• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Devil and damnation for eternity?

Gino Cerutti

Italian
Do you think that devil and damnation will last for eternity? Could that idea be compatible with “to bring all things in heaven and on earth together under one head, even Christ.” Ef 1:10?

LittleNipper

Yes, because those who wish to be with CHRIST, remain with HIM and those who want nothing to do with CHRIST are put away where they can be excluded. CHRIST is glorified in either case. HE knows who will be happy and who will not, but eternity is what it is.

Just_me_Mike

There is a position that can be put forth that says damnation is only the description of annihilation.
In other words, if one doesn't go to heaven, they will forever been damned or never have a chance at life again. This same position can also support there is no suffering or pain or conciousness either if one does not go to heaven, they just cease to exist.

focalor12

keep in mind however damnation has a negative connotation, who is to say that Hell really is a bad place. Would sinners not be happy in hell, the idea of a burning pit was completely made up by the Roman Catholic Church as a scare tactic.

Gino Cerutti

Italian
No. We will all live forever no matter
what our fate - heaven, hell, etc..

Your statement agrees with the Catholic Catechism.

1035 The teaching of the Church affirms the existence of hell and its eternity. Immediately after death the souls of those who die in a state of mortal sin descend into hell, where they suffer the punishments of hell, "eternal fire."617 The chief punishment of hell is eternal separation from God, in whom alone man can possess the life and happiness for which he was created and for which he longs
Catechism of the Catholic Church - I believe in life everlasting

But in the Christian theology there is as well the idea of apocatastatis.
Apocatastasis - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Saint Catherine of Siena:
If Thy truth and Thy justice
permitted it, I would that Hell were utterly destroyed, or at least
that no soul ever more should descend thither
Full text of "Saint Catherine of Siena : a study in the religion, literature and history of the fourteenth century in Italy"

Just_me_Mike

Could you quote the Bible, please? :)
Sure, there are many, but this should support the idea.

2 Thessalonians Ch1
"8": In flaming fire taking vengeance on them that know not God, and that obey not the gospel of our Lord Jesus Christ:
"9": Who shall be punished with everlasting destruction from the presence of the Lord, and from the glory of his power;
Note the reference that these verses are for, those that do not know God (damned souls) and what will be done to them, destroyed forever.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
Do you think that devil and damnation will last for eternity? Could that idea be compatible with “to bring all things in heaven and on earth together under one head, even Christ.” Ef 1:10?
My belief is that there is such a thing as the devil (i.e. Satan) and there is such a thing as eternal damnation. In order that I not be misunderstood, though, I would have to qualify that statement by saying that I also believe in an almost universal salvation. In order to spend eternity in Hell, a person would have to have a far greater understanding of God's love and mercy than 99.9999% of humanity has, and then essentially spit in God's face, knowing with an absolute certainty that that's what he was doing. Nobody will spend eternity in Hell for having simply been what most of us would call a "bad person," and no "good person" will spend eternity in Hell for having done nothing more than reject certain doctrines that simply don't ring true to him.

Last edited:

wildbill014318

I believe that souls that do not reach kingdom of heaven will be destroyed. christ told us what do do to reach the kingdom of heaven. Heaven, kingdom of God is the same but kingdom of heaven is where you get every lasting life. Souls that doese not get every lasting life destroyed within days.

Gino Cerutti

Italian
Sure, there are many, but this should support the idea.

Note the reference that these verses are for, those that do not know God (damned souls) and what will be done to them, destroyed forever.
Thank you!
Could you quote another passage of the Bible, please?
Regards

Naveed83

Wandering madman
I'm honestly surprised no one quoted the good old classic John 3:16
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life."
-KJV

Not only does it imply eternal damnation, but also supports the idea that one does not suffer for eternity. Note the word parish does mean suffering, but rather destruction, which would most likely be eternal considering you don't normally bring back things you destroyed. As for the destruction method, the many verses talking about flames I think imply it's through fire.

With the Devil/Satan thing, I don't really have an answer for you yet. I'm still debating on whether he is indeed a "fallen angel" or simply like an auditor for God if you will.