• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Damn atheists! They just can't keep their ideas to themselves

Skwim

Veteran Member
I tell ya, the world is going to hell in a hand basket when people can say whatever they want.

From the November issue of AWAKE magazine.
ScreenShot006.jpg

source (pdf file)

croak

Trickster
Really? Freedom of speech is bad?
I say the world is already in hells handbasket if people can't say whatever they want.
I might be wrong, but judging by the title of the thread, what I take to be the tone of his writing, and the fact that I'm quite sure he's an atheist (but could be wrong about that), I think he was being sarcastic.

On the new atheists: the more the merrier!

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
I like how oftentimes the pot calls the kettle black.

The hypocrisy in this statement. Reading just this snippet of enlarged words, you would think the JW's are describing themselves to a tee. Oh vey! :rolleyes:

Penumbra

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I tell ya, the world is going to hell in a hand basket when people can say whatever they want.
As they should, at least towards the most unethical and nonsensical religious concepts.

I kind of look at my religious discussions as having two different goals.

-When interacting with people from religions I find to be extremely problematic, unethical, nonsensical, and downright harmful, I try to shed light on their errors. Someone has to point out that the emperor is not wearing any clothes.

-When interacting with intelligent and compassionate people that happen to have benign or even beneficial religious worldviews that I currently disagree with, I approach it with the aim of having thoughtful discourse for intellectual stimulation.

Skwim

Veteran Member
I might be wrong, but judging by the title of the thread, what I take to be the tone of his writing, and the fact that I'm quite sure he's an atheist (but could be wrong about that), I think he was being sarcastic.

On the new atheists: the more the merrier!

Agnostic actually. And yes, it was sarcastic.
icon14.gif

linwood

I was actually reading that linked PDF file until they started touting Anthony Flew as evidence for their position.

That`s pretty scummy.

TheKnight

Guardian of Life
Um....isn't "Awake" that one crazy *** Jehovah's Witness magazine?

Of course it's going to be batsh-t dumb. It's JW propaganda. And it certainly isn't the view of any mainstream Christian groups.

Besides, this isn't new, JWs have been saying everyone (not just Atheists) are out to get them for a long time.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Um....isn't "Awake" that one crazy *** Jehovah's Witness magazine?

Of course it's going to be batsh-t dumb. It's JW propaganda. And it certainly isn't the view of any mainstream Christian groups.

Besides, this isn't new, JWs have been saying everyone (not just Atheists) are out to get them for a long time.
I know several JWs, & they've never said anything about us being out to get them.
Moreover, I find them generally at least as reasonable as your "mainstream Christian groups".

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Jehovah's Witnesses grousing about people refusing to keep their views to themselves is pretty damned funny. You don't see us knocking on their doors at 8:30 on Saturday morning.
Speak for yourself, bub! Just how do you think I met the JWs I know?
I even have my own pamphlet....The Clocktower.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
I was actually reading that linked PDF file until they started touting Anthony Flew as evidence for their position.

That`s pretty scummy.

Just what do you have against religious folk taking advantage of a senile old atheist? I don't see you complain when a lion attacks an elderly antelope. You've got a double standard going there!