• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Diary of a Dirty Commie

Laika

Premium Member
I'm back to being a Communist. I've decided at this point, that I have just been a coward (but with good reason).The shock of realising just how "bad" communism was has thrown me off balance. That discomfort, far from disappearing when I stopped identifying as a commie, has simply remained. its got a little bit easier but not much. My underlying beliefs have changed very little in the past two months. And the same problem of trying to come to terms with a world in which the "bad guys" can win is as difficult as always. But, as ashamed as I am of what my comrades have done, they are still my comrades. the sense that I am somehow tied to the torturers and executioners won't go away, and even if it did- there are still people out there who do that and will do it in my name whether I like it or know it or not. that's what government do even when its behind closed doors. And even if they weren't "comrades", they are still members of the human race. how much different is believing an ideology that brought the world gulags and killing fields any different from a belief in eternal judgement hell? what does it say about humanity that we would wish such a thing or worse, accept it as just or moral? In one form or another, the puzzle of how people could do such evil things remains. Trying to hide from the truth- won't change it. nor will trying to hide from who I am. I wish I could express how frightening that is. With time, it might get easier.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber & Business Owner
The shock of realising just how "bad" communism was has thrown me off balance.
That's probably why Marx and Engels wrote that communism is stateless (they also did associate with Stirner), and that the state works to gradually disassemble itself. It doesn't matter what banner those in power wave, they abuse it. Even Western Capitalism gets pretty nasty at times, but it's an act of smoke and mirrors, especially in America, where the worst-of-the-worst is out of sight and thus out of mind. As far as the Cold War go, it probably really didn't help things, at all, that Communism was the underdog fighting for survival against the giant of Capitalism - in a way, a process that is not all that much different from the Jihadist fighting for the survival of their ways and cultures against the Western Giant (or "Great Satan").
But it's good to see you back! Especially as Huey!:p

Laika

Premium Member
That's probably why Marx and Engels wrote that communism is stateless (they also did associate with Stirner), and that the state works to gradually disassemble itself. It doesn't matter what banner those in power wave, they abuse it. Even Western Capitalism gets pretty nasty at times, but it's an act of smoke and mirrors, especially in America, where the worst-of-the-worst is out of sight and thus out of mind. As far as the Cold War go, it probably really didn't help things, at all, that Communism was the underdog fighting for survival against the giant of Capitalism - in a way, a process that is not all that much different from the Jihadist fighting for the survival of their ways and cultures against the Western Giant (or "Great Satan").
But it's good to see you back! Especially as Huey!:p

Thanks. I really appreciate that. :)

I really hate it, but basically the Communists were right. Two months trying to be a something approaching moderate centrist only drove the message home. Wanting to believe that liberalism is a more just system simply because it doesn't say its killing people hasn't made it true. I find myself thinking Communists can be more trustworthy, in so far as you can trust a communist to be a communist. I'm not sure what to say about liberals and alot of them are my freinds. I don't want to hurt them by telling them its a lie because the truth can be so cruel. The trouble has been is that the abuse of power is inevitable and I'm going to have to learn to say as much and take the flack for it.

Maybe saying all the things people don't want to hear , I can find a way to do some good. but the feeling of sticking myself out on a limb and deliberately finding ways to make myself unpopular by walking straight into controversy is not inviting. I need to be more selfish occassionally.

every forum needs a Huey. I've sort of missed "him" too. :)

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber & Business Owner
The trouble has been is that the abuse of power is inevitable and I'm going to have to learn to say as much and take the flack for it.
That is what makes it difficult. Like him or not, Machievelli did hold power, lost it, regain it, and he saw the games of the politicians unfold. Liberals do a lot of dreaming, and few of them do see any power or political games. Many of them don't even realize how cushioned and privileged their lives are, and because they don't know a real problem they whine and complain about the most mundane and trivial of things, such as what Halloween costumes you shouldn't wear.
Unfortunately, those with power just don't give it up, and you just don't find the transfer of power to one hand to another without violence. And when your goal is to be the vanguard of the people, to ensure the benefit of the working class, to keep those lusting for power from grasping it, swords will have to be drawn.
I also think it's very easy to have such an emphasis on the wrong doings of Communists, because that is our culture. But our culture is not to put any notice on the wronging of our own governments. Admittedly I don't really know what it's like in the UK, but in America most people have no idea what Communism actually is, yet they know the crimes - both real and imaginary - of Soviet Russia. But what their own government does and has done, they don't let it sink in, they don't accept it, or they just don't know about it. Those corporations they cherish, they have no idea how bad they really are. In it's modern form, Colonialism 2.0 is a suiting term for the age. People want to say Communism is bad, but they refuse to accept Capitalism can, will, and does destroy our very planet for a buck. People are afraid of the "big bad state," but they don't bat an eye to that "wonderful" corporation that brought hundreds or even thousands of jobs to a community who is, at the same time, poisoning the very community who worships it with its toxic waste and pollution. People want to say the state is bad, but they don't realize these "terrific" corporations that "made our way of life possible" is killing them through the chemicals that are pumped into livestock and added into most of the market.
Really, I see the issue as really nothing more as a question of who do you want to have power? Corporations? A state? The Workers? Councils or Tribunals? The harder question, however, is how to change power with making as little of a mess as possible? Who will see the gentle benevolence of the ruling class and who will be smitten by the Sword of Power that destroys foes, opposing kings, and internal threats alike? Who will live, and who will be totally annihilated? It is hopeful that peace can prevail in the end, but, unfortunately, there will always be the dissenters who would seize power for themselves and undo what has been worked for who must be put down.

