• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Darwin's Illusion

LIIA

God is going to be so mad at you if he exists.
Are you talking on behalf of the God that may or may not exist!! Your wishful thinking is pathetic. You keep making empty claims merely because you said so. Maybe it’s enough for you, but you should know that its meaningless for everyone else.

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
Are you talking on behalf of the God that may or may not exist!! Your wishful thinking is pathetic. You keep making empty claims merely because you said so. Maybe it’s enough for you, but you should know that its meaningless for everyone else.

Do you understand the difference between methodological naturalism versus the philosophical one. And the difference what is and what we ought to do?

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
The core discussion of this thread was the ToE. If you agree that the topic of the thread came to an end, then next is to have a fresh perspective of life/reality that is free from the illusions of Neo-Darwinism.

Nothing follows from that in the strict sense. You have to go wider if you want to claim something about the world as such.

LIIA

Do you understand the difference between methodological naturalism versus the philosophical one. And the difference what is and what we ought to do?
I personally don’t agree to make such distinction. The roots are the same and the overlap is huge. Science is born from natural philosophy and I think science still has the genes of natural philosophy but with a methodology that is more focused on observation/experimentation, regardless the rational basis of reasoning in the process of interpreting the observations and extracting conclusion is similar. Philosophy applies the power of mind, logic, rational reasoning to understand reality, which is necessarily essential for methodological naturalism as well. Without the philosophical principals establishing the logic of inference, no interpretation of the observations or the underlying reality would be possible. But Philosophy may continue in the realm where science stops, and no further observations are possible.

LIIA

For me, it's my conscience and its intuitions.
Yes, we are born with a “conscience” that gives us an “inclination” towards moral conduct, but it doesn’t define it. Before we discuss the need for “definition”, I have to ask what is “conscience” to you? Is it merely interactions of matter governed by natural laws that yield a dictated outcome? Can you call the outcome of a chemical reaction to be moral or immoral?

Morality is always associated with your choice, if interactions of matter and your specific genes dictate your conduct, is there still a choice? Can the natural outcome of natural processes be moral or immoral?

Back to the “definition”, let's consider an example of a good person with good “conscience” (whatever it means), he is driving on the freeway or maybe a side street, he may decide that driving slow is best for safety or possibly very fast to save time for everyone, he may have good intentions but it’s not enough, unless the rules are defined for him by an authority, he wouldn’t necessarily know what is best. If there is no definition for the rules, then there are no rules but rather randomness/chaos.

Rules are not made for these bad people to restrict their conduct but rather for good people as guidelines to ensure fairness, justice and safety for all. The rules cannot be relative. “Relative rules” is equal to “no rules/ chaos”. An inclination to do good or good intentions/intuitions is not enough.
The religious bristle at such a thought.
If you take the religious definition of morality out of the equation, if the genes and mere interactions of matter dictate your behavior and conduct, why would be any action immoral/wrong? If your conduct brings you a benefit or fulfills your need in one way or another and you can get away with it, why would it be wrong?

Why is the Nazi selective breeding of the “Nordic” race with better biological “Aryan” traits would be wrong? Why racial biology/ eugenics programs would be wrong if it allows better inheritance of traits? Why forced sterilization of people with physical or intellectual disability that can affect inheritance of traits by offspring would be wrong? (Between 60,000 and 90,000 Americans were subjected to involuntary sterilization).

If we are merely animals that are responding to natural instincts/needs, then why incestuous relationship between mother and son or father and daughter would be wrong? Why rape, or sexual abuse of children would be wrong? Why stealing and killing would be wrong? It becomes merely natural fulfillment of needs and natural struggle for survival. The laws of the jungle become the only laws of nature that govern, not only for wild animal but also humans who are no longer different than any animal.

The evolutionary concept eliminates any meaning or reference for Honesty/Morality. It becomes a matter of relative preference or need as it fits in the struggle for survival. Those proponents of the ToE who claims to embrace honesty/morality and extend a helping hand to the weak and disabled are necessarily hypocrites who are betraying the only principle of nature to eliminate the unfit along the natural course towards prosperity.
It always has, and that's just fine. There will always be those trying to cajole one into conformity with their religion's version
Relative morality is not fine, “relative rules” is essentially “no rules”. Conformity is the way for harmony and justice but if you conform to relative rules, then in all likelihood, superiority of brute force/self-interest will govern, which can be seen more clearly between different groups or different nations.
but they don't have the individual's interests at heart, and what they offer is flawed.
Meaningless empty claims.

