• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Designing a Peaceful, Coherent, Non-Coercive Society

drsatish

There are great minds in this forum but the 'mind energy' is getting wasted in 'throwing mud' rather than in seeing how to build 'a nice mud-hut village' - which, in fact, is what everybody wants!

Let the 'God' believers 'construct' a God which will hold 'good' for this Village as well as the Whole Universe - not forgetting the 'Other Village' 100 miles out there, which has a similar team 'constructing' a God.

Let the 'No-God' believers 'construct' a 'Code of Law' and set of statements about what is 'Real' and what is 'Good' - for this Village as well as the Whole Universe - not forgetting the 'Other Village' 100 miles out there, which has a similar team working on the same.

Let everyone come up with 'genuine from-the-heart' suggestions (please don't clutter up with sarcastic, off-hand, punchy remarks).

Can we come up with 2010-Top-21-Guidelines ..effective till 3010?

Satish

PolyHedral

Superabacus Mystic
There are more than 200 or so people, non-coercion by someone is not possible. If you have no "police", then whoever can acquire the most power can essentially run the place. If you do have police, then the leader(s) can be corrupted.

Last edited:

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
That's the goal of libertarians. As you can see though, that's a tough nut to crack on a large scale.

smokydot

There are great minds in this forum but the 'mind energy' is getting wasted in 'throwing mud' rather than in seeing how to build 'a nice mud-hut village' - which, in fact, is what everybody wants!
Let the 'God' believers 'construct' a God which will hold 'good' for this Village as well as the Whole Universe - not forgetting the 'Other Village' 100 miles out there, which has a similar team 'constructing' a God.
Let the 'No-God' believers 'construct' a 'Code of Law' and set of statements about what is 'Real' and what is 'Good' - for this Village as well as the Whole Universe - not forgetting the 'Other Village' 100 miles out there, which has a similar team working on the same.
Let everyone come up with 'genuine from-the-heart' suggestions (please don't clutter up with sarcastic, off-hand, punchy remarks).
Satish
The problem is not lack of ideas or desire.

The problem is the nature of humans.

You gotta' remedy that first.

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
I think they have tried to have a peaceful, coherent, no-coercive society more than once- and it didn't work.

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member
RF itself is educated people that want to learn and share there religious thought with others. It is all volunter and only modest rules. It is very friendly(thanks to the rules) but it is most definately not peaceful and non-coercive. It is at least coherent for the most part.

For me I like the non-peaceful, coercive enviroment it inspires and challenges me. If it wasn't I would be doing something else.

That's my take on utopia.

drsatish

There are more than 200 or so people, non-coercion by someone is not possible. If you have no "police", then whoever can acquire the most power can essentially run the place. If you do have police, then the leader(s) can be corrupted.

Viruses seen:

1. most power
2. run
3. corrupted

Vaccines (possible..)

Satish

drsatish

RF itself is educated people that want to learn and share there religious thought with others. It is all volunter and only modest rules. It is very friendly(thanks to the rules) but it is most definately not peaceful and non-coercive. It is at least coherent for the most part.

For me I like the non-peaceful, coercive enviroment it inspires and challenges me. If it wasn't I would be doing something else.

That's my take on utopia.

"I like the non-peaceful, coercive enviroment"
..that is a whole range.....
..starting from tickling slightly....to what a human like Hitler can do.
..what is your range?
..what is the line that you would like 'others' not to cross ?...

Satish

drsatish

Let's see. For a peaceful, non-coercive, coherent society, I'd start by limiting the population to 1.

Is that the 1 and 1..ly solution?

Please stay awake the whole night and work out a workable solution for
just
2 humans
on an island.

Satish

Zadok

Zadok

Satish

Number 1:

The basis of a peaceful, coherent non-coercive society must be guided by sustainable principles. I submit the only sustainable principles are those principles that allow smooth transitions to a rising generation. Any society that is unconcerned or even hostile to generations to follow is an unsustainable society. I submit that without support of family and family values that reward and foster family relationships where children can and will continue the principles of that society that such a society cannot be coherent, peaceful and non-coercive beyond the current generation.

Zadok

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member
"I like the non-peaceful, coercive enviroment"
..that is a whole range.....
..starting from tickling slightly....to what a human like Hitler can do.
..what is your range?
..what is the line that you would like 'others' not to cross ?...

Satish

I don't like to limit others only myself. If another interfers with others rights then I review the issue and if needed interceed.

Sometimes the others don't care and sometimes they do.

I have taken the side of the less fortunate only to be abandoned by those I tried to protect.

drsatish

Number 1:

The basis of a peaceful, coherent non-coercive society must be guided by sustainable principles. I submit the only sustainable principles are those principles that allow smooth transitions to a rising generation. Any society that is unconcerned or even hostile to generations to follow is an unsustainable society. I submit that without support of family and family values that reward and foster family relationships where children can and will continue the principles of that society that such a society cannot be coherent, peaceful and non-coercive beyond the current generation.

Zadok

Family is good. Projecting 'Family Traditions', 'Family Name' onto others is not good.

Viruses Identified
1. Projecting Family Traditions onto others.
2. Projecting Family Name onto others.

Vaccines
1. No reward/punishment to children on above matters.

Satish

Penumbra

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I don't think "designing" a society really works.

Every top-down design of a society I can think of, ranging from conceived utopias to large countries, has failed. Maybe there are some little voluntary utopias out there that work out, but who knows.

Instead it seems better, even if still flawed, to let society design itself as it goes along, and work to address problems and improve systems as things arise.

drsatish

I don't like to limit others only myself. If another interfers with others rights then I review the issue and if needed interceed.

Sometimes the others don't care and sometimes they do.

I have taken the side of the less fortunate only to be abandoned by those I tried to protect.

Actually my question was about you - how much can you stand?
Tickling is fun; I tickle you and keep on increasing the pressure. Soon, the tickling becomes uncomfortable. You start to feel pain. The pain increases. You say stop. I don't stop. Soon blood starts trickling. You cry out loud! Stop! That is enough! I don't stop. I put a tape on your mouth and continue. Soon your ribs start showing...you get the picture.

In real life, how much coercion can you take?

Satish

drsatish

I don't think "designing" a society really works.

Every top-down design of a society I can think of, ranging from conceived utopias to large countries, has failed. Maybe there are some little voluntary utopias out there that work out, but who knows.

Instead it seems better, even if still flawed, to let society design itself as it goes along, and work to address problems and improve systems as things arise.

"let society design itself as it goes along" seems a good idea. Does it mean
a. All members of the society become 'independent, free thinkers' and put forward their 'thoughts' for consideration by other members and then effect a change.
b. Or...is it a 'Trial & Error' method of bumping into one another - some scratches, some broken limbs, some dead, some gasping for breath..?

How do you think the Viruses seen by PolyHedral

1. most power
2. run
3. corrupted

affect your suggestion, and the remedies you suggest, if any.

Satish

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
We wouldn't learn anything if it were very peaceful. We don't need to be violent, but we can have a spirited debate and learn a lot more. I prefer to talk to people who don't always agree with me, since it opens my mind to other ideas. I think that most of the people here would agree. It is hard to learn anything new if everyone agrees with you all the time. :)

dust1n

Zindīq
A peaceful, coherent, or non-coercive can't be designed. Hell, it is debatable if it can even exist.