• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Defend Hell

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
An all-powerful god can do whatever it wants. It needs no reason or logic. I suppose this might explain a lot about those who claim a belief in such a god as well.

The only reason they attempt to make it seem logical is to gain converts. It's that mandate they have to make disciples of all nations. Used to be the threat of hell was enough. Unfortunately now a days they find it necessary to attempt the logical argument.

Logic is the creation of the devil to confound the faith of man. Better if they abandon all attempts at logic. Religious folks aren't usually so good at it anyway.

“Reason is the greatest enemy that faith has; it never comes to the aid of spiritual things, but - more frequently than not - struggles against the divine Word, treating with contempt all that emanates from God”

james2ko

If you believe in a place of eternal punishment after death, Why do you think it should it exist?

Here are some common arguments to start things off.

A) We need justice, so those who are evil need to be punished.
In response to this I simply ask, why? What purpose does vengeance serve? Every religion that I've come across teaches that seeking vengeance only leads to suffering and that forgiveness is necessary for enlightenment. Do you value vengeance more than compassion?

B) Those who choose to go to hell must want it to exist, so it's only fair to give them what they want.
This is often accompanied by, "Hell is merely a separation from God, not a place of physical torture (but it's still a terrible place to spend eternity)." There is a big difference between choosing to go to hell and choosing to do evil things. No one in their right mind would choose to spend eternity in a place of despair.

C) Hell is necessary to make heaven a meaningful reward.
I don't think I've ever heard this stated outright, but it's often implied. Why can't we all win and enjoy heaven together? Do you need to know that others are losing in order to feel like you're winning?

Why do you think hell should exist?

Let's say an unbeliever or anyone who, for whatever reason, did not get an opportunity to hear and accept Christ in this life, dies and is resurrected back to physical life--a second chance at life. After recovering from their initial shock, they notice the earth is a complete paradise and find out it is all due to Christ and His Saints being in charge for 1,000 years. Christ introduces Himself and makes them a proposition.

He's going to give them a fresh start-a period of time to accept or reject His way of life. Accept it and be rewarded with eternal life and fantastic powers to help him with various renovation projects around the universe. Reject it, and they leave Him no choice but to cast their physical body into a lake of fire (hell) and simply end their existence. After all, He can't have disobedient, eternal spirit beings roaming around the universe who will, in all likelihood, abuse their phenomenal powers.

This is why God thinks "hell" should exist.

CarlinKnew

I think it is a reference to maintain "consequences".
While punishment is 1 concept afiliated with it - it is not the only aspect of the thinking I have.
I am not feeling well today and do not see it as a good idea to write all my ways I approach the subject matter.
In the realm of my phylosophy toward hell it is a ideology that points toward the negative for the most part (not all of it).

When you feel up to it I'd be interested in hearing why you think Hell should exist. You mention consequences. In your opinion is a place of eternal punishment necessary to maintain a sense of consequence for our actions?

rusra02

Premium Member
If you believe in a place of eternal punishment after death, Why do you think it should it exist?

Here are some common arguments to start things off.

A) We need justice, so those who are evil need to be punished.
In response to this I simply ask, why? What purpose does vengeance serve? Every religion that I've come across teaches that seeking vengeance only leads to suffering and that forgiveness is necessary for enlightenment. Do you value vengeance more than compassion?

B) Those who choose to go to hell must want it to exist, so it's only fair to give them what they want.
This is often accompanied by, "Hell is merely a separation from God, not a place of physical torture (but it's still a terrible place to spend eternity)." There is a big difference between choosing to go to hell and choosing to do evil things. No one in their right mind would choose to spend eternity in a place of despair.

C) Hell is necessary to make heaven a meaningful reward.
I don't think I've ever heard this stated outright, but it's often implied. Why can't we all win and enjoy heaven together? Do you need to know that others are losing in order to feel like you're winning?

Why do you think hell should exist?

The Bible word translated hell is 'Gehenna' and is a symbol of everlasting destruction. The concept of a burning hell where God tortures people in not scriptural nor true.

