• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Damn atheists! They just can't keep their ideas to themselves

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
And a 'flag' perhaps, just like us Catholics, we have our own flag:D

A flag would be good. I don't know of anyone who does not like a flag. If atheists would carry a flag with them at all times, parents might have time to get their children across the street when they saw one walking towards them.

DarkSun

:eltiT
A flag would be good. I don't know of anyone who does not like a flag. If atheists would carry a flag with them at all times, parents might have time to get their children across the street when they saw one walking towards them.

But they might not hear them in time. Screw the flag, just put a bell around their necks so innocent folk have enough time to flee.

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
OK, I've been biting my tongue, and I'm sick of it.

I do find it deeply ironic that the same atheists who feel the need to shout their lack of faith from the rooftops say that religious folks should "keep it to themselves."

Which is not to say that the atheists in question should sit down and shut up, either. But the hypocrisy should be noted.

King Salmon

Freshmeat Member

I do find it deeply ironic that the same atheists who feel the need to shout their lack of faith from the rooftops say that religious folks should "keep it to themselves."

Which is not to say that the atheists in question should sit down and shut up, either. But the hypocrisy should be noted.
Yes there are cases where it is blatantly hypocritical, but on the other hand some atheists mean "keep it to yourself" to mean "stop trying to use the government to pass laws based on your religious ideology". Since atheists have no such religious ideology, the same cannot be said about them.

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
Yes there are cases where it is blatantly hypocritical, but on the other hand some atheists mean "keep it to yourself" to mean "stop trying to use the government to pass laws based on your religious ideology". Since atheists have no such religious ideology, the same cannot be said about them.
True, and good point. I wasn't considering secularism.

Penumbra

Veteran Member
Premium Member
^That.

I'm cool with religious people trying to spread their beliefs if they want to. Freedom of speech is extremely important.

But if the separation of church and state is breached, it becomes a problem.

Renji

I would say that the "atheists flag" should be placed in the atheists' specific meeting place (well, in the case of us Catholics, the Catholic flag could actually be seen on St. Peter's Square, they sometimes display it). Every atheists should have a bracelet with "insignia" that can also be found on the flag, so that you could easily distinguish if one is an atheist or not.:D

Autodidact

Intentionally Blank

Helloooo. Knock. Knock. The thread is about the exact opposite. A theist newspaper, ironically, from a sect that spends a lot of time proselytizing strangers, is telling atheists to keep it to themselves. The precise opposite of your post. And we, the atheists, are complaining about the hypocrisy.

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
Helloooo. Knock. Knock. The thread is about the exact opposite. A theist newspaper, ironically, from a sect that spends a lot of time proselytizing strangers, is telling atheists to keep it to themselves. The precise opposite of your post. And we, the atheists, are complaining about the hypocrisy.
Yes, they're hypocritical too. Undeniably.

Autodidact

Intentionally Blank
Yes, they're hypocritical too. Undeniably.
? And that's what the thread's about. The atheists are complaining about their hypocrisy--not telling theists to keep it to themselves, but telling theists who have the nerve to tell other people not to proselytize, not to proselytize. That is, it's suggesting they not be such big hulking hypocrites.

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
? And that's what the thread's about. The atheists are complaining about their hypocrisy--not telling theists to keep it to themselves, but telling theists who have the nerve to tell other people not to proselytize, not to proselytize. That is, it's suggesting they not be such big hulking hypocrites.
All I'm saying is that I see it from both sides.

Autodidact

Intentionally Blank
All I'm saying is that I see it from both sides.
Well, here we have only a single example, from the other side, which you took as a opportunity to criticize only the people not doing it. Odd.

Do you often find atheists knocking on people's doors asking to discuss the fact that God does not exist? When was the last time you passed by a street-corner atheist yelling at people passing by? Do atheists buy up entire radio stations and television networks to exhort people 24 hours a day about the lack of God? Do many atheists refuse to vote for someone because they believe in God? The two sides are not congruent, and you're complaining about the side trying to defend themselves against hypocrisy. I don't get it.

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
Well, here we have only a single example, from the other side, which you took as a opportunity to criticize only the people not doing it. Odd.

Do you often find atheists knocking on people's doors asking to discuss the fact that God does not exist? When was the last time you passed by a street-corner atheist yelling at people passing by? Do atheists buy up entire radio stations and television networks to exhort people 24 hours a day about the lack of God? Do many atheists refuse to vote for someone because they believe in God? The two sides are not congruent, and you're complaining about the side trying to defend themselves against hypocrisy. I don't get it.
Maybe because that's not what I'm doing?

Penumbra

Veteran Member
Premium Member
atheist%2Bevangelists.jpg

jumpingjoy

From this side of the pond many of us are alarmed by the extreme religious right in America who seem pretty rabid, like that awful creature Sarah Palin. If the atheists are making and impact to even up the balance that can only be good for the rest of the world.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
From this side of the pond many of us are alarmed by the extreme religious right in America who seem pretty rabid, like that awful creature Sarah Palin. If the atheists are making and impact to even up the balance that can only be good for the rest of the world.

Atheism is downplayed and demonized in the U.S. and would be political suicide for any canditate brave enough to admit such a stance. If it weren't for religious fundamentalism the right wouldn't have the power and influence that it has today.