• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Dawkins’ Belief Scale

Dawkins' Belief Scale

• Total voters

Road Warrior

Seeking the middle path..
I voted "strong theist," but I objected to the "I know" part. Would rather that it read, "I believe."

Well, Dawkins isn't exactly "fair and balanced" when it comes to his opinions on spiritual beliefs. :D

If I'd written the scale, I'd not only make sure both ends of the scale were balanced in terms of verbiage, but I'd make it less about "probability" since there is no way to judge the odds of something beyond the Natural Universe, and more like you stated, about beliefs.

With that in mind, I'd make the center of the scale read something like this:
"4. Completely impartial agnostic. 'God’s existence and non-existence is unknowable, unprovable and, therefore, beyond the realm of science or logical discussion'."

The scale in the book is slightly different from the OP:
1. Strong theist. 100 percent probability of God. In the words of C.G. Jung, ‘I do not believe, I know.’

2. Very high probability but short of 100 per cent. De facto theist. ‘I cannot know for certain, but I strongly believe in God and live my life on the assumption that he is there

3. Higher than 50 per cent but not very high. Technically agnostic but leaning towards theism. ‘I am very uncertain, but I am inclined to believe in God.’

4. Exactly 50 per cent. Completely impartial agnostic. ‘God’s existence and non-existence are exactly equiprobable.’

5. Lower than 50 per cent but not very low. Technically agnostic but leaning towards atheism. ‘I don’t know whether God exists but I’m inclined to be sceptical.’

6. Very low probability, but short of zero. De facto atheist. ‘I cannot know for certain but I think God is very improbable, and I live my life on the assumption that he is not there.’

7. Strong atheist. ‘I know there is no God, with the same conviction as Jung ‘knows’ there is one.’
The God Delusion

Spectrum of theistic probability - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I believe the OP scale was derived from this source:
Dawkins Belief Scale Images | ChristopherSisk.com

cablescavenger

I am antitheist and the only thing that stopped me ticking the last box had more to do with me having to concede I cannot know for certain rather than any doubt I have that God might exist, I am leaving the door open for the only miracle God seems incapable of providing.

Here until I storm off again
Premium Member
I mean God as in The Creator, not Spirit / the force that existed before and interpenetrates.

Man of Faith

Or you can use that as evidence of intellectual honesty. I wouldn't trust someone who professed a 100% belief in anything, let a lone a god.

I was thinking more along the lines of, it is possible to know there is a God and know him personally, and the ones that know God, know that they know. That would make sense in light of the poll numbers. Unless you are ready to say that there are more intellectually dishonest theists than atheists.

crystalonyx

There are many deinitions of what a "god" is. I've seen none that are really any more than faith based. Thus strong atheism is as viable as any other position.

9Westy9

Sceptic, Libertarian, Egalitarian
Premium Member
Interesting, there are more strong theists than strong atheists, I guess I can use that as evidence for God.

it1vntjmob.gif

tumbleweed41

Resident Liberal Hippie
I was thinking more along the lines of, it is possible to know there is a God and know him personally, and the ones that know God, know that they know. That would make sense in light of the poll numbers. Unless you are ready to say that there are more intellectually dishonest theists than atheists.
I think it shows a difference in thinking between the strong theist and the de-facto atheist.

The Strong Theist thinks subjectively and uses personal feelings as "evidence" of God.

The De-Facto Atheist thinks empirically and realizes he/she cannot "prove" some sort of deity does not exist.

And the reason you see fewer Strong Atheists is because of the tendency of atheists to think empirically.

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member
The poll seems to show what I would think. Atheists use the computer more than the religious and all atheists that answered this poll have a belief in a concept of God. Proof is that they answered the poll.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
I think it shows a difference in thinking between the strong theist and the de-facto atheist.

The Strong Theist thinks subjectively and uses personal feelings as "evidence" of God.

The De-Facto Atheist thinks empirically and realizes he/she cannot "prove" some sort of deity does not exist.

And the reason you see fewer Strong Atheists is because of the tendency of atheists to think empirically.

That makes sense and seems very plausible. How strange for someone to post something that makes sense on RF! The Apocalypse is nigh!

Tristesse

I think that might be the case.

Man of Faith

Hang on, I'm trying to think of a rebuttal that makes sense, give me a couple days!

Road Warrior

Seeking the middle path..
Interesting, there are more strong theists than strong atheists, I guess I can use that as evidence for God.
The poll seems to show what I would think. Atheists use the computer more than the religious and all atheists that answered this poll have a belief in a concept of God. Proof is that they answered the poll.

Polls such as these are fun, but almost completely lacking on proper scientific methodology for poll taking. IMO, to assume that it is evidence of anything other than some fun numbers about this thread isn't reasonable.

I'm new here, so I don't have a good gauge on the ratios of different member's beliefs, which groups here are more outspoken than others and other variables encountered in such polls. The results are interesting, but more fun than scientific.