I wouldn’t claim the same about you because I know at heart; you’re inclined towards morality. It’s embedded in your inner self/ conscience. Some will embrace it, some will not. It’s the free will, never the interactions of matter.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Keep dreaming, you have challenged no one and I cherry picked nothing.

Do you think “LegionOnomaMoi" (an evolutionist) is cherry picking as well? See his post # 2266.

Darwin's Illusion | Page 114 | Religious Forums

Wake up, the contemporary theory of evolution, i.e., the Modern Synthesis/Neo-Darwinism is an outdated theory.

No one is taking your nonsense seriously, at least. I’m not.
And you continue to admit that you are wrong. Thank you, thank you.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
This what you fail to understand, it's not my post. It’s a post by an EVOLUTIONIST like yourself. Do you understand? but he is Knowledgeable and ethical. Again, See his post # 2266

Darwin's Illusion | Page 114 | Religious Forums
No, I,understood that fine the first time. He is ripping you a new one in that post. So you are still referring to old arguments that you lost. Thank you for admitting that you are wrong again.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
How so? You keep claiming that he is a liar. That is a foolish mistake if one really believes in a god.

cladking

Yes, we are born with a “conscience” that gives us an “inclination” towards moral conduct, but it doesn’t define it. Before we discuss the need for “definition”, I have to ask what is “conscience” to you? Is it merely interactions of matter governed by natural laws that yield a dictated outcome? Can you call the outcome of a chemical reaction to be moral or immoral?

Morality is always associated with your choice, if interactions of matter and your specific genes dictate your conduct, is there still a choice? Can the natural outcome of natural processes be moral or immoral?

Back to the “definition”, let's consider an example of a good person with good “conscience” (whatever it means), he is driving on the freeway or maybe a side street, he may decide that driving slow is best for safety or possibly very fast to save time for everyone, he may have good intentions but it’s not enough, unless the rules are defined for him by an authority, he wouldn’t necessarily know what is best. If there is no definition for the rules, then there are no rules but rather randomness/chaos.

Rules are not made for these bad people to restrict their conduct but rather for good people as guidelines to ensure fairness, justice and safety for all. The rules cannot be relative. “Relative rules” is equal to “no rules/ chaos”. An inclination to do good or good intentions/intuitions is not enough.

If you take the religious definition of morality out of the equation, if the genes and mere interactions of matter dictate your behavior and conduct, why would be any action immoral/wrong? If your conduct brings you a benefit or fulfills your need in one way or another and you can get away with it, why would it be wrong?

Why is the Nazi selective breeding of the “Nordic” race with better biological “Aryan” traits would be wrong? Why racial biology/ eugenics programs would be wrong if it allows better inheritance of traits? Why forced sterilization of people with physical or intellectual disability that can affect inheritance of traits by offspring would be wrong? (Between 60,000 and 90,000 Americans were subjected to involuntary sterilization).

If we are merely animals that are responding to natural instincts/needs, then why incestuous relationship between mother and son or father and daughter would be wrong? Why rape, or sexual abuse of children would be wrong? Why stealing and killing would be wrong? It becomes merely natural fulfillment of needs and natural struggle for survival. The laws of the jungle become the only laws of nature that govern, not only for wild animal but also humans who are no longer different than any animal.

The evolutionary concept eliminates any meaning or reference for Honesty/Morality. It becomes a matter of relative preference or need as it fits in the struggle for survival. Those proponents of the ToE who claims to embrace honesty/morality and extend a helping hand to the weak and disabled are necessarily hypocrites who are betraying the only principle of nature to eliminate the unfit along the natural course towards prosperity.

Relative morality is not fine, “relative rules” is essentially “no rules”. Conformity is the way for harmony and justice but if you conform to relative rules, then in all likelihood, superiority of brute force/self-interest will govern, which can be seen more clearly between different groups or different nations.

I wouldn’t claim the same about you because I know at heart; you’re inclined towards morality. It’s embedded in your inner self/ conscience. Some will embrace it, some will not. It’s the free will, never the interactions of matter.

I have a different perspective so it's remarkable how closely I agree.

In general though let me add this: As we get closer and closer to the truth/ God's way/ understanding the reality more and more will become apparent and morality is most directly affected. Removing Darwin will be a big first step in righting the ship of state that has been floundering through turbulent seas for over a century.

We can not continue to have the nonsensical beliefs we have without extreme risk of engaging in behavior that results in the extinction of the human race. We have been rushing headlong into oblivion caused by bad assumptions.