Laika

Premium Member
its been well over a year since I've posted here. So here's roughly where I'm at now:

I stayed up late to watch the US election results come in. It was about 2-2:30am UK time when the results shifted in the direction of Trump. I sort of knew it was possible but, much like everyone else, that was not the outcome I was expecting.

If I've spent about a decade dealing with Communism as a purely hypothetical and speculative idea, the period between Trumps election and inauguration was when I was trying to process the reality that it could actually happen in my lifetime given the level of instability (assuming it plays out over a long time and/or continues to escalates). it forced a deep re-think. I'm far from certain on what the outcome will be, but it brought all my doubts, hesitations, reservations, denials, deceptions and self-deceptions into sharp relief by trying to figure out what I am actually trying to achieve and whether it really matters in the grand scheme of things. it is a strange time, but the strangest thing for me has been watching others become more and more extreme as I try to put extremism behind me. its painful to see others fall into the trap of the illusion of certainty I fell into many years ago because I know they're going to get hurt and there really is nothing I can do about it. I'm not sure what there is to do, but whatever my politics will be- I want it to be a reflection of a fully grown adult, not just a child minds in an adults body that seems regrettably common amongst the far left. we really need some deep thinkers and adults in the world if we are going to clear up this mess.

I have simply started ignoring the news altogether because it has little or no relationship with reality as stuff gets blown out of proportion. its not even remotely useful anymore and Its not good for democracy or your mental health to have to deal with that stuff. I cut back on RF, then dropped out altogether for two months. it seemed like the best thing I could do to get my head straight and burst out of the bubble.

Without RF I had alot of time on my hands, so I took several round day-trips using the local bus and train service to get through the nearest major towns and cities (just to be outdoors and away from the internet). After a particularly nice trip, I decided to finally gets some voluntary work to keep myself busy and do something productive. Its turned out ok and I'm getting on well with all the people there. that's something I can at least point to and say "I did something with my life" and I'm very proud of it.

Curious George

Veteran Member
its been well over a year since I've posted here. So here's roughly where I'm at now:

I stayed up late to watch the US election results come in. It was about 2-2:30am UK time when the results shifted in the direction of Trump. I sort of knew it was possible but, much like everyone else, that was not the outcome I was expecting.

If I've spent about a decade dealing with Communism as a purely hypothetical and speculative idea, the period between Trumps election and inauguration was when I was trying to process the reality that it could actually happen in my lifetime given the level of instability (assuming it plays out over a long time and/or continues to escalates). it forced a deep re-think. I'm far from certain on what the outcome will be, but it brought all my doubts, hesitations, reservations, denials, deceptions and self-deceptions into sharp relief by trying to figure out what I am actually trying to achieve and whether it really matters in the grand scheme of things. it is a strange time, but the strangest thing for me has been watching others become more and more extreme as I try to put extremism behind me. its painful to see others fall into the trap of the illusion of certainty I fell into many years ago because I know they're going to get hurt and there really is nothing I can do about it. I'm not sure what there is to do, but whatever my politics will be- I want it to be a reflection of a fully grown adult, not just a child minds in an adults body that seems regrettably common amongst the far left. we really need some deep thinkers and adults in the world if we are going to clear up this mess.

I have simply started ignoring the news altogether because it has little or no relationship with reality as stuff gets blown out of proportion. its not even remotely useful anymore and Its not good for democracy or your mental health to have to deal with that stuff. I cut back on RF, then dropped out altogether for two months. it seemed like the best thing I could do to get my head straight and burst out of the bubble.

Without RF I had alot of time on my hands, so I took several round day-trips using the local bus and train service to get through the nearest major towns and cities (just to be outdoors and away from the internet). After a particularly nice trip, I decided to finally gets some voluntary work to keep myself busy and do something productive. Its turned out ok and I'm getting on well with all the people there. that's something I can at least point to and say "I did something with my life" and I'm very proud of it.
I am glad to see this thread come up again. Your views, not just political, have changed a lot in your time on RF. If you don't mind sharing, what are your current feelings toward your parents and the lives they've led?

