• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Did jesus become a curse or a blessing for us

free spirit

Hi! averyone;:D
We all know that the New Testament has been in the hands of men for 2000 years, I believe that in the first 100 years some evil man has introduced in the sacred word anomalies which are the cause of the many Christian faiths.
Here is one of them.
In Galatians 3 - 13, We read; "Christ redeemed us from the curse of the LAW, having become a curse for us- for it is written, "cursed is everyone who hangs on a tree."
I believe that the original verse would have read, "Christ redeemed us from the curse of the LAW, having FULFILLED THE LAW for us.

What do you think, did he become a CURSE or a BLESSING for us?
:shout

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
As I follow Jesus then I would have to have been a blessing- for me and all those others who believe in Him. I can't speak for those who don't. :)

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
People can take almost anything and turn it into something to hurt somebody else with.

I think we're the curse.

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist
Uhm is it just me or did all the members in this thread skipped the OP and answered based on the title? :p

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
TO, ChristineES

Than, has the scripture been contaminated by men?

My problem has always been about the Epistles written by Paul. I know they were written before the gospels, but what Paul said doesn't seem to always add up to what Jesus said in the Gospels. It almost always does- but there are a few instances when Paul said things that Jesus wasn't quoted as saying in the Gospels. Most of the Churches I have belonged to and have attended seem to be mostly taken from Paul's writings. I have nothing against Paul at all, but Jesus was the Messiah, not Paul.
One big example is Jesus saying to take care of widows and Paul putting conditions on it. Another is about women- Jesus taught women and even had a woman (the woman by the well) to tell people about Him (other Samaritans) while Paul dismissed women to be silent.

free spirit

TO CHRISTINE,
:D
My problem has always been about the Epistles written by Paul. I know they were written before the gospels, but what Paul said doesn't seem to always add up to what Jesus said in the Gospels. It almost always does- but there are a few instances when Paul said things that Jesus wasn't quoted as saying in the Gospels. Most of the Churches I have belonged to and have attended seem to be mostly taken from Paul's writings. I have nothing against Paul at all, but Jesus was the Messiah, not Paul.
One big example is Jesus saying to take care of widows and Paul putting conditions on it. Another is about women- Jesus taught women and even had a woman (the woman by the well) to tell people about Him (other Samaritans) while Paul dismissed women to be silent.

I am incline to sugest to you that Paul was a man of God, and his writing were perfectly written as the Lord dictated them: But after his departure, those who had control of his writings decided to change some of then to confuse the way that leads to God.:)
"Paul dismissed women to be silent" is a good thread title.

Last edited:

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist
To Caladan

Sorry, I am new around here, but where can i find ( OP ) it is a bit short for a title. :D

lol, welcome FS. by OP I mean Original Post (the first post in the thread). the first few posts seemed to skip the dillema you presented and answered your title. ;)

Free4all

It's all about the blood
Christ obeyed the law and did not deserve the death of Deut 21:18-21. He became a curse and he was forsaken of God (Matt 27:46) as he became the personification (John 3:14) of sin itself. (2 Cor 5:21)

opuntia

Religion is Law
Galatians 3:13 was written in reference to Deuteronomy 21:23: "His body shall not remain all night upon the tree, but thou shalt in any wise bury him that day; (for he that is hanged is accursed of God;) that thy land be not defiled, which the LORD thy God giveth thee for an inheritance." (KJV)

That Jesus was called sinless is recorded in the New Testament. Hebrews 4:14-15; 7:26; 1 Peter 1:19; 2:21-24; read Isaiah 53:1-12 for an explanation of a man to come. As Jesus was called sinless, this places him in a special category. Paul states that we "all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God." (Romans 3:23). No matter where we are, in geographical terms or time (place of existence' e.g., century), we have sinned or have broken some divine law (see 1 John 3:4).

Therefore, having broken a divine law, justice demands payment or restitution from the offender. Today, whenever someone breaks our criminal laws, the offender is tried, sentenced and remanded to jail or prison, where the offender will remain until the law is satisfied. Likewise, divine law demands that someone pay the debt. Unless we are willing to pay that penalty ourselves, we would surely desire a savior or someone else to pay that godly debt. Hence, Jesus is called a Savior for that reason: He will save us from our sins.

