• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Cross Stitch

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
I have a friend who does embroidery but not cross stitch. She has a couple of quite popular exhibitions of her work a year, Maybe you could earn a few extra dollars by exhibiting and selling your work.

She has attempted to teach me (brave girl) but failed. Actually the arthritis in my thumb makes it too painful, other than that i can see it would be a creative way to pass some time.

Enjoy.

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
I have a friend who does embroidery but not cross stitch. She has a couple of quite popular exhibitions of her work a year, Maybe you could earn a few extra dollars by exhibiting and selling your work.

She has attempted to teach me (brave girl) but failed. Actually the arthritis in my thumb makes it too painful, other than that i can see it would be a creative way to pass some time.

Enjoy.
I'd like to try embroidery at some point as well. :)

I'll only make dollars if folks accept cat hair on their work... That's really cool that your friend exhibits hers!

I tried knitting years back, but my sons kept taking my knitting needles and ripping my stitches out. I tried to go back to it, but found it too costly. Cross stitching has been very affordable; 50 cents for a roll of floss, rather than the high price of yarn. (The cheap stuff looks awful when you're done.)

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
I'd like to try embroidery at some point as well. :)

I'll only make dollars if folks accept cat hair on their work... That's really cool that your friend exhibits hers!

I tried knitting years back, but my sons kept taking my knitting needles and ripping my stitches out. I tried to go back to it, but found it too costly. Cross stitching has been very affordable; 50 cents for a roll of floss, rather than the high price of yarn. (The cheap stuff looks awful when you're done.)
INFORMATIVE

SkepticThinker

Veteran Member
I used to cross stitch all kinds of stuff years ago when I had more time. I found it extremely relaxing and rewarding. In fact, I was recently thinking of getting back into it. I think you've just inspired me!

JustGeorge

Staff member
Premium Member
I used to cross stitch all kinds of stuff years ago when I had more time. I found it extremely relaxing and rewarding. In fact, I was recently thinking of getting back into it. I think you've just inspired me!
What kinds of stuff did you do?

SkepticThinker

Veteran Member
What kinds of stuff did you do?
I actually used to have a program where you could put in a picture of anything you wanted and it would turn it into a cross stitch pattern for you.
I did a Betty Boop for my niece's bedroom that I created in that program. That one took me months and months to complete and I think almost went blind lol
For my grandmother I did a saying that she liked in like, a harvest theme with pumpkins and leaves and stuff around the border.
I also did a trucker hat for my grandfather with his company logo and name on it. I actually found a hat that was made with the canvas built into it.

What are you into?

JustGeorge

Staff member
Premium Member
I actually used to have a program where you could put in a picture of anything you wanted and it would turn it into a cross stitch pattern for you.
I did a Betty Boop for my niece's bedroom that I created in that program. That one took me months and months to complete and I think almost went blind lol
For my grandmother I did a saying that she liked in like, a harvest theme with pumpkins and leaves and stuff around the border.
I also did a trucker hat for my grandfather with his company logo and name on it. I actually found a hat that was made with the canvas built into it.

What are you into?
I just found one of those last night! Which program did you use?

My first project was an 'aum' symbol. I'm working on Thoth right now.

I think I'd like to convert some of my avatars to cross stitch. :D

SkepticThinker

Veteran Member
I just found one of those last night! Which program did you use?
Oh man, it was so long ago now, I'm now quite sure. Sorry. :(
I'll let you know if I figure it out.
My first project was an 'aum' symbol. I'm working on Thoth right now.
Ohh that'll be a cool one. Maybe my next project too. You're inspiring me all over the place here!
I think I'd like to convert some of my avatars to cross stitch. :D
You can pretty much do whatever you want. Just make sure you've got a really, really good light or you're going to go blind lol
Oh and don't choose too many colours or it's going to take you six years to finish it, like my Betty Boop one :D

JustGeorge

Staff member
Premium Member
Oh man, it was so long ago now, I'm now quite sure. Sorry. :(
I'll let you know if I figure it out.

Ohh that'll be a cool one. Maybe my next project too. You're inspiring me all over the place here!

You can pretty much do whatever you want. Just make sure you've got a really, really good light or you're going to go blind lol
Oh and don't choose too many colours or it's going to take you six years to finish it, like my Betty Boop one :D
How many colors did Betty Boop have?

This is the one I found last night. Some pictures turn out well on it, others don't.

Lighting has been an issue...

SkepticThinker

Veteran Member
How many colors did Betty Boop have?
I think I did around 50 colours which is way, way too much. I mean, it looked cool when I was done with it but it probably would have looked just as good with like, half of that. Plus it would have saved my eyes from some torture :D
This is the one I found last night. Some pictures turn out well on it, others don't.

It was pretty much like that as far as I remember. Nice and easy.
Lighting has been an issue...
I remember buying a big lamp with basically a giant spotlight on it that I could put over my shoulder so it would shine directly onto the canvas. It's kinda hard to keep your shadow out of it though lol.
I also had much better eyesight back then, I might have a tougher time with it now.

JustGeorge

Staff member
Premium Member
I think I did around 50 colours which is way, way too much. I mean, it looked cool when I was done with it but it probably would have looked just as good with like, half of that. Plus it would have saved my eyes from some torture :D

It was pretty much like that as far as I remember. Nice and easy.

I remember buying a big lamp with basically a giant spotlight on it that I could put over my shoulder so it would shine directly onto the canvas. It's kinda hard to keep your shadow out of it though lol.
I also had much better eyesight back then, I might have a tougher time with it now.
I've considered the buying a shoulder lamp... though one of the kids has a beanie with a light on it. Maybe i can use that. :D