Laika

Premium Member
I am glad to see this thread come up again. Your views, not just political, have changed a lot in your time on RF. If you don't mind sharing, what are your current feelings toward your parents and the lives they've led?

thanks. its always nice to hear I'm getting somewhere. :)

Since I've had a job the past month (for two days a week), it hasn't been as much of an issue. I'm out of the house, I am around "other" (saner) people, can spend my own money and buy myself lunch. These are little things but they add up to me not having to negotiate my life with my parents- a big plus. Financially, I'm still dependent on them but I moved my savings into my current account, so effectively I now have a very solid bank balance and "some" security. my dad worst feature is his paranoia about controlling the finances so this means I don't have to ask him for money. getting paid work would almost solve this problem.

With the exception of being a bit overwhelmed by customers when I'm working the till, I prefer being out than being in the house. having a job means I get two days off away from my parents (and the internet) so I'm a lot calmer, more open and more "zen". I got on well with one of my co-workers on the till yesterday and would have actually stayed longer if I thought it was an option. Even the half hour commute on the bus is basically stress free me-time. this all adds up to a kind of safety value where I can get out and get away rather than be trapped going round and round in circles in my head.

I think I basically just bury it emotionally, put it "out of sight, out of mind". Its not exactly the same as repression, but more like taking a deep breath and saying to myself "Ok, what's the most practical thing I can do here?" Trying to be more practical has done wonders for my mental health as it means I feel, little by little, more empowered to do stuff.

Todays ******** involves my mum setting up her new laptop and worrying that she might break something or realising just how much personal information she's sharing, etc. She's setting up the laptop on the kitchen table, much to my dad's annoyance because this is "stopping" him from cooking the dinner. Its stupid but they are too selfish and obessive to admit it.

having re-written this post over several times, dinner is now served, so I'd better be off. :)

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member

Ignoring news is a good idea. The media try to create a limited environment with a focus they choose. I see the effect this has on people, ie, obsession over particular issues, real & otherwise. A little regular news is fine. But larger & less ephemeral matters are more worthy of one's time. Nowadays, when I'm driving all day, I listen to podcasts....TED talks, Freakonomics, Science Friday. The drudgery of travel has been lightened.

Laika

Premium Member
My dad just lost it with the cat for puking on his book. I guess he left it out in the kitchen where we look them up for the night.

I really wish my parents had more of a sense of humour.

Rival

Diex Aie
Staff member
Premium Member
My dad just lost it with the cat for puking on his book. I guess he left it out in the kitchen where we look them up for the night.

I really wish my parents had more of a sense of humour.
My first concern would be about the cat.

Laika

Premium Member
I spent a very pleasant day with @Rival yesterday. The weather was nice, the food was "ok" and it was great to be out and with someone I could talk to. I'm looking forward to meeting up again sometime. :)

Rival

Diex Aie
Staff member
Premium Member
I spent a very pleasant day with @Rival yesterday. The weather was nice, the food was "ok" and it was great to be out and with someone I could talk to. I'm looking forward to meeting up again sometime. :)
And a fight between an old man and two boys on a bike :D

Laika

Premium Member
Is this some secret code calling for workers to rise up and start the Revolution?

lol, no. I wish. there were three kids on two bikes. one of them was sitting/clinging on to the front on the bike as the other peddled him round. So an old man started shouting at them at how dangerous it was an threatened to call the police. me and rival were sitting on a bench nearby and quietly walked away. :D

Laika

Premium Member
Lysenko and Climate Change Denial: Why its probably a False Equivalency

My opinion of the newspapers is pretty low, but if only to help me along to a conclusion there was a commentary in the Independent comparing Donald Trump's Climate Change Denial with the Politicisation of Science in the Soviet Union, particularly Lysenko in Biology. This is sadly just an attempt to put Trump and Stalin in the same headline, without giving much thought to the background. Perhaps the market for comparing Hitler and Trump has been so saturated since Charlottesville that the media is looking for new ways to slander him by comparing him to dead dictators both with a higher body counts (and arguably far greater achievements) exceeding terms of office than Trumps current seven months in the White House. In terms of the currency of popular evil in the West, Stalin is either first or second on the list depending how you compare him with Hitler. Its cheap journalism even if it is trying to make an important point about the boundary between politics and science. But it reflects the shallowness of historical parallels and how much they have to do with popular myth rather than history.

There are several reasons why it can be treated as a false equivalency. If we treat the remaining Five Communist states as heirs to Stalin's politicisation of Science, North Korea, China, Cuba, Laos and Vietnam all accept the science of Climate Change and are members of the Paris Climate Accord. Even though North Korea is an international pariah for its nuclear programme, it still takes its obligation to deal with climate change seriously (probably due to its vulnerability to famine from climate instability). North Korea condemned Trump's withdrawal from the Paris Climate Agreement as "the height of egotism and moral vacuum seeking only their own well-being at the cost of the entire planet". In response to the effort to roll back regulations on Coal, Chinese state media said: “Western opinion should continue to pressure the Trump administration on climate change. Washington’s political selfishness must be discouraged.” “China will remain the world’s biggest developing country for a long time. How can it be expected to sacrifice its own development space for those developed western powerhouses?”