Jesus was called to be the person upon whom the LAW could be exacted. How painful is God's punishment? We may not wish to find out. Therefore, Jesus became the lightning rod for the sins of those who believe on Him. "He that believeth on him is not condemned: but he that believeth not is condemned already, because he hath not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God." (John 3:18). He or she that does not believe it appears will pay for their own sins. For all those who believe in the Son of God will receive protection from the wrath of the LAW, so He became a "curse" for us so He could pay the penalty. And since the LAW could have no hold upon Him because He broke no law, He could pay the penalty willingly. "Therefore doth my Father love me, because I lay down my life, that I might take it again." (John 10:17). Any person who has broken the law (whether ours or God's) cannot get out of prison until the sentence is finished. So we cannot help anyone else because we are all in the same predicament. Jesus therefore being a free Being can come into our prisons and free us if we are willing to believe and do as He asks. It is not enough to be set free, we must do as Jesus bids. "If any man serve me, let him follow me." (John 12:26).

It takes time and study to fathom the meaning of the words found in scripture, since they speak of things beyond our ordinary experiences. If you are one of the fortunate few to have been favored of God and received divine inspiration or the ability to comprehend the deep import of these words, then you are fortunate indeed for the rest of humanity relies upon ordinary scholarship for its understanding.

free spirit

to opuntia

Galatians 3:13 was written in reference to Deuteronomy 21:23: "His body shall not remain all night upon the tree, but thou shalt in any wise bury him that day; (for he that is hanged is accursed of God;) that thy land be not defiled, which the LORD thy God giveth thee for an inheritance." (KJV)

That Jesus was called sinless is recorded in the New Testament. Hebrews 4:14-15; 7:26; 1 Peter 1:19; 2:21-24; read Isaiah 53:1-12 for an explanation of a man to come. As Jesus was called sinless, this places him in a special category. Paul states that we "all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God." (Romans 3:23). No matter where we are, in geographical terms or time (place of existence' e.g., century), we have sinned or have broken some divine law (see 1 John 3:4).

Therefore, having broken a divine law, justice demands payment or restitution from the offender. Today, whenever someone breaks our criminal laws, the offender is tried, sentenced and remanded to jail or prison, where the offender will remain until the law is satisfied. Likewise, divine law demands that someone pay the debt. Unless we are willing to pay that penalty ourselves, we would surely desire a savior or someone else to pay that godly debt. Hence, Jesus is called a Savior for that reason: He will save us from our sins.

Jesus was called to be the person upon whom the LAW could be exacted. How painful is God's punishment? We may not wish to find out. Therefore, Jesus became the lightning rod for the sins of those who believe on Him. "He that believeth on him is not condemned: but he that believeth not is condemned already, because he hath not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God." (John 3:18). He or she that does not believe it appears will pay for their own sins. For all those who believe in the Son of God will receive protection from the wrath of the LAW, so He became a "curse" Sin is no curse, death is no curse, the law became a curse for us because we could not keep it. so in what sense he became a "curse"
for us so He could pay the penalty. And since the LAW could have no hold upon Him because He broke no law, He could pay the penalty willingly. "Therefore doth my Father love me, because I lay down my life, that I might take it again." (John 10:17). Any person who has broken the law (whether ours or God's) cannot get out of prison until the sentence is finished. So we cannot help anyone else because we are all in the same predicament. Jesus therefore being a free Being can come into our prisons and free us if we are willing to believe and do as He asks. It is not enough to be set free, we must do as Jesus bids. "If any man serve me, let him follow me." (John 12:26).

It takes time and study to fathom the meaning of the words found in scripture, since they speak of things beyond our ordinary experiences. If you are one of the fortunate few to have been favored of God and received divine inspiration or the ability to comprehend the deep import of these words, then you are fortunate indeed for the rest of humanity relies upon ordinary scholarship for its understanding.
The spirit of God is the spirit of freedom from the LAW; You can trust this one for the law is the "curse"

Last edited:

opuntia

Religion is Law
Jesus became a vicarious representative for us. Since we have sinned, we need somebody to stand before God and help us and that is Jesus. Since He is the only begotten Son of God, we have what you might call an attorney before God to defend us from the LAW.

