• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Devil Worship

painted wolf

Grey Muzzle
People afraid of evil children are in need of some serious counseling.

And I agree there is no difference, except that the killing of these kids is actually happening and not enough is being done to stop it.

These people need someone to blame for their problems, kids can't fight back.

wa:do

gnomon

After the airing of a BBC documentary on the issue in Nigeria an arrest was made of one of the exorcists.
YouTube - African Witch Children Pt 1 (2008)
It's disturbing.

Somehow tying this back around to the OP, the mentality that leads to such beliefs can lead to things such as the trial of the West Memphis Three. I don't know exactly how much the concept of devil worship influenced that case but the fact that it was even presented, in a court of law, is disturbing in itself given not to mention that it also played a part in the McMartin case of ritual sexual abuse. Of the 360 children claimed to have been abused the reality of whether or not there was any abuse at all was completely marred by the satanic cult angle and the accepting of children's statements that were outright ludicrous as having to be true.

painted wolf

Grey Muzzle
I think another thing that feeds into this is fad quack medicine.
The double fad of 'regressive therapy' and the idea that "children can't/don't lie" that was being pushed by them.
Also at the time it was a major fad for satanic cults to be blamed for everything, from music that would make you kill yourself to role-playing games to those anti-social kids next door.

Children were being asked leading questions repeatedly by these so called "abuse experts" until they gave answers that the questioner wanted to hear. It only got worse when "satanic cult experts" were called in.

ps. thanks so much for the link.. that vid made me feel just sick inside for those poor kids, but it was totally worthwhile to watch!

Vasilisa Jade

Formerly Saint Tigeress
This is off topic to the OP but I wonder how much of the issue of "child witches" can be traced to the fact that these are poorer communities in those areas which the government has somewhat ignored. There are some strong local efforts made by others to increase the awareness among the government of what is happening and that basic aid could help alleviate this crisis.

It wouldn't even cost much. All they need is basic unbiased education. But how likely is that kind of aid?

painted wolf

Grey Muzzle
In a place where their religious leaders use witches to bilk them out of their lives savings or risk death and hell?

Not likely.

J-Train

Not true. Plenty of real religions practiced human sacrifice over the years. Aztec, Mayan, Native American, Hebrew, Celtic, African, etc, etc.

Actually you are wrong. Those are not religions those are cultures, races of people.
That has nothing to do with religion.

Azakel

Liebe ist für alle da
Actually you are wrong. Those are not religions those are cultures, races of people.

I think you missed the point, the religions in those cultures practiced them. And since we don't have a name for most of the religions in those cultures they are just referred to as the cultures they come from....and he's something for you too, People that follow those religions call them those to now a days.. ^_^

painted wolf

Grey Muzzle
Azakel is right... except for the "native american" and "hebrew" part. :D
The ancient Aztec and Mayans didn't really leave their religions names behind.

Trey of Diamonds

Allow me to restate then.

Not true. Plenty of real religions practiced human sacrifice over the years. The Religions of the Aztec, Mayan, Native American, Hebrew, Celtic, African, etc, etc.