Life is individual, life is free will, life is consciousness. Darwin was confused by his assumptions just like all homo omnisciencis.

cladking

That's why I don't call the accumulation of changes in a slime mold memory. You seem to be defining such changes as memory, and then declaring the organism conscious for accumulating them - an equivocation fallacy - but for me, there's no more memory involved there than there is with a scar in a tree from lightning hitting it.

It's not the slime mold changing but rather it changes its environment. It knows where it's been equivalent to me writing notes in a little book that I carry with me. The slime mold leads a very simple life using very simple consciousness so has no need for a pencil, writing, and a little black book.

Niches aren't part of the definition of species.

That's kindda part of the problem. Whales do poorly on mountain tops.

In a very real way niches are species because species quickly adapt to fill any niche.

Remember there are no living "species" anyway, only individuals.

I don't understand exactly what you require be shown,

You need to show speciation (Evolution) occurring gradually in the fossils. Not fits and starts. This doesn't exist because it doesn't happen. I'm not saying it can't happen merely that it's so far fetched it probably has never happened in earth history. Before a "species" can accumulate enough changes that it can be called "speciation" the niche changes and it either becomes extinct or it becomes a new species. There is no "survival of the fittest" even though "adaptation" mimics it enough that it looks like it. "Adaptation" is not "Evolution".

Last edited:

cladking

Niches aren't part of the definition of species.

This is part of the problem with axioms, definitions, and assumptions. "Species" needs to be better defined to reflect reality and the nature of life. Rather than define it as those individuals who can interbreed, define it as the means that individuals within a niche thrive and reproduce.

Niches and behavior define life. Life is the manifestation of individual free will within an environment that gave rise to it.

Fix the definitions and the interpretations and paradigms will take care of themselves.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
"reading comprehension fail"
:facepalm:

You said that they claim god is a liar. I asked how god is a liar.
No, you did not. You asked this:

"How is a god a liar?"

How do you go from that question to your new version of it? You asked me how God is a liar and I never made that claim. What is worse is that you should have realized that your post would not go away. I do not tend to quote half posts when the post is as short as ours was. I used the "Reply{ button and responded to the whole thing. Either you did not understand or you utterly failed to ask a question correctly. Once again when you used a facepalm it applied to your own ineptness.

Do you want an answer to your second question? You need to acknowledge how you screwed up first..

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
The core discussion of this thread was the ToE. If you agree that the topic of the thread came to an end, then next is to have a fresh perspective of life/reality that is free from the illusions
So far it appears that you are the one has the illusions. You appear to be bothered by the fact that you are an ape. You are grasping at straws by continually referring to those that you do not understand, such as Gould, or those whose statements do not appear to be well accepted and also are not well supported, such as Denis Noble. The problem is that none of those people support your beliefs.

All of your sources accept the fact that life as we see it are the product of evolution. At best they are merely arguing about the cause of evolution and none of them say "God done did it Cletus."

An honest interlocutor would present their arguments in this fashion:

This is what I believe.

This is the evidence that supports my beliefs.

Can you do that? Can you state clearly what you believe and what evidence supports it.? So far all you have are failed arguments. That is why every time that you refer to past posts on this thread you are only acknowledging your previous losses. That is why I thank you every time that you make that mistake.

