• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Deep Religious Conversation?

painted wolf

Grey Muzzle
Yeah, we are into deep religious conversations... and no we don't require drugs to do so... and yes our theology is just as complex as Dharmic ones.

And yes, we are still around so please don't talk about us in the past tense. :cool:

There were/are generally several religious societies within any given nation, each with their own particular take on spiritual matters and with their own particular ceremonies. With a religion based deeply on individual relationships with the divine, discussion with trusted elders is a vital part of the religious experience. Not to mention the fact that getting together for ceremonies of all sorts is all about discussing religious matters as well as practical ones.

wa:do

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
pw, I'm sadly ignorant of Native American faiths, and I don't like not knowing. :D
Where would you suggest I learn more?

painted wolf

Grey Muzzle
Generally with the Nation you are interested in's web site. They usually have a FAQ and contact information for people you can ask polite questions of.

There aren't any book of scripture to read because our religions are very experiential. There are some good diaries out there that can give you a feel for the culture and peoples personal experience.

Black Elk Speaks and Lakota Woman come to mind. They give two distinct views of Lakota history from two very important moments in time and show how much the religion is intertwined in the culture.

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
Generally with the Nation you are interested in's web site. They usually have a FAQ and contact information for people you can ask polite questions of.

There aren't any book of scripture to read because our religions are very experiential. There are some good diaries out there that can give you a feel for the culture and peoples personal experience.

Black Elk Speaks and Lakota Woman come to mind. They give two distinct views of Lakota history from two very important moments in time and show how much the religion is intertwined in the culture.

I have a question I go back and forth on.

I have a trace of Comanche blood somewhere in my family tree, BUT it was a great (and dangerous) scandal at the time, so the family covered it up. I've always had a wistful longing to know more about my Native heritage, but I feel like I don't have the right to try to claim it.

I'm pretty sure I don't qualify for tribal membership or anything, but that's not what I want anyway. I just want to reconnect.

What do you think?

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
Thanks, I'll have to have a look.

I think I'll start off with the Cherokee to begin with, and then as I learn more about the different groups I'll contact others. :)

atanu

Premium Member

Is Castaneda of any value?

beenherebeforeagain

Rogue Animist
Premium Member

That's a very good question. I personally have a great affinity for at least the earlier works by Castaneda (although no desire or effort to follow the Path of Knowledge that he laid out, beyond some initial steps to confirm what he said through experience), but I've never heard much--or any--discussion by any Native Americans. It's clear though from the early writings that he maintained that his tutelage under dons Juan and Genaro was not specific to any nation's tradition, although later he claimed it was Toltec in origin.

painted wolf

Grey Muzzle
I've only ever heard warnings against him for several reasons: Including advocating the use of plants known to be deadly if mistreated.

He's at the top of every list of "plastic shamans" I've ever read and have never heard a good word from any elder on his "teachings".

A link of interest: The dark legacy of Carlos Castaneda - James Frey - Salon.com

I would have added the page "New Age Frauds and Plastic Shamans" article on him, but they are redesigning their site and the "known frauds" section is currently down.

Walkntune

An old Cherokee told his Grandson " My son, there Is a battle between two wolves inside each of us. One Is Evil. It Is Anger, Jealousy, Greed, Resentment, Inferiority, Lies and Ego. The other Is Good. It Is Joy, Peace, Love, Hope, Humility, Kindness, Empathy and Truth." the boy thought about It and asked " Grandfather, which wolf win's?" the old man quietly replied " The one You Feed."

painted wolf

Grey Muzzle
I have a question I go back and forth on.

I have a trace of Comanche blood somewhere in my family tree, BUT it was a great (and dangerous) scandal at the time, so the family covered it up. I've always had a wistful longing to know more about my Native heritage, but I feel like I don't have the right to try to claim it.

I'm pretty sure I don't qualify for tribal membership or anything, but that's not what I want anyway. I just want to reconnect.

What do you think?
I'm so sorry I missed this!

I would start by checking out the Comanche nations web page: http://www.comanchenation.com/

If nothing else you can start to learn where the nation is today and where it's going in the future. :D

painted wolf

Grey Muzzle
An old Cherokee told his Grandson " My son, there Is a battle between two wolves inside each of us. One Is Evil. It Is Anger, Jealousy, Greed, Resentment, Inferiority, Lies and Ego. The other Is Good. It Is Joy, Peace, Love, Hope, Humility, Kindness, Empathy and Truth." the boy thought about It and asked " Grandfather, which wolf win's?" the old man quietly replied " The one You Feed."
I've heard a variation on that... it's one of my faves. :D

atanu

Premium Member
I've only ever heard warnings against him for several reasons: Including advocating the use of plants known to be deadly if mistreated.

He's at the top of every list of "plastic shamans" I've ever read and have never heard a good word from any elder on his "teachings".

A link of interest: The dark legacy of Carlos Castaneda - James Frey - Salon.com

I would have added the page "New Age Frauds and Plastic Shamans" article on him, but they are redesigning their site and the "known frauds" section is currently down.

Thanks painted wolf

painted wolf

Grey Muzzle
+1
A cool expression-philosophy I heard a local Elder speak about was how to experience and practice "The Good Mind".

Totally stuck with me :)
I'm often struck by how much First Nations and Eastern religions have in common when it comes to basic philosophy.

Especially in regards to balance and mindfulness.

SageTree

Spiritual Friend
Premium Member
I'm often struck by how much First Nations and Eastern religions have in common when it comes to basic philosophy.

Especially in regards to balance and mindfulness.

No doubt eh?

When considering how earth based many of the Eastern Traditions are or started of as the picture becomes more clear.

Pretty cool stuff though.

I'm honoured to have had Friends who've included me in their spiritual life.

Upper BC was a good good place for my Soul and Mind.