CarlinKnew

Let's say an unbeliever or anyone who, for whatever reason, did not get an opportunity to hear and accept Christ in this life, dies and is resurrected back to physical life--a second chance at life. After recovering from their initial shock, they notice the earth is a complete paradise and find out it is all due to Christ and His Saints being in charge for 1,000 years. Christ introduces Himself and makes them a proposition.

He's going to give them a fresh start-a period of time to accept or reject His way of life. Accept it and be rewarded with eternal life and fantastic powers to help him with various renovation projects around the universe. Reject it, and they leave Him no choice but to cast their physical body into a lake of fire (hell) and simply end their existence. After all, He can't have disobedient, eternal spirit beings roaming around the universe who will, in all likelihood, abuse their phenomenal powers.

So for you Hell simply means destruction. That's not particularly the view that this thread is aimed at but maybe we can still discuss it. You described God's reasoning for Hell. I'm interested in your opinion: why you think it should exist. Do you support it, or would you do things differently if you could?

CarlinKnew

The Bible word translated hell is 'Gehenna' and is a symbol of everlasting destruction. The concept of a burning hell where God tortures people in not scriptural nor true.

Either way, it's a widespread belief. I'm not here to debate its truth or scriptural accuracy. I'm here to debate the justifications that its proponents use, to see if its in alignment with their own sense of morality.

james2ko

So for you Hell simply means destruction. That's not particularly the view that this thread is aimed at but maybe we can still discuss it. You described God's reasoning for Hell. I'm interested in your opinion: why you think it should exist. Do you support it, or would you do things differently if you could?

It would be foolish of me to try and second guess the opinion or reasoning of One who has memorized the name of at least 300 sextillion (that's 300 with 21 zeroes) stars and knows precisely how many hairs I have on my head.

CarlinKnew

It would be foolish of me to try and second guess the opinion or reasoning of One who has memorized the name of at least 300 sextillion (that's 300 with 21 zeroes) stars and knows precisely how many hairs I have on my head.

I'm only asking what you think. Do you think Hell should exist?

CarlinKnew

Absolutely, but only in the form and for the purpose stated in post 22.

I'm curious: why? Is Hell (destruction) the most suitable alternative you can imagine to "eternal life and fantastic powers" to shape the universe (your concept of heaven)? Why not, say, eternal life in paradise, without the ability to renovate the universe? Why do you think there should be Hell?

james2ko

I'm curious: why? Is Hell (destruction) the most suitable alternative you can imagine to "eternal life and fantastic powers" to shape the universe (your concept of heaven)? Why not, say, eternal life in paradise, without the ability to renovate the universe? Why do you think there should be Hell?

Then they would abuse their power in paradise making themselves as well as others miserable. Who would want to be miserable forever?

mr black

So your god couldn't fix the problem YOU foresee but he can resurrect everybody who has ever lived? Are you sure this entity is infinite?

CarlinKnew

Then they would abuse their power in paradise making themselves as well as others miserable. Who would want to be miserable forever?

So you can only imagine three possibilities after death: (a) super powers in paradise, (b) destruction, (c) misery? Why not, say, life on Earth, only... better? Or something of that nature? Or give everyone and their buddies their own little planet or some other warm fuzzy existence. I'm just curious why you see Hell as the best or only alternative to accepting Jesus.

in any case this thread did not turn out as i intended so im gonna try again

Last edited:

arcanum

If it went down like that as you say, and I definitely don't believe it will, why would anyone reject and opt for destruction?:confused:

james2ko

So your god couldn't fix the problem YOU foresee but he can resurrect everybody who has ever lived? Are you sure this entity is infinite?

There's no problem to fix :shrug:

So you can only imagine three possibilities after death: (a) super powers in paradise, (b) destruction, (c) misery? Why not, say, life on Earth, only... better? Or something of that nature? Or give everyone and their buddies their own little planet or some other warm fuzzy existence. I'm just curious why you see Hell as the best or only alternative to accepting Jesus.

in any case this thread did not turn out as i intended so im gonna try again

Once again, because a life contrary to God's way would make themselves an others miserable for eternity no matter where they are placed.

If it went down like that as you say, and I definitely don't believe it will,

Really..Why not?

why would anyone reject and opt for destruction?:confused:

The loving, merciful God of the bible, so many reject today, wants to make it as easy as possible for them to live forever.