It Aint Necessarily So

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Morality becomes relative only when it’s up to every individual to define it
Every individual creates or adopts his moral code. The choice is subjective, and none of the choices can be called better without defining a goal. My moral intuition is irresistible to me. I must conform to it or suffer its condemnation (guilt). And it's the same one that has done the most to improve the human condition - the values of humanism. For societies, that intuition is utilitarianism, or the society that offers the most opportunity for the most people to pursue happiness as they understand it. For me personally, it's the Golden Rule. The rest comes from rational ethics, where reason is used to choose rules that facilitate those moral intuitions. That part is empirical. We can see whether our rules facilitate that vision or not.
when the defining criteria are ordained by the Creator for everyone to follow, then it’s not a matter of a relative view/preference.
I don't believe that any creator has given man a moral code in words, so I don't respect received moral codes. Furthermore, the most common one, Christian, doesn't comport with my moral values in many places, and in my opinion. That's the problem with received morals from antiquity. They're crystallized. Only compassion and the willingness to move past those old ways of thinking can correct their moral errors.
In almost all cases, the body plans and structures present in Cambrian period animals have no clear morphological antecedents in earlier strata. No transitional intermediates are found in lower strata to connect the complex Cambrian animals with those simpler living forms of the Precambrian or the Ediacaran life.
Is this part of an argument against the theory of evolution?
all central assumptions of the theory have been disproved
None have.
they all believe that you are a monkey but the point is that they cannot back such belief up with a scientific theory
Man is a primate with monkey ancestors. And yes, that is supported by evolutionary theory. It isn't necessary that everybody agree. In fact, the experts in evolutionary biology don't really care what any of the rest of think including people like me who agree with them. Why should they be interested in lay opinions?
till a new agreed upon framework replaces the outdated/disproved framework of the Modern Synthesis/Neo-Darwinism, you have nothing.
We have a theory that unifies mountains of data from a multitude of sources, accurately makes predictions about what can and cannot be found in nature, provides a rational mechanism for evolution consistent with the known actions of nature, accounts for both the commonality of all life as well as biodiversity, and has had practical applications that have improved the human condition in areas like medicine and agriculture.
then next is to have a fresh perspective of life/reality that is free from the illusions of Neo-Darwinism.
What illusions? You keep making such claims, but where's the support for them? Nothing need change. The theory is correct beyond reasonable doubt. The only way it can be incorrect is if the evidence supporting it were a fraud perpetrated by some deceptive superhuman power, and that would not be known unless a falsifying find were uncovered, which hasn't occurred in a century-and-a-half of looking.
Yes, we are born with a “conscience” that gives us an “inclination” towards moral conduct, but it doesn’t define it.
It does for me.
what is “conscience” to you?
The irresistible intuition that some actions are desirable and others the opposite.
Is it merely interactions of matter governed by natural laws that yield a dictated outcome? Can you call the outcome of a chemical reaction to be moral or immoral?
It is a function of the human mind and the result of naturalistic evolution. I don't judge chemistry by these intuitions, but I consider them the result of material mechanisms.
It is his intention that makes the act moral, not the outcome, which may be unintended. This is where the rational in rational ethics comes into play, and what make that process empirical. We have to test our opinions to see whether they generate the intended outcome.
if the genes and mere interactions of matter dictate your behavior and conduct, why would be any action immoral/wrong?
What I say and do is what feels moral to me, and what is experienced as immoral is avoided. I understand that you wish to impeach that approach, but I've already rejected the alternative - accepting received moral values uncritically - and trust myself more than those who would tell me what to consider right and wrong, especially the Abrahamic religions, which are rife with what I consider moral errors. Look at that garden myth and the flood myth. The deity in those is immoral by my standards.
If your conduct brings you a benefit or fulfills your need in one way or another and you can get away with it, why would it be wrong?
Each has to judge that for himself. And of course, short term rewards don't
“relative rules” is essentially “no rules”
Disagree. My rules don't need to be the same as yours.
Conformity is the way for harmony and justice
Disagree. Conformity with humanist values generate harmony and justice, but I see a lot of conformity in American evangelicals, and their values are far from just.
if you conform to relative rules, then in all likelihood, superiority of brute force/self-interest will govern, which can be seen more clearly between different groups or different nations.
Disagree, and irrelevant. I will be true to my conscience even if nobody shares my values and even if the world goes to hell in a basket.
I commented that those telling others how they ought to act, "don't have the individual's interests at heart, and what they offer is flawed." I find that quite meaningful and a useful warning. I wouldn't give or take the values in the Sermon on the Mount. They weren't included in canon for our benefit, but rather, for those who would exploit you and hope that you take it without an uprising. Be meek. Be longsuffering. Turn the other cheek, for your reward will come after death - we promise!

Last edited:

It Aint Necessarily So

Veteran Member
Premium Member
It's not the slime mold changing but rather it changes its environment. It knows where it's been equivalent to me writing notes in a little book that I carry with me. The slime mold leads a very simple life using very simple consciousness so has no need for a pencil, writing, and a little black book.
No, it doesn't know where it's been if it's not conscious, which I define differently than you do, although I couldn't give your definition. Consciousness is awareness, which requires a brain. A slime mold is no more conscious than a gallbladder.
In a very real way niches are species because species quickly adapt to fill any niche.
No, niches are not species.
there are no living "species" anyway, only individuals.
Individuals that can produce fertile offspring comprise a species. You might as well say that there are no societies, just individuals.
Before a "species" can accumulate enough changes that it can be called "speciation" the niche changes and it either becomes extinct or it becomes a new species.
I've already argued that niches need not change for speciation to occur. You didn't rebut it, meaning give the counterargument that shows just what you consider wrong with the comment and what evidence supports that. Without that, I have no reason to believe that the comment isn't correct.
"Adaptation" is not "Evolution".
Evolution is a type of adaptation.
"Species" needs to be better defined to reflect reality and the nature of life. Rather than define it as those individuals who can interbreed, define it as the means that individuals within a niche thrive and reproduce.
Why? You need to provide compelling arguments to change critically thinking minds. You either don't realize that or don't care to change those minds. But if this thread goes another 30 or 50 pages, and you still are just making claims without argument, you will be right where you are now.