Possibly as early as 1945, Soviet Scientists Aleksei Pavlov and Vladimir Vernadsky recognised the role of human agency in altering the environment, predating the concept of the Anthropocene (coined in 2000) buy over half a century. Whilst the support of Lysenko's theories of biology was a serious error in Soviet science, it was not representative of Soviet Science as a whole and the complex relationship between politics, science and philosophy in the Soviet Union. Moreover, Lyensko's theories closely resembled those of Lemarckian theories of inheritance of acquired traits over Mandells theories of inheritance of genetic traits. Even though the methods Lysenko employed were primarily political, the dispute over the nature of inheritance has its origins in an older debate over the mechanism of inheritance. By comparison Climate Change denial is built not on potentially falsifiable assertions about the properties of inheritance but on grossly exaggerating the level of uncertainty in Climate Change to the point of attacking scientists ability to reach any sort of conclusion and exploiting the illiteracy of the general public in scientific matters.

Here the equivalency begins to show in that challenges to politically correct science are deliberate deceptions by a foreign enemy. In the case of Stalin, genetics was treated as a "fascist" science for its relationship with eugenics and its association with Nazi ideology. Trump meanwhile accuses Climate Change of being a hoax perpetrated by China to undermine America's competitiveness in the world economy. It is simplistic however to treat them as equivalent because it mistakes the Soviet politicisation of Science as automatically repressive or reactionary when Soviet science was also capable of advances. The value of the comparison lies, only in discussing the political nature of the methods used and the way in which political interests interfere with and distort Science. Even here, however, there are significant distinctions between the distortion of science in a (a largely) democratic country and a totalitarian state as scientists are not killed by the state for saying that "climate change is real and man-made" even though they did so in the Soviet Union for saying "genetics is real".

In terms of environmental science however, the Soviets would have found much of the Green movement distinctly "reactionary" or even "fascist" for its association with Thomas Malthus, dating back to Marx and Engels objection to Malthus' theory of population. In this sense, there is a distinct similarity between the anti-environmentalism of the Right and the Left because they would insist on the primacy of Economic growth above "physical limits to growth" imposed upon man by the environment. Both would necessarily favour technological solutions to the problems, especially the Soviets whose ideology included the willingness to consciously and deliberately plan nature as part of their totalitarian scientific mastery over it. In the USSR, this often had its own catastrophic results such as the over-irrigation of the Aral sea in Central Asia. Here a certain level of technological arrogance is worth comparing.

Personally, I'd think it is however unlikely that even Joseph Stalin would have denied Climate Change as there was nothing to be gained by the Soviets in doing so as China and North Korea show today. Whilst it is true I could well be projecting my own opinions onto history, it is wrong to use Stalin (or Hitler) as short hand for a standard unit measurement of evil. If we are to judge Trump, the value of historical comparisons and parallels is as a beginning rather than the end of the story. The confrontation between Science and Politics is still a product of its time, and its why a Climate Change denier cannot legitimately compare themselves to Galileo's conflict with the Catholic Church over a sun or earth centred universe. Climate Change denial is not being suppressed being it conflicts with Christian Theology, nor is Climate Change Science being suppressed because of its implications regarding human hereditary and the permanence of social hierarchy on a system professing egalitarian goals. Ultimately, Trump is a product of our time, not Stalin's. If you look deeper, the shallowness of the comparison becomes more obvious.

Laika

Premium Member
Just for the sake of completeness, its worth updating this that I no longer identify as a Communist. The violence has proven an incredible turn off and the lack of any clear explanation as to why it was necessary or justified has proven too much. I'm still working through the implications but this may be my last post in this thread. It has been very sad to say the least and is not how I would have want this to end. I may well start another journal thread soon or use the essay thread I started a while back. Thanks for reading and I hope something useful will have come out of it.

*takes a bow and leaves stage*
s_l300_1.png

BSM1

What? Me worry?
Just for the sake of completeness, its worth updating this that I no longer identify as a Communist. The violence has proven an incredible turn off and the lack of any clear explanation as to why it was necessary or justified has proven too much. I'm still working through the implications but this may be my last post in this thread. It has been very sad to say the least and is not how I would have want this to end. I may well start another journal thread soon or use the essay thread I started a while back. Thanks for reading and I hope something useful will have come out of it.

*takes a bow and leaves stage*
s_l300_1.png

*thank goodness you didn't drop that expensive mic as you left*