• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Cutting Joshua Trees

Eddi

Pantheist Christian
Premium Member
So what do you think of cutting down thousands of Joshua trees for a solar farm?

I love trees and solar power is silly as it doesn't work at night and takes up lots of space

So I am against that

Can't wait until fusion power becomes practical

I think geothermal electricity is the best way to go, plenty of heat deep underground!

The Hammer

Skald
Premium Member
I love trees and solar power is silly as it doesn't work at night and takes up lots of space
Uhm power storage man. "Not working" at night is a bad argument. Battery storage, and residual charges last quite some time.

"Myth #1: Solar only works when the sun is shining. I still need power when it’s raining. Actually, solar technology can be leveraged in virtually any condition, including rainy and snowy days, because some sunlight still reaches the earth. Solar panels tend to perform best in cold and sunny climates because heat interferes with the conversion of sunlight into electricity. (Keep in mind that solar panels collect light, not heat.) On top of that, battery storage can be connected to your solar panels and provide energy at night. This is your clean-energy backup, as opposed to conventional backup generators—if the power goes out in your neighborhood, your power will stay on."

Eddi

Pantheist Christian
Premium Member
Uhm power storage man. "Not working" at night is a bad argument. Battery storage, and residual charges last quite some time.

"Myth #1: Solar only works when the sun is shining. I still need power when it’s raining. Actually, solar technology can be leveraged in virtually any condition, including rainy and snowy days, because some sunlight still reaches the earth. Solar panels tend to perform best in cold and sunny climates because heat interferes with the conversion of sunlight into electricity. (Keep in mind that solar panels collect light, not heat.) On top of that, battery storage can be connected to your solar panels and provide energy at night. This is your clean-energy backup, as opposed to conventional backup generators—if the power goes out in your neighborhood, your power will stay on."

It's still bad to cut down loads of trees to make way for it

The Hammer

Skald
Premium Member
It's still bad to cut down loads of trees to make way for it
Yes. But your initial argument was still a bad one.

And while I am against the mass cutting down of trees. Concessions have to be made in order for renewables to thrive.

Eddi

Pantheist Christian
Premium Member
Yes. But your initial argument was still a bad one.

And while I am against the mass cutting down of trees. Concessions have to be made in order for renewables to thrive.
Yet fewer consessions have to be made for other renewabls such as tidal and geothermal

Not wind turbines though

Those things blight the landscape, unless they are offshore

The Hammer

Skald
Premium Member
Yet fewer consessions have to be made for other renewabls such as tidal and geothermal
Tidal is still in the early stages and may kill marine life or alter water currenta. Same with geothermal, we don't know enough about it yet. With afaik only one experimental plant running in Iceland. Geothermal needs geologically active areas in order to be efficient.

These sorts of tech won't be deployed evenly in all areas.
Not wind turbines though

Those things blight the landscape, unless they are offshore
Wind turbines are not a big deal imo. I don't mind seeing wind farms. They can even be built above tree lines I bet.

Eddi

Pantheist Christian
Premium Member
Wind turbines are not a big deal imo. I don't mind seeing wind farms. They can even be built above tree lines I bet.
Where I live a horrible Saudi Arabian corporation wants to build 65 enormous wind turbines on a spot where there is lots of sensitive wildlife

They will be taller than The London Eye, an enormous ****-off ferris wheel by the river Thames in London

Nobody wants them

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member

The Hammer

Skald
Premium Member
Where I live a horrible Saudi Arabian corporation wants to build 65 enormous wind turbines on a spot where there is lots of sensitive wildlife

They will be taller than The London Eye, an enormous ****-off ferris wheel by the river Thames in London

Nobody wants them
Yeah, there are always lots of NIMBY's.

Eddi

Pantheist Christian
Premium Member
Yeah, there are always lots of NIMBY's.
And lots of dodgy corporations who practice greenwashing to try and force through their horrible for profit designs that bring zero benefits to communities

I mean we are on an island!

Build them offshore!

The Hammer

Skald
Premium Member
And lots of dodgy corporations who practice greenwashing to try and force through their horrible for profit designs that bring zero benefits to communities

I mean we are on an island!

Build them offshore!

Still sounds like a NIMBY comment to me.

"Not in my backyard". Someone who supports green energy/environmentalism. As long as they can't see it and its construction doesn't impact their community.

Eddi

Pantheist Christian
Premium Member
Still sounds like a NIMBY comment to me.

"Not in my backyard". Someone who supports green energy/environmentalism. As long as they can't see it and its construction doesn't impact their community.
Absolutely it is

There is beautiful countryside they want to build on

They are in it only for the £££££

It has absolutely nothing to do with the environment it is an energy corporation

Don't believe the slick PR greenwashing

All the profits will go to Saudi Arabia

There is plenty of room for offshore windfarms

That would be in nobody's back yard

The Hammer

Skald
Premium Member
Absolutely it is

There is beautiful countryside they want to build on

They are in it only for the £££££

It has absolutely nothing to do with the environment it is an energy corporation

Don't believe the slick PR greenwashing

All the profits will go to Saudi Arabia

There is plenty of room for offshore windfalls

That would be in nobody's back yard

OK *shrug*

It won't ever get done then. There will always be NIMBYs. Those that live on the seaside will protest, as will fishers and boaters. It will disrupt their views and livelihoods.

Same as for those built way in the mountains and deserts (endangered species, peoples sentiments, etc; see the OP for instance)

See what I'm getting at?

Concessions must be made.

Eddi

Pantheist Christian
Premium Member
Those that live on the seaside will protest, as will fishers and boaters.
The fisheries are out in the North Sea and the North Atlantic, beyond where the windfarms would be and there are oil rigs out there already

I don't care about boaters, those guys are mere hobbiests, I don't care
Concessions must be made.
Like destroying a natural habitat so some ******** in Saudi Arabia can make a few quid?

The project has nothing to do with saving the environment it is a greedy and aggressive energy corporation that cares little for the countryside

Don't fall for the greenwashing they clearly don't give a **** about the environment

It is perfectly possible to have the turbines in nobody's back yard

The Hammer

Skald
Premium Member
I don't care about boaters, those guys are mere hobbiests, I don't care

Yes, but like you, they will protest "not in my backyard".

And say it should go on those ugly fields over yonder near @Eddi .

I'm not falling for any "green washing", as I'm going off of my knowledge of the Cultural Resource Management sector (which is albeit limited).

Eddi

Pantheist Christian
Premium Member
Yes, but like you, they will protest "not in my backyard".
The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few

You don't seem to care about wildlife and natural beauty

I value those enormously

That windfarm would be a crime against nature and it is totally unnecessary

The project is financially motivated it is a business venture, a private enterprise

The Hammer

Skald
Premium Member
The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.
Yes, the Earth is Many, and humans few. That takes precedence.
You don't seem to care about wildlife and natural beauty
Glad you're a mind reader.
I value those enormously
Debatable with your aversion to green energy near you because it vaguely smells of capitalism and is an "eyesore".
That windfarm would be a crime against nature and it is totally unnecessary
Opinion noted

The project is financially motivated it is a business venture, a private enterprise
Speculation that it is purely financially motivated.