• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Died For Our Sins ?

Heneni

Miss Independent
Most sensible and compassionate human systems have outlawed the death sentence. Is God not more sensible and compassionate than we? Punishment by crucifixion is laughable at best and despicable at its core. It's an act of terrorism. Have you ever witnessed a crucifixion? Apparently not.

God is far more compassionate than we are, infact he has been patient with his objects of wrath.

And we are told:

22Be merciful to those who doubt; 23snatch others from the fire and save them; to others show mercy, mixed with fear--hating even the clothing stained by corrupted flesh.

Lets see if god has compassion on his objects of wrath, does he just wipe them out or does he give them leaway.

Romans 9:22

22What if God, choosing to show his wrath and make his power known, bore with great patience the objects of his wrath--prepared for destruction? 23What if he did this to make the riches of his glory known to the objects of his mercy, whom he prepared in advance for glory.

God is patient with his objects of wrath. That shows compassion. But they are also perpared for destruction.

Ephesians 5:6
6Let no one deceive you with empty words, for because of such things God's wrath comes on those who are disobedient. 7Therefore do not be partners with them.

Was it god's plan to for his son to be crucified?

Isaiah 53:10
Yet it was the LORD's will to crush him and cause him to suffer,
and though the LORD makes his life a guilt offering,
he will see his offspring (those recreated IN christ jesus)and prolong his days,
and the will of the LORD will prosper in his hand.

Jesus was not a victim of men, he said:

John 10:18
No one takes it from me, but I lay it down of my own accord. I have authority to lay it down and authority to take it up again. This command I received from my Father.

Heneni

Miss Independent
Jesus could forgive sin because Jesus was God Incarnate.

I thought the Bible says that the only unpardonable sin is to blaspheme against the Holy Spirit...
BTW, I'm not so sure disbelief is, by definition, sin.

You blaspheme the HS by talking and acting contrary to what He says and does.

If the HS says A, and you say no the HS says B, then you are blaspheming the HS. That would mean, you are doing the unpordonable thing...acting and speaking in unbelief.

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006
God is far more compassionate than we are, infact he has been patient with his objects of wrath.
Yet God condemns some of us to destruction. Doesn't sound very compassionate to me.
How long does God wait? How long must God be patient? In fact, God waits until the lost are found.
Lets see if god has compassion on his objects of wrath, does he just wipe them out or does he give them leaway.
You said God condemns them to the lake of fire.
God is patient with his objects of wrath. That shows compassion. But they are also perpared for destruction.
In other words, God dangles us over the lake of fire before summarily dropping us in. God is not only rigid, but cruel.
God's wrath comes on those who are disobedient. 7Therefore do not be partners with them.
We're all disobedient, and we all hang out with others who are. Guess we're all destined for destruction.
Was it god's plan to for his son to be crucified?
Absolutely not.
Isaiah 53:10
Yet it was the LORD's will to crush him and cause him to suffer,
and though the LORD makes his life a guilt offering,
he will see his offspring (those recreated IN christ jesus)and prolong his days,
and the will of the LORD will prosper in his hand.
It's always a mistake to read "Jesus" into any OT writing. it just ain't in there.
You blaspheme the HS by talking and acting contrary to what He says and does.
God is extremely compassionate. I advocate extreme compassion. God is extremely patient. I advocate extreme patience. God is extremely hospitable. I advocate extreme hospitality.

You, on the other hand, tell us that God not only created some of us to be destroyed in a lake of fire, but that God actually dangles us over that lake before summarily dropping us in.
Your accusation of me reeks of projection.

God is not a God of fear. And we, contrary to what Jonathan Edwards might have said, are not in the hands of an angry God, but in the hands of a loving and forbearing Father.

Zhakir

Peace&Tolerance
We have many condradicting views of christians here.
1.The death of Jesus on the cross forgives all the sins of all humans and no one will go to Hell,eve atheists.
2.The death of Jesus on the cross forgives all the sins except unbelief.
3.Hell is there for sinners but not much people will go there.
4.If someone sins he/she dies and Hell=grave.
Hopefully we all agree that we need to get back to the Bible and see what's right.
Another thing, we all agree that 2 views of these 4 views can't be right and true at the same time.It's impossible,Unbelievers can't be to Hell and "not" be Hell at the same time,We are sure that only one view is right,maby not included here.
Consider the following incident mentioned in the Bible:

"And behold, one came and said unto him, ‘Good Master, what good thing shall I do, that I may have eternal life?’