We Never Know

No Slack
No, you did not. You asked this:

"How is a god a liar?"

How do you go from that question to your new version of it? You asked me how God is a liar and I never made that claim. What is worse is that you should have realized that your post would not go away. I do not tend to quote half posts when the post is as short as ours was. I used the "Reply{ button and responded to the whole thing. Either you did not understand or you utterly failed to ask a question correctly. Once again when you used a facepalm it applied to your own ineptness.

Do you want an answer to your second question? You need to acknowledge how you screwed up first..

"No, you did not. You asked this"

"How is a god a liar?"

:facepalm::facepalm:

You said that they claim god a liar.

I first asked how is a god a liar?

Btw... In my second reply with "How is god a liar is the same question I just forgot the "is" in red

But you do you :rolleyes::D

Audie

Veteran Member
Every individual creates or adopts his moral code. The choice is subjective, and none of the choices can be called better without defining a goal. My moral intuition is irresistible to me. I must conform to it or suffer its condemnation (guilt). And it's the same one that has done the most to improve the human condition - the values of humanism. For societies, that intuition is utilitarianism, or the society that offers the most opportunity for the most people to pursue happiness as they understand it. For me personally, it's the Golden Rule. The rest comes from rational ethics, where reason is used to choose rules that facilitate those moral intuitions. That part is empirical. We can see whether our rules facilitate that vision or not.

I don't believe that any creator has given man a moral code in words, so I don't respect received moral codes. Furthermore, the most common one, Christian, doesn't comport with my moral values in many places, and in my opinion. That's the problem with received morals from antiquity. They're crystallized. Only compassion and the willingness to move past those old ways of thinking can correct their moral errors.

Is this part of an argument against the theory of evolution?

None have.

Man is a primate with monkey ancestors. And yes, that is supported by evolutionary theory. It isn't necessary that everybody agree. In fact, the experts in evolutionary biology don't really care what any of the rest of think including people like me who agree with them. Why should they be interested in lay opinions?

We have a theory that unifies mountains of data from a multitude of sources, accurately makes predictions about what can and cannot be found in nature, provides a rational mechanism for evolution consistent with the known actions of nature, accounts for both the commonality of all life as well as biodiversity, and has had practical applications that have improved the human condition in areas like medicine and agriculture.

What illusions? You keep making such claims, but where's the support for them? Nothing need change. The theory is correct beyond reasonable doubt. The only way it can be incorrect is if the evidence supporting it were a fraud perpetrated by some deceptive superhuman power, and that would not be known unless a falsifying find were uncovered, which hasn't occurred in a century-and-a-half of looking.

It does for me.

The irresistible intuition that some actions are desirable and others the opposite.

It is a function of the human mind and the result of naturalistic evolution. I don't judge chemistry by these intuitions, but I consider them the result of material mechanisms.

It is his intention that makes the act moral, not the outcome, which may be unintended. This is where the rational in rational ethics comes into play, and what make that process empirical. We have to test our opinions to see whether they generate the intended outcome.

What I say and do is what feels moral to me, and what is experienced as immoral is avoided. I understand that you wish to impeach that approach, but I've already rejected the alternative - accepting received moral values uncritically - and trust myself more than those who would tell me what to consider right and wrong, especially the Abrahamic religions, which are rife with what I consider moral errors. Look at that garden myth and the flood myth. The deity in those is immoral by my standards.

Each has to judge that for himself. And of course, short term rewards don't

Disagree. My rules don't need to be the same as yours.

Disagree. Conformity with humanist values generate harmony and justice, but I see a lot of conformity in American evangelicals, and their values are far from just.

Disagree, and irrelevant. I will be true to my conscience even if nobody shares my values and even if the world goes to hell in a basket.

I commented that those telling others how they ought to act, "don't have the individual's interests at heart, and what they offer is flawed." I find that quite meaningful and a useful warning. I wouldn't give or take the values in the Sermon on the Mount. They weren't included in canon for our benefit, but rather, for those who would exploit you and hope that you take it without an uprising. Be meek. Be longsuffering. Turn the other cheek, for your reward will come after death - we promise!
WF