• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

defining good actions?

danielzzr

Hi.
basically, i have 2 questions:
are we rewarded in any way for the actions we do (eg: good actions takes us closer to heaven, bad ones to hell?)

IF we are: how are good or bad actions defined by catholics(or any other religions)?
the only types I could think of are:
1)If i had a GOOD intention, that ended up in a really BAD outcome
2)If i had a GOOD intention that ended up in a GOOD outcome
3)i had a BAD intention that ended in a GOOD outcome
4)I had a BAD intention that ended in a BAD outcome.

i guess when i say good/bad outcome i am refering to the effects the outcome had on somebody else, not on ME.

i can give a couple of examples, maybe Ill make it clearer, although i have a feeling you have already answered this:

1)im sitting through traffic, and the street is very congestyed. im near a stop light, but i stay where i am, so that if someone wants to turn left they can do so, since i see the way ahead is blocked anyway. somebody does turn left, thanks me with a gesture, but as he is looking at me with a smile of apreciation, forgets to see ahead, and kills a person crossing the street.

(this are to good intentions that ended in bad outcomes: me doing him the favor of saving him time, but making HIM feel guily for the rest of his life for killing somone. and his good intention of thanking me ended up in him killing someone.

2)&4) dont really need examples..

3)lets say i lived in germany before WW2. lets say i was walking on the street, and i saw Hitler coming out of a car/house/whatever. Keep in mind that i had no idea who this person is, in fact, i didnt even know there was a person named Hitler. I decide to Kill him because of no reason. i just didnt like his moustache. i am a horrible person, and i killed him. If that would have happened, then, the life of millions of people would have been saved. therefore it was a bad intention with a very good outcome.(at least most people will agree on this).

im more interested on the view of different religions in this matter rather than of any individual. However Ill be glad to read about your individual opinion on this.

the answers from this thread will result in another discussion whose topic Ill keep a secret for now...

Thanks!

Daniel.

Real Sorceror

Pirate Hunter
Yo!
basically, i have 2 questions:
are we rewarded in any way for the actions we do (eg: good actions takes us closer to heaven, bad ones to hell?)
Yes and no. I don't really define Heaven as a reward or Hell as a punishment. But otherwise, yes, a good/bad action brings you closer to the corresponding place.
IF we are: how are good or bad actions defined by catholics(or any other religions)?
the only types I could think of are:
1)If i had a GOOD intention, that ended up in a really BAD outcome
2)If i had a GOOD intention that ended up in a GOOD outcome
3)i had a BAD intention that ended in a GOOD outcome
4)I had a BAD intention that ended in a BAD outcome.
First, if you have a bad intention, it is always a bad deed.
Second, a truely good deed should be selfless. If you are a do-gooder becuase you want eternal life, then you are not sincere. You are being selfish. You are helping otherwise in order to benefit yourself.

danielzzr

If i have to kill somebody in order to save somebody else, OR if i have to kill somebody to save 2 ppl, is thats condemned by religions?