• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Deva

Ashoka

श्री कृष्णा शरणं मम
मैत्रावरुणिः;3446302 said:
Lemaster, are you talking about the term, "Diva"?

Yes, I think that's it xD Diva and Deva are totally different.

Though I have noticed some neopagans use the word Deva in a similar way when talking about garden fairies. Which is...okay, I guess.

Poeticus

| abhyAvartin |
Yes, I think that's it xD Diva and Deva are totally different.

Though I have noticed some neopagans use the word Deva in a similar way when talking about garden fairies. Which is...okay, I guess.

Garden fairies?

What's next? "Devam Leprechaunam"? :p:rolleyes:

But, it's okay, I guess.

Last edited:

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
मैत्रावरुणिः;3446973 said:
Garden fairies?

What's next? "Devam Leprechaunam"? :p:rolleyes:

But, it's okay, I guess.

Devam leprechaunam tam aham bhajāmi? We are polytheists, after all! A Buddhist might say Leprechaunam śaranam gacchāmi or Namo leprechaunāya. Notice my correct usage of the accusative and dative cases. :biglaugh:

Poeticus

| abhyAvartin |
Devam leprechaunam tam aham bhajāmi? We are polytheists, after all!

For real, though, I wouldn't mind some bad*** Leprechauns yelling "Jai Shri Ram!!" going berserk on Asuras and Rakshasas. :D :D It would be a bestseller.

A Buddhist might say Leprechaunam śaranam gacchāmi or Namo leprechaunāya. Notice my correct usage of the accusative and dative cases. :biglaugh:

Noted, and admired.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
मैत्रावरुणिः;3447037 said:
going berserk on Asuras and Rakshasas. :D :D It would be a bestseller.

Already happened... ever watch the tv show 'Charmed'? :D

Noted, and admired.

:bow:

Poeticus

| abhyAvartin |
Already happened... ever watch the tv show 'Charmed'? :D

I have heard of it but haven't seen one episode. Is it a good show? I am busy watching Under the Dome, based off of Stephen King's book of the same name; I can't wait for the next episode so have been reading the book haha.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
It's in reruns, because it finished some years ago, but it's a good show. It's kind of fun.

gailnatalie28071971

gailnatalie28071971
Yes I am now very confused by all of this but what I do understand is meaning being beautiful, delightful, divine, heavenly, wonderous, ..... I can add to that..... everlasting

Lithuanian is the closest of the IE languages to the original (proposed) PIE ancestor. Lithuanian has at least 14 nominal cases which is pretty much what PIE had. Lithuanian is as close as you can get to what PIE was probably like. Corutesy historical comparative linguistics. :)

As does 'Iran' (ee-rahn). It annoys me no end when people pronounce aryan as 'air-ee-an". At least try to get close with 'ahr-yun'.
Jainarayana Ji
pranam!

I am happy that I am finally talking with you:yes:

Can you clarify here about 14 nominal cases in Lithuanian? Because we know 8 cases of nouns in Sanskrit, and which seems to me just perfect.

I am very curious about comparative linguistics and will be eager to start a new thread in case you will be willing to teach me.

KT

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
Jainarayana Ji
pranam!

I am happy that I am finally talking with you:yes:

Can you clarify here about 14 nominal cases in Lithuanian? Because we know 8 cases of nouns in Sanskrit, and which seems to me just perfect.

I am very curious about comparative linguistics and will be eager to start a new thread in case you will be willing to teach me.

KT

Here's a better explanation than I could give. Lithuanian grammar - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia There are actually 7 according to this, with 4 locative sub cases, making it 11 in reality, not 14. I was a bit off. Otherwise it looks like they are in alignment with Sanskrit. The exception is the ablative in Sanskrit that Lithuanian does not have. Keep in mind I'm just a nerd and a geek who likes linguistics as a hobby. ;)

Here's a better explanation than I could give. Lithuanian grammar - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia There are actually 7 according to this, with 4 locative sub cases, making it 11 in reality, not 14. I was a bit off. Otherwise it looks like they are in alignment with Sanskrit. The exception is the ablative in Sanskrit that Lithuanian does not have. Keep in mind I'm just a nerd and a geek who likes linguistics as a hobby. ;)
No problemo.
The Linguistic part is also very important, and hopefully, here we can build something which is a good mix of Linguistics and Spirituality!

For example, I believe the 8 declensions of Sanskrit nouns/ pronouns stem from greater (DyavaPrithvi) awareness of Rsis. Remembering those declensions are way too difficult for anyone today, but no doubt it came naturally to those in the Vedic times.

p.s.: Locative in Sanskrit also seems to having sub-cases, at some point of time may be, but I am not sure.

Last edited:

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
I think Vedic Sanskrit was a bit more complex than Classical Sanskrit. I think VS was also musical and tonal. :)