• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Describe a Christian

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
ned-flanders-0203.jpg

Mjolnir

When I think of a Christian I try to think of the Christians I know (or know about) who strive to be like Christ. The ones who should be really the foundation of their faith, the ones who still carry the teachings of Jesus in the modern world. But then I think of the (in my personal experience at least, the majority) who are judgmental, hypocritical, and close-minded. This might be unfortunate that I seem to always meet these types of people. (I will refrain from using the word Christian, because they are not) What really gets me about some people is the whole your going to burn in hell sermons and preaching, it just really turned me off to Christianity though. I think it is very sad that people have turned the message of that great man Jesus into something that people do not want to associate with. I don't know what happened.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
When you hear that someone is a Christian, what is the thought that comes to mind? In other words do you have a mental picture of what you perceive a "Christian" to resemble? Let's say we are going by the clothing they wear, their conduct, should Christians drink alcohol or do you see them as being a separate people from the rest of society? Do you think you could observe a room full of people for a short amount of time and be able to tell the Christians from non-believers? If we are a Christian and the world doesn't see us as different are we living the life that God desires us to live? :rolleyes:
The Bible doesn't define the word "Christian" per se, but Jesus Christ did say that men would be able to recognize His disciples by their love for one another. :hug:

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
I truly feel bad for those who have had bad run-ins with "Christians" that were less than happy. I feel really angry at those people who say they are Christians that even make people hate all of people who belong to Jesus. A true Christian will not judge, will forgive readily when someone is sorry, will show mercy, will love his/her God, his or her brothers/sisters in Jesus, his/her neighbors (anyone who is not a Christian, :)), and his/her enemies.
When asked what the most important commandment was Jesus quoted the Law and said to Love your God with all your heart, with all you soul, and with all your might. And 2nd was also from the Law Love your neighbor as yourself. Any person calling themselves followers of Jesus who do not do that need to take a good look at themselves. I won't judge them and God won't judge them-- they will end up judging themselves.

Last edited:

Charity

Let's go racing boys !
I truly feel bad for those who have had bad run-ins with "Christians" that were less than happy. I feel really angry at those people who say they are Christians that even make people hate all of people who belong to Jesus. A true Christian will not judge, will forgive readily when someone is sorry, will show mercy, will love his/her God, his or her brothers/sisters in Jesus, his/her neighbors (anyone who is not a Christian, :)), and his/her enemies.
When asked what the most important commandment was Jesus quoted the Law and said to Love you with all your heart, with all you soul, and with all your might. And 2nd was also from the Law Love your neighbor as yourself. Any person calling themselves followers of Jesus who do not do that need to take a good look at themselves. I won't judge them and God won't judge them-- they will end up judging themselves.
You are sooooo right Christine.....Thanks for your post :D

Jeremy Mason

When I think of a Christian I try to think of the Christians I know (or know about) who strive to be like Christ. The ones who should be really the foundation of their faith, the ones who still carry the teachings of Jesus in the modern world. But then I think of the (in my personal experience at least, the majority) who are judgmental, hypocritical, and close-minded. This might be unfortunate that I seem to always meet these types of people. (I will refrain from using the word Christian, because they are not) What really gets me about some people is the whole your going to burn in hell sermons and preaching, it just really turned me off to Christianity though. I think it is very sad that people have turned the message of that great man Jesus into something that people do not want to associate with. I don't know what happened.

I couldn't agree with you more. Frubals for not lumping all Christians into one group.

Charity

Let's go racing boys !
Thank you for your post and we all appreciate it....:D

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
I like what James said, "Show me your faith apart from works and I'll show you my faith by my works".

I think "Christian" is more useful as an adjective than a noun.

Hanslope

Some of the comments here are unhelpful and poisonous. The Christians I know are only too aware of how far they fall below what Jesus taught but they are still kindly people who make my atheism more difficult to sustain than any other people I know.

BucephalusBB

ABACABB
In other words do you have a mental picture of what you perceive a "Christian" to resemble?
I always thought I could find them easilly..
The thing is, they are too much like normal people. So I try to find the subtile things, like fish on cars and crosses around the nek. Very painfully as nowadays, you don't have to be christian anymore to have a cross around your nek...appareantly..
Had some very painfull situations where I asumed someone was christian instead of non-christian! It's a good thing christians know our language as well or else it would have been an awkward situation..

..:cover:

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist
A Christian, a person who can come from a wide spectrum of nationalities, ethnic groups and cultures. goes to work, may be your ally and friend or your rival depends on their personal ideology, which goes to say that its impossible to put an image on a Christian since they come in all kinds, some adhere to very different beliefs than others.
From my personal experience, Christians can be complete strangers that take you inside their house and demonstrate a remarkable hospitality. but to be honest then their image of Christian sheds its skin before me and they became human beings to relate to.

Last edited:

Elessar

A Christian is a person of Messianist belief, derived from Judaism, which believes that Yeshua, or Jesus, was the messiah-savior who died for the sins of humanity, attempts to follow the teachings of Yeshua to the best of their ability, and is part of a tradition ultimately derived from the rite of Rav Sha'ul, or St. Paul, usually derived from medieval Catholic-Orthodoxy.

Otherwise, I have no other description or definition. I've seen Christians that range from the most happy, loving, and least judging people I have ever known, to the most judgmental bigots I have ever seen. Most Christians are somewhere in the middle and, in my experience, tend to lean toward the former.

Little Joe Gould

Seeking God
For me, personally, most of the Christians I know are the people that above all want the best for me, and that says a lot. They've hounded me to straighten up my act because I have drug abuse problems but they only do it to a certain extent. I know Christians that really think about what God would have to say about every one of their actions and they are obedient to God. I know Christians that are truly not of this world, and I wish I could be more like them everyday.

HoldemDB9

From what I've seen, the large majority of Atheists and Agnostics are way way more "Christian" than most people who call themselves Christian.

DallasApple

Depends Upon My Mood..
Christians are human.

Personally..I have a hope that I can achieve that love is at the center of my faith.Love.. the kind I believe in ..is not brutal and judmental and arrogant.

Christianity is striving to be Christ like..

Christians are not perfect ..

Love

Dallas