• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Describe God in 10 Words or Less

Rolling_Stone

Ah. Using that word must mean you believe in God?

I would answer that question differently than Dopp, but the answer depends on what you believe the term “God” means. If by God you mean some kind of supernatural being “out there,” the answer is “no.” If you mean a presence that can be experientially known, the answer is “yes.” If you mean a presence that can be conceptualized, the answer is, again “no.” Under the circumstances, I would be foolish to say “yes” and a liar if I were to say “no.”

Buttercup

Veteran Member

I would answer that question differently than Dopp, but the answer depends on what you believe the term “God” means. If by God you mean some kind of supernatural being “out there,” the answer is “no.” If you mean a presence that can be experientially known, the answer is “yes.” If you mean a presence that can be conceptualized, the answer is, again “no.” Under the circumstances, I would be foolish to say “yes” and a liar if I were to say “no.”
I hear ya, RS and I'm right there with you....at least at this point in time. :)

Sahar

The necessary first cause
The Uncreated Creator of all
Singularly sustaining everything without stop
The First and The Last, the eternally-existing
One and Nothing like Him, singular in His essence with no partner, Unique with no equivalent
No opposite has He
Absolute, Perfect
Transcendentally beyond time and space
Self-Sufficient
Not subjected to change or movement.
The Willer of all that exists, the Director of all that occurs
Living, Irresistible,Omnipotent, Omniscient
The Truth, The Most Merciful, The Loving, The Just, The Wise

gnostic

The Lost One
theNEWreality said:
Well you know what they say....
"Three's Company"

(or was that a crowd?.....)
It's the "crowd".

It's not so crowded any more, because one of them is dead. Now, I am waiting and hoping to see a resurrection.

.........I am still waiting.

doppelganger

Through the Looking Glass

Actually, I would agree with all of that. I think your "experientially known" but not "conceptualized" is functionally the same as my idea that giving the attribute of "existence," as though "God" where an object or thing, makes "God" a symbol for the effable (and an idol).