• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Dawkins’ Belief Scale

Dawkins' Belief Scale

• Total voters

tumbleweed41

Resident Liberal Hippie
For the purposes of this poll, God is defined as any singular deity. For instance, YHWH, Jehovah, Allah, Krishna, "First Cause", etc.

Poll courtesy of Richard Dawkins' "The God Delusion.

Last edited:

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
Singular deity? Are we excluding non-monotheists here, then? Even if we aren't, it's really hard to answer that poll. How I answer it depends on the deity in question.

tumbleweed41

Resident Liberal Hippie
Richard Dawkins rates himself as a 6
"On a scale of seven, where one means I know he exists, and seven I know he doesn't, I call myself a six. That doesn't mean I'm absolutely confident, that I absolutely know, because I don't."

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
So, for the purpose of this poll, God is defined.

That leaves out a large portion of the world's religious. :)

The Sum of Awe

Brought to you by the moment that spacetime began.
I can't really say I fit on this scale, I know the idea of a personal God is more absurd than russel's teapot, but I can say the Deist God is possible.

Road Warrior

Seeking the middle path..
For the purposes of this poll, God is defined as any singular deity. For instance, YHWH, Jehovah, Allah, Krishna, "First Cause", etc.

I interpret "God" also to encompass beliefs that all of the Universe and whatever is outside of it (if anything) is "God" or a single force, that we are all "One". A "singular deity", but not necessarily a separate one.

Which reminds me of the joke where the Zen master walks up to a New York City hot dog vendor and says "Make me one with everything".
karrie.gif

Road Warrior

Seeking the middle path..
I can't really say I fit on this scale, I know the idea of a personal God is more absurd than russel's teapot, but I can say the Deist God is possible.

Agreed since there appears to be little evidence of a personal God except in legend. Separate out all of the arguments for a personal God and a lot of the atheist arguments about the existence of God fall away. Even Dawkins admits he can't be certain.

The Sum of Awe

Brought to you by the moment that spacetime began.
Agreed since there appears to be little evidence of a personal God except in legend. Separate out all of the arguments for a personal God and a lot of the atheist arguments about the existence of God fall away. Even Dawkins admits he can't be certain.

None of us can be certain of anything, nobody was asking what we were certain of, they were asking what we believed it was.

[youtube]-2JoR2LzHw0[/youtube]
Edward the Agnostic - YouTube

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006
I voted "strong theist," but I objected to the "I know" part. Would rather that it read, "I believe."

fallingblood

Agnostic Theist
I put pure agnostic. Even though I choose to believe in God, I think it is just as possible that God does not exist.