As you know, law has two parts: the part which tells us what we should do and the part which says what should be done to whomever broke or failed to keep the law. If a law has no punishment provisions, it is no law. God's LAW is the same: God commands and we obey; but we do not always obey so the LAW has a provision which says what should be done to the offender. If you prefer, you can pay for your own sins. Or call upon Jesus for forgiveness and help.

How hard is it to comprehend these essentially simple facts? Too many people mystify what is essentially doctrine designed to be understood by mortals. People do not pray enough or have enough faith to get answers to their questions from God but rely upon others for answers.

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006
Hi! averyone;:D
We all know that the New Testament has been in the hands of men for 2000 years, I believe that in the first 100 years some evil man has introduced in the sacred word anomalies which are the cause of the many Christian faiths.
Here is one of them.
In Galatians 3 - 13, We read; "Christ redeemed us from the curse of the LAW, having become a curse for us- for it is written, "cursed is everyone who hangs on a tree."
I believe that the original verse would have read, "Christ redeemed us from the curse of the LAW, having FULFILLED THE LAW for us.

What do you think, did he become a CURSE or a BLESSING for us?
I think you haven't exegeted the text in question. You've only provided a proof-text from Matthew (who didn't even know Paul).
Christ became a curse in our place. Christ became dirty along with us, because we could not make ourselves clean.

The "original verse" is pretty accurate. It means what it says it means.

The Law isn't seen as a curse.

sojourner

Than, has the scripture been contaminated by men?
Conaminated? It was written, edited, redacted, compiled and understood by men. What do you mean by "contaminated?" That the text was changed? Do you not know how fluid these texts were for hundreds of years? They didn't become fixed until the canonization process in the 400's.

sojourner

I am incline to sugest to you that Paul was a man of God, and his writing were perfectly written as the Lord dictated them: But after his departure, those who had control of his writings decided to change some of then to confuse the way that leads to God.:)
"Paul dismissed women to be silent" is a good thread title.
"Dictated?"
"Control of his writings?"
"Decided to change them...to confuse the way that leads to God?"
Don't have much faith in your roots, do ya!

free spirit

I think you haven't exegeted the text in question. You've only provided a proof-text from Matthew (who didn't even know Paul).
Christ became a curse in our place. Christ became dirty along with us, because we could not make ourselves clean.
Christ become flesh,therefore he became sin, for flesh and sin is one and the same.
We were never cursed, sin is not a curse, death is not a curse, the law however became a curse for us because we could no keep it.
It is important that this point is understood; the law is holy righteous and good, but became a curse for us because we could not keep it.

I believe he diead sinless to fulfill the law for us, so he freed us from the curse of the law. And he became a blessing for us, and not a curse, for if he became a curse; is he a curse for us? Also death is not a curse it is a consequence of sin.

So, you are saying that just by dieing on a tree you are accursed of God?

The Law isn't seen as a curse.
Galatians 3 - 10; "For as many as are of the works of the law are under a curse; for it is written, cursed is everyone who does not abide by all things written in the book of the law, to perform them."

sojourner

Christ become flesh,therefore he became sin, for flesh and sin is one and the same.
How Calvinistic of you...
I believe he diead sinless to fulfill the law for us, so he freed us from the curse of the law.
Let's see...First of all, Christ became flesh (which is sin), but he "died sinless," which means that, either you're not clear on your theology, or you believe that Christ wasn't in the flesh when he died.
And he became a blessing for us, and not a curse,
Oh, right, right, right! Because that's not really "what the Bible says" ... according to ... whom? You? Why should we believe you?
So, you are saying that just by dieing on a tree you are accursed of God?
No, I'm saying:
You can't change the theology present in the text, claiming that "it must be corrupt," just because it happens to not make sense to you. Chances are greater that it's your theology that's skewed, than that it's the text that's skewed.