• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Democrats Gerrymandering in New York. Yes they steal districts like they accuse Republicans.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Some have argued the same thing regarding states, such as calls to eliminate the Electoral College, making all presidential elections based solely on the popular vote, without regard to states or electoral votes. Some might also criticize the representation by state within the Senate, since it gives tiny states like Delaware and Rhode Island the same representation as larger states like California and Texas.

So, if we get rid of districts, why not get rid of states, too?
I like having states.
They limit federal power somewhat,
& allow for some diversity of policies.
Useful experimentation.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I have a suspicion both want a one party rule and will happily destroy this country to get it.
I've heard a number of Democrats say they want
the other eliminated. A friend, a progressive Dem,
said she wanted all Republicans dead.
I know Pubs who want control too...but even they
aren't so open about wanting a 1 party system.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
That's why we need support for third parties, IMO. Not that they are perfect, but at least the "big two" will see that people don't want to support them anymore and change for the better.
I hope your right. I don't know how that can be accomplished anymore though.

Twilight Hue

Neighbourhoods don't follow straight lines. Population density isn't uniform. Moving a neighbourhood from one district or another would need to be justified according to given criteria (keeping populations balanced, socio-economic similarity, historic or natural boundaries, etc.)

In America everything is highly partisan, but other countries have a neutral civil service that remains in place regardless of the Party in charge. It's not simply whoever won the last election marking their own homework.

Hence it causes no real controversy and no ludicrous boundaries like
21313.jpeg
Hence you can see the issue here. Districts ought to be permanent and not changeable with some exceptions like physical growth and expansion.

Ponder This

New York Democrats Have Gerrymandered Their Way to a Huge Advantage

This is why I think they are hypocrites.

They do the same exact thing.

This practice ought to be removed. It's why things are so messed up.

There is a bit of desperation in the actions of Democrats in New York these days in the aftermath of the disgraceful conduct of former Gov. Cuomo as well as a general dissatisfaction within New York with the conduct of its leaders. There has been a number of pieces of legislation passed over the last year with the purpose of maintaining power in the face of voter dissatisfaction.

Twilight Hue

Don't give up hope.
It's good to hope, but it's pretty much been like this all my life here.

New York used to go in cycles. Most famous was Theodore Roosevelt.

Our last Republican governor was George Pataki back in 2006. Been Democrat since.

Sand Dancer

Crazy Cat Lady
It's good to hope, but it's pretty much been like this all my life here.

New York used to go in cycles. Most famous was Theodore Roosevelt.

Our last Republican governor was George Pataki back in 2006. Been Democrat since.

Yeah, NY is one of those states like TX or CA. It's hard to be a political minority.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
@Wu Wei must be so proud of his home state.
More mischief in NY....
NY lieutenant governor arrested in campaign donation scheme
Excerpted....
ALBANY, N.Y. (AP) — New York Lt. Gov. Brian Benjamin, whose seven months in that role has been overshadowed by probes into a previous campaign, was arrested Tuesday in a federal corruption investigation.

The Democrat was accused in an indictment of participating in a scheme to obtain campaign contributions from a real estate developer in exchange for Benjamin’s agreement to use his influence as a state senator to get a $50,000 grant of state funds for a nonprofit organization the developer controlled.

Facing charges including bribery, fraud, conspiracy and falsification of records, he was expected to make an initial appearance Tuesday in Manhattan federal court. Two lawyers representing Benjamin did not immediately respond to messages seeking comment.

Benjamin had joined the administration of Gov. Kathy Hochul in September, chosen by her to fill her former job a couple of weeks after she stepped into the governorship following the resignation of former Gov. Andrew Cuomo over sexual harassment allegations.

Wu Wei

ursus senum severiorum and ex-Bisy Backson
@Wu Wei must be so proud of his home state.
More mischief in NY....
NY lieutenant governor arrested in campaign donation scheme
Excerpted....
ALBANY, N.Y. (AP) — New York Lt. Gov. Brian Benjamin, whose seven months in that role has been overshadowed by probes into a previous campaign, was arrested Tuesday in a federal corruption investigation.

The Democrat was accused in an indictment of participating in a scheme to obtain campaign contributions from a real estate developer in exchange for Benjamin’s agreement to use his influence as a state senator to get a $50,000 grant of state funds for a nonprofit organization the developer controlled.

Facing charges including bribery, fraud, conspiracy and falsification of records, he was expected to make an initial appearance Tuesday in Manhattan federal court. Two lawyers representing Benjamin did not immediately respond to messages seeking comment.

Benjamin had joined the administration of Gov. Kathy Hochul in September, chosen by her to fill her former job a couple of weeks after she stepped into the governorship following the resignation of former Gov. Andrew Cuomo over sexual harassment allegations.

Not a big surprise...... how do you know a politician is lying?.........their talking

Now maybe folks might understand...but I doubt it....after working for government for 25 years, why I don't trust any of them on either side of the aisle