• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Devil Worship

Trey of Diamonds

Ok, I was getting ready to go to bed and the Mentalist came on. I don't watch this show and know none of the characters, nor did I stay up to watch this episode. However, the topic was interesting. Devil Worshippers making Human Sacrifices. Makes me wonder, does this happen these days? Did it ever happen? Back when I was a kid there were rumors that Devil Worshippers met at the local graveyard to cast spells over the grave of a woman who was tried, convicted and hung as a witch then buried facing the wrong way. She's there, I've seen her grave myself. Never saw any Devil Worshippers out there though. I know the difference in Pagan, Wiccan, Left Hand Path and what is called "Devil Worship" and I have to wonder just how many real Devil worshippers there are.

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
I think this is something that may be hyped up or even made up. Forensics can usually track down killers so it would be hard to get away with. Even without forensics it would be hard to keep killing people and not be found out. But what do I know?

zenzero

Its only a Label
Friend Trey of Diamonds,

Yes, it used to happen when people were uneducated and ignorant; now it happens very
rarely. {in India]

Love & rgds

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
Ok, I was getting ready to go to bed and the Mentalist came on. I don't watch this show and know none of the characters, nor did I stay up to watch this episode. However, the topic was interesting. Devil Worshippers making Human Sacrifices. Makes me wonder, does this happen these days? Did it ever happen? Back when I was a kid there were rumors that Devil Worshippers met at the local graveyard to cast spells over the grave of a woman who was tried, convicted and hung as a witch then buried facing the wrong way. She's there, I've seen her grave myself. Never saw any Devil Worshippers out there though. I know the difference in Pagan, Wiccan, Left Hand Path and what is called "Devil Worship" and I have to wonder just how many real Devil worshippers there are.

Just urban legends. If this sort of thing actually went on you know a case would eventually and inevitably have been discovered and exposed. There would be a media frenzy. No one intelligent enough to cover up such things extremely well would even waste their time or take the risk to do something so unproductive and pointless in the first place.

Trey of Diamonds

I agree that today it doesn't happen or happens very rarely. Do you think it ever really happened? Or was it always rumors and hype?

Seems to be devil worshippers are just rebbellious goths who hate conformism. Not that they even know what that means. I had a guy on the street telling me i was a bad person because im a conformist...

gnomon

I remember the FBI reporting during the 1980's that they found no evidence of Satanic ritual sacrifice during the whole moral scare against that evil music led by Tipper Gore.

However, I do know of a case where satanic rituals were used to help convict three boys called the West Memphis Three. That case was so shoddy that I would not be surprised if an eventual retrial was called in their case. Especially since these boys were convicted on very little physical evidence when at a time immediately following the murders a restaurant manager reported a man covered with blood leaving the bathroom of the restaurant.

That's the only modern case I know of involving allegations of devil worship in the United States. Except for the tragic child abuse case involving a child care facility that was so ridiculous you have to be amazed that the case went anywhere at all. Can't remember the name of that case.

edit: So no. I know of no cases involving human sacrifice within the United States.

Trey of Diamonds

Seems to be devil worshippers are just rebbellious goths who hate conformism.

Understand, I'm not talking about rebellious teens or legitimate Left Hand Path religions. I'm talking about those who believe they are worshipping the devil of the Christian religion. In fact, these people would have to be Christians themselves as a belief in the Christian devil requires a belief in God and Christ as well. I have to wonder if it's all just an urban legend or the mis-labeling of legitimate pagan religions.

Kcnorwood

This type od things kill me because Satan is a Judeo-Christian deity he's one of thier Gods. Christiany used took the Pagan religion's & turned them evil & people fell in line with that chain of thought. Sadly it still stands & instead of doing any research on it people blindly believe what they are told. :sheep:

zenzero

Its only a Label
Friend knorwood,

Yes, similarly in Sanatan Dharma; goddess KALI is a normal everyday god dark in color and was/is prayed as the DARK force by some to make human sacrifices and all types of witchcrafts.
Love & rgds

Guitar's Cry

Disciple of Pan
I read about a case in the UK where a couple was tried for Devil worship on the grounds that a black robe, a huge upside-down cross, and eerie, unearthly music was found in their home.

