• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Definition of "Christian", your opinion

Bob Dixon

>implying
Anyone who:

1. Believes that Rabbi Jesus of Nazareth is, indeed, the Messiah foretold in the Hebrew Scriptures (this excludes most Jews living today).
2. Is a monotheist of some sort (this excludes any polytheists who might still respect/honour Jesus, but includes monism, pantheism, panentheism, deism, etc.).
3. Sees God as a "Father" (this excludes Muslims).

Best. Definition. Ever.

No?

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
Fair enough. :D

Kind of rude, but funny.

:sorry1:

? Wouldn't the followers of Jesus's teachings be Christians then?.......

In any case i've heard people say that "Christian" only applies to people belonging to protestant denominations, which i don't.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
? Wouldn't the followers of Jesus's teachings be Christians then?.......

In any case i've heard people say that "Christian" only applies to people belonging to protestant denominations, which i don't.

Most of Christianity seems based on Paul's interpretation. Most defense of Christianity being what it is is based on Paul's defense.

While Paul became a leader of the Church, I don't know that he had any authority to interpret the teachings of Jesus beyond his own opinion.

Paul says things like Women should silent and not heard in church. Supported "slavery" and reinforce the doctrine against homosexuality. Paul wasn't all bad but there's enough to disagree with.

I heard that Christian was a derogatory term used by the Pharisee. The followers of Jesus referred to themselves a Saints, including Paul.

Christians were possibly hellenized Judeans. Following foreign concepts of God. A term of disdain. Paul refers to suffering as "Christians", disdain?

I'd say a Christian was someone who accept Jesus was the Messiah as foretold in the Septuagint. I don't know if that requires one actually follows his teachings. In some cases, belief that he was the Messiah seems all that is necessary. The important thing being Jesus was the Messiah and that he died to pay everyone's price for sin. After that I don't think there is much necessary.

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
Most of Christianity seems based on Paul's interpretation. Most defense of Christianity being what it is is based on Paul's defense.

While Paul became a leader of the Church, I don't know that he had any authority to interpret the teachings of Jesus beyond his own opinion.

Paul says things like Women should silent and not heard in church. Supported "slavery" and reinforce the doctrine against homosexuality. Paul wasn't all bad but there's enough to disagree with.

I heard that Christian was a derogatory term used by the Pharisee. The followers of Jesus referred to themselves a Saints, including Paul.

Christians were possibly hellenized Judeans. Following foreign concepts of God. A term of disdain. Paul refers to suffering as "Christians", disdain?

I'd say a Christian was someone who accept Jesus was the Messiah as foretold in the Septuagint. I don't know if that requires one actually follows his teachings. In some cases, belief that he was the Messiah seems all that is necessary. The important thing being Jesus was the Messiah and that he died to pay everyone's price for sin. After that I don't think there is much necessary.

Thanks, that's informative.

Last edited by a moderator:

emmyee

we all shine on
A Christian is someone who believes Jesus Christ is the Messiah foretold in the Old Testament.

Bob Dixon

>implying

The "died for everyone's sin" part is a bit... too much.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
What is your definition of "Christian"? Does it include all the denominations that had a beginning with the New Testament? What's your opinion on this? I think this has caused some confusion on RF.

I would say I define "Christian" as "one who follows Christ". I realize that this definition is quite broad (and potentially vague).

idav

Being
Premium Member
I would say I define "Christian" as "one who follows Christ". I realize that this definition is quite broad (and potentially vague).
Pretty straight forward. Others like to say it is someone who follow the 'correct' Christ, of course I've not met a christian who thinks they follow the wrong Christ.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Seems true for Catholic/Protestant Greek Orthodox Christianity, JW, Mormons, Amish.

What group do you have in mind?

I'd say that more liberal denominations (e.g. the United Church, liberal Anglicans, Quakers) have varying takes on atonement theology, but in terms of whetber they think it's correct and whether they think it's a necessary belief.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
Messianic Jews.

Most references on Messianic Jews seem to include the idea that the death and resurrection for our sins was a necessary process.

Messianic Jew on the surface seems a contradiction, I was going to ask what the difference between them and Christian but you seem to include/group them as Christians anyway.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
I'd say that more liberal denominations (e.g. the United Church, liberal Anglicans, Quakers) have varying takes on atonement theology, but in terms of whetber they think it's correct and whether they think it's a necessary belief.

Thanks, I was trying to remember Quakers. For some reason I can never remember the name. Yes, they seem much more free-form in their beliefs. I suspect they'd leave it up to the individual.

Any idea how they might view this passage?

Matthew 26:28
for this is my blood of the covenant, which is poured out for many unto remission of sins.

Bob Dixon

>implying
Most references on Messianic Jews seem to include the idea that the death and resurrection for our sins was a necessary process.

Messianic Jew on the surface seems a contradiction, I was going to ask what the difference between them and Christian but you seem to include/group them as Christians anyway.

Maybe "Messianic Jew" is a bit misleading.
I don't mean people who are essentially Evangelical Christians, but use Stars of David to represent themselves, instead of crosses. I mean people with Jewish beliefs who happen to also think that Jesus is the Christ.

pwfaith

What is your definition of "Christian"? Does it include all the denominations that had a beginning with the New Testament? What's your opinion on this? I think this has caused some confusion on RF.

Great article that I agree with completely The Bible's Answer To The Question: What Is A Christian? by Wayne Mack

• A Christian is an individual who has radically been changed by the power of God.
  • A Christian is a person who has become and is becoming increasingly aware of his/her own unworthiness in the sight of God.
  • A Christian is a person who believes that Jesus Christ is God manifest in the flesh and the only Saviour and substitute of sinners.
  • The Bible teaches that the Christian is a person who has repented of his/her sins and believed on the Lord Jesus Christ.

Sums it up for me :) Christians are a group of these individuals, joined together by their faith and belief in Jesus Christ who have done all of the above.

Bob Dixon

>implying
Great article that I agree with completely The Bible's Answer To The Question: What Is A Christian? by Wayne Mack

• A Christian is an individual who has radically been changed by the power of God.
  • A Christian is a person who has become and is becoming increasingly aware of his/her own unworthiness in the sight of God.
  • A Christian is a person who believes that Jesus Christ is God manifest in the flesh and the only Saviour and substitute of sinners.
  • The Bible teaches that the Christian is a person who has repented of his/her sins and believed on the Lord Jesus Christ.

I don't like those points.

Shermana

Heretic
A Christian is a person who believes that Jesus Christ is God manifest in the flesh and the only Saviour and substitute of sinners.
So non-Trinitarians are not Christian according to Trinitarians. Gee, didn't see that one coming.

Can anyone find anything in that article where it says anything about actually obeying Jesus's teachings? (As opposed to Paul's)

Last edited: