be rejected, leaving only a few. The New Testament is not spared from this terminological ambiguity. The accounts of the death of Jesus are strikingly sparse. Their chief contribution is usage of the unclear terminology in question. Over-interpretation, and probably even pure imagination, have afflicted nearly every wordbook and dictionary that deals with the terms related to crucifixion as well as scholarly depictions of what happened on Calvary. The immense knowledge of the punishment of crucifixion in general, and the execution of Jesus in particular, cannot be supported by the studied texts.

Brother in Christ, what is your interpretation of this?

A

angellous_evangellous

Let it be God who tells you about me.

This is the abstract from the study:

Brother in Christ, what is your interpretation of this?

Brother in Christ, have you read the text?

(hint: there is NOTHING in the ABSTRACT about a TREE)

Sleeppy

Brother in Christ, have you read the text?

(hint: there is NOTHING in the ABSTRACT about a TREE)

I've read it.

Almost none of it can be elucidated beyond verbs referring vaguely to some form(s) of suspension, and nouns referring to tools used in such suspension.

There are a few mentions of "tree" in Acts, Galatians, and 1 Peter.. among others.

Acts 5:30

The God of our fathers did raise up Jesus, whom ye slew, having hanged upon a tree.

The word used is "xulou." If you look up this word, you'll see a list of definitions that include, "tree".. This same word is used in "Tree of Life." Greek Concordance: ????? (xylou) -- 8 Occurrences

A

angellous_evangellous

I've read it.

There are a few mentions of "tree" in Acts, Galatians, and 1 Peter.. among others.

Acts 5:30

The word used is "xulou." If you look up this word, you'll see a list of definitions that include, "tree".. This same word is used in "Tree of Life." Greek Concordance: ????? (xylou) -- 8 Occurrences

And almost ANY thought process should help you negotiate between historical research and the meaning of the Greek (which you don't know how to read).