Turned out the cross was the framework for a kite, the black robe was left there by a local minister, and the unearthly music was Holst's The Planets.

gnomon

I'm not gonna try and dig up any records of this, but Im sure it's happened. People are crazy.

I have been told that this particular group has actively fought to have human sacrifice legalized for religious purposes.

This is the High Priests myspace page:

MySpace.com - Venger - 34 - Male - SUN PRAIRIE, Wisconsin - www.myspace.com/vengersatanis

From what I researched regarding Chultu followers it isn't far fetched at all.

Cthulhu followers?

I've heard of the literary or joke followers but are there people who take Cthulhu seriously.

I guess in America there probably are I just never though of that.

Trey of Diamonds

Cthulhu followers?

Last I heard is was a parody religion only but I suppose a few could have taken it seriously.

That cult would never die till the stars came right again, and the secret priests would take great Cthulhu from His tomb to revive His subjects and resume His rule of earth. The time would be easy to know, for then mankind would have become as the Great Old Ones; free and wild and beyond good and evil, with laws and morals thrown aside and all men shouting and killing and revelling in joy.
H.P. Lovecraft
"The Call of Cthulhu"

Vasilisa Jade

Formerly Saint Tigeress
Cthulhu followers?

I've heard of the literary or joke followers but are there people who take Cthulhu seriously.

I guess in America there probably are I just never though of that.

Yep. From what I have stumbled across, there are Chaos magicians that work with the Necronomicon and the "Old Ones" within it, very carefully. And then there are these people.

Chaos magicians, some anyway, have that book and the processes within it broken down into a science. The point being not to tick off whatever the book brings about, and to keep whatever the "Old Ones" are from maintaining a grip on our "plane" and wreaking havoc as result of thier workings. The rituals and such, if you can manage them, are supposed to be one path to reaching your higher self. The funny thing as well, is that the particular person who's tutorial I was reading admitted that the Necronomicon is a work of fiction, even the Simon Necronomicon. But that regardless, it works. Kind of like how people believe the Bible is a work of fiction, yet it is still powerful. 95% junk 5% treasure. I haven't found any of these people to be alarming.

The Cult of Chuhultu however... they believe all the stuff literally, like radically. Freakin scary.

Guitar's Cry

Disciple of Pan
Chaos magicians, some anyway, have that book and the processes within it broken down into a science. The point being not to tick off whatever the book brings about, and to keep whatever the "Old Ones" are from maintaining a grip on our "plane" and wreaking havoc as result of thier workings. The rituals and such, if you can manage them, are supposed to be one path to reaching your higher self. The funny thing as well, is that the particular person who's tutorial I was reading admitted that the Necronomicon is a work of fiction, even the Simon Necronomicon. But that regardless, it works. Kind of like how people believe the Bible is a work of fiction, yet it is still powerful. 95% junk 5% treasure. I haven't found any of these people to be alarming..

For a Chaos magician, it is irrelevant that it is a work of fiction, as the power comes from the individual. The framework is anything that is structured in the right way to bring out that power.

Vasilisa Jade

Formerly Saint Tigeress
Great explanation. Thank you so much.

I just wanted to make a quick point that not all people who mess with the stuff are evil and crazy and whatnot ya know.

There is so much information all over the place about the general topic of occultism, once you find the few bits of credidable info, there is still so much and it is so complex, for every whole I read I absorb about a quarter of it. :p

Oh back on topic. There are creditable account of human sacrifice in Africa and other indeginous places by crazy evil Hoo Doo witch doctors. The concept is the same over there, for occultists in other areas. If an ingredient for your ritual comes from something alive, the pain and life force that is still within the ingredient further empowers your ritual. Hence animal and human sacrifices. Like I said, people are crazy. Other people who believe this might just want something obsessively, and take themselves over the edge to obtain it.

Overseas it is common, in America I know it happens, I just think it is rare. Most would be too scared of repercussions and would use animals before humans.

Unless like with that Cult, the human sacrifice is voluntary of course.