• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Describe 'the american people' in several sentences.. Who are they, where are they located

amorphous_constellation

I'm sure it cannot be updated, since it is a historical, not a legal document. There is no provision to update that. We could paraphrase it though. Thomas Jefferson is known for words with high ideals without following through on those ideals, so I am not surprised if he thinks nothing of slandering the natives. He seems to exist in idea space in his letters but in life not so much. He did show courage in signing the document, because he must have known this would bring trouble from the crown. He probably did think that the natives were savages, too; and that somehow he was superior though he states in the document that all men are created equal. I'm not sure what to say about it, but you really are pulling us way out into a different conversation. He's dead. We're not.

I guess it's just to show the flaws in the transitory movement that those men were developing. We consider it a milestone, but you probably wouldn't like to bring those men aboard a modern forum, for example. Perhaps we can also apply this example to modern politics, each side trying to say the apple is rotten, if only perhaps some of it is rotten. For we are the dead-to-be, and someone in a lofty future might be fit to castigate all of us, yet lionize us. And so maybe it is not right to make the 'perfect the enemy of the good,' or perhaps more to the point, 'the process the enemy of the goal.' Unless the goal is never to be reached, and it is all process, in which case there are always flaws

Last edited:

Tambourine

The American people were driven from their lands by White colonists, deprived of their property, and either murdered or put on reservations, where they continue to be deprived of rights and property.