• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Deism?

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
I considered myself a deist in the past but I don't throw the term around anymore. What I like about deism is that it's hard for an atheist to argue against. No Bible, Qur'an, Tanakh etc. to throw around and use for the atheist's argument. Only Philosophy.

If you believe that a God "set up the clock," got the ball moving for the formation of life and left it for humanity to dictate its own affairs and course it wants to take then you are a deist.
What's hard for a deist is how to substantiate there was even a god involved in the first place.

Atheists simply don't have the same problem and can easily dismiss evidence-less claims.

wellwisher

You see there are assumptions in your first paragraph that I have found to be false so I'm going to ignore that if that is the foundations of what you said
What I meant to say in that first paragraph; it is not so much that the brain can break the laws of physics, but rather information stored in the brain can be processed in new ways that are conceptually not exactly a part of space-time. For example, I can imagine I have imaginary wings and I then fly to the core of the sun. These physical actions are not possible in space-time. There so many violations of physical law. But in the realm of making information combinations, this statement is possible. All I did was combine three memories of provable space-time things; wings, flight, and the sun's core, but in a way they are not meant to be, thereby making space and time appear disjointed by my claim; not by the book. If space and time were not connected as space-time, the limitations of the laws of physics and space-time would not exist, opening more options.

Fictional writing is not constrained to just space-time connections, but it can make animals talk, since both animals and human talking are both data we can find in space-time, but not in that combination, unless we loosen the tether of the space-time rules.

All Innovation, at one point in time, is often outside the box of what is known and provable, at a point in time. Once it is proven, it is added to space-time knowledge base; real. But before proof, even though it worked in the lab and is already real, the mind of the majority will assume it is imaginary. But in reality, the defenders of the pace-time knowledge base are the one's stuck in their imagination, since they cannot see the future, when it proves out. The creator has seen the future, as their present, but the present needs more proof to see that future.

If the brain could only process reality data, as is known, all we would have is memory but no way to exceed it. Like the Koala Bear we would simply do what we do, never able to think outside the box. Thinking outside the box requires a way to generate new combinations, from space-time and sensory data, that may not go together based on what is known. This adds complexity and is 2nd law driven.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Then I am not quite a deist. I believe god is a living body composed by everything including nothing and he intervenes the way out bodies do, for instance, if an infection has occurred more white blood cells etc
Is this god a discrete entity?
Clarify "composed of everything," SVP.

Is this god a conscious entity, or an automatic intervention dictated by the laws of physics -- as the immune response is unconsciously dictated by a body's biochemistry?

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I do still find the concept of Deism quite interesting though. I do think there is a bit of merit in belief in seeing "patterns and design," to things in nature and the universe. So in this sense, the God or higher power of Deism is somewhat believable.
But the patterns don't necessarily indicate conscious or intentional design, so assigning agency would be a special pleading.

How would a deistic god be distinguished from no god at all?

ChieftheCef

Is this god a discrete entity?
Clarify "composed of everything," SVP.

Is this god a conscious entity, or an automatic intervention dictated by the laws of physics -- as the immune response is unconsciously dictated by a body's biochemistry?
You know what, I'll answer those questions and post a knowledge based poem riddle I wrote for it.

It is singular, it is the ocean behind us waves. It is the everything at once, including all of nothing, absence.

They may even be unconscious, but they could be sheerly directed by the necessary unfolding of the universe. We are it's health, and the happier the world, this god, the supreme god, brahman, teotl, dao, etc is the better we off

They are alive based on three things: the distribution of bad stuff (all manner of bad stuff) which is usually in "living spots" very low, probably including yours. There is also that this badness is potent enough to serve a purpose, every single thing. And that this badness dulls with age and time. Why then shouldn't you be a bit thankful next time something, probably, mildly bad comes to you.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
The Creator "God" in Deism set all the scientific and natural laws into place and gave humans the ability to discover and use them. Humankind was also provided with our minds and consciouses giving us the capacity to use these laws in helping or harming the creation.
What evidence is there for a creator god? In the absence of objective evidence wouldn't the reasonable assessment be "unknown?"
Wouldn't assigning agency be just familiarity-based speculation; a special pleading?

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Every thing and force and any thing else is part of the whole, or deity of you like, but a whole which has no knowledge of us. You are part of the whole (Diety) but it knows you not.

It's a bit like:... there is a cell in your left kidney, a part of you, but you don't know it.

Since theism is all about aware deities, then deism has nothing to do with theism. Give the dictionaries a little time; they'll get it right eventually.
So a belief in existence itself, or a personalization of existence?

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
You know what, I'll answer those questions and post a knowledge based poem riddle I wrote for it.

It is singular, it is the ocean behind us waves. It is the everything at once, including all of nothing, absence.

They may even be unconscious, but they could be sheerly directed by the necessary unfolding of the universe. We are it's health, and the happier the world, this god, the supreme god, brahman, teotl, dao, etc is the better we off

They are alive based on three things: the distribution of bad stuff (all manner of bad stuff) which is usually in "living spots" very low, probably including yours. There is also that this badness is potent enough to serve a purpose, every single thing. And that this badness dulls with age and time. Why then shouldn't you be a bit thankful next time something, probably, mildly bad comes to you.
I'm quite familiar with the concept of Brahman, but Brahman's not generally considered a god.

Bad stuff? Could you clarify?
? -- Wouldn't serving a purpose presume intent, as opposed to serving a function?