And he said unto him, ‘Why callest thou me good? There is none good but one, that is, God: but if thou wilt enter into life, keep the commandments.’ "
[Mathew 19:16-17]
Jesus (pbuh) did not say that to have the eternal life of paradise, man should believe in him as Almighty God or worship him as God, or believe that Jesus (pbuh) would die for his sins. On the contrary he said that the path to salvation was through keeping the commandments. It is indeed striking to note the difference between the words of Jesus Christ (pbuh) and the Christian dogma of salvation through the sacrifice of Jesus (pbuh).

sojourner

We have many condradicting views of christians here.
1.The death of Jesus on the cross forgives all the sins of all humans and no one will go to Hell,eve atheists.
Hopefully we all agree that we need to get back to the Bible and see what's right.
Another thing, we all agree that 2 views of these 4 views can't be right and true at the same time.It's impossible,Unbelievers can't be to Hell and "not" be Hell at the same time,We are sure that only one view is right,maby not included here.

"And behold, one came and said unto him, ‘Good Master, what good thing shall I do, that I may have eternal life?’

And he said unto him, ‘Why callest thou me good? There is none good but one, that is, God: but if thou wilt enter into life, keep the commandments.’ "
Jesus (pbuh) did not say that to have the eternal life of paradise, man should believe in him as Almighty God or worship him as God, or believe that Jesus (pbuh) would die for his sins. On the contrary he said that the path to salvation was through keeping the commandments. It is indeed striking to note the difference between the words of Jesus Christ (pbuh) and the Christian dogma of salvation through the sacrifice of Jesus (pbuh).
Please don't presume to preach the Bible or Christian theology to Christians. It's not what Allah would want you to do.;)

Heneni

Miss Independent
God is extremely compassionate. I advocate extreme compassion. God is extremely patient. I advocate extreme patience. God is extremely hospitable. I advocate extreme hospitality.

You are making god sound like a fool to be honest. Sin is an attack on the worth and glory of god. God's righteousness is his unwavering commitment to uphold his worth of his glory and promote its fame in all the world.

When sin is treated as though it is inconsequencial, then the glory of god is treated as such. When god passes over sin, it looks as though he is agreeing that his glory is of little value.

If god only passes over sin then he joins sinners in Romans 1:23 and exhanges his glory for the creature. If god did that, there would be no hope for there would be no righteous god.

Jesus did everything he did for the glory of his Father. ''Father glorify your name he said'.

Anybody that undoes the work of god, or suppresses the truth, continues to undermine the glory of god, and for that there is no more sacrifice to be made. They are storing up wrath for themselves.

sojourner

Unfortunately, the Bible isn't going to help us much here, since both sides represent a valid Biblical argument. Remember, the Bible is a polyvalent document.
Another thing, we all agree that 2 views of these 4 views can't be right and true at the same time.
Not necessarily.
Jesus did not say that to have the eternal life of paradise, man should believe in him as Almighty God or worship him as God, or believe that Jesus would die for his sins. On the contrary he said that the path to salvation was through keeping the commandments. It is indeed striking to note the difference between the words of Jesus Christ and the Christian dogma of salvation through the sacrifice of Jesus.
Your exegesis is flawed. You should quit while you're ahead.

Zhakir

Peace&Tolerance
Please don't presume to preach the Bible or Christian theology to Christians. It's not what Allah would want you to do.;)
You are wrong,it is what Allah (swt) want me to do. Please don't presume to preach The Quranic or Islamic theology to me and the Muslims,If you don't know or understand it :facepalm:.
Allah clearly says in The Quran (a verse you don't know or understand)
3:64
Say: "O People of the Book! come to common terms as between us and you: That we worship none but Allah; that we associate no partners withhim; that we erect not, from among ourselves, Lords and patrons other thanAllah." If then they turn back, say ye: "Bear witness that we (at least) areMuslims (bowing to Allah's Will).
Again,consider the following incident mentioned in the Bible:

sojourner

Sin is an attack on the worth and glory of god.
Who's making God sound weak and powerless? God is mightier than sin. God is impervious to sin. Sin doesn't hurt God. But it does hurt us.
God's righteousness is his unwavering commitment to uphold his worth of his glory and promote its fame in all the world.
God does that by not counting our sin against us. I suspect that, if (and that's a rather large "if") God keeps tallys what we do, God only chooses to keep tally of the good stuff. Sin is death, and God has no truck with death.
When sin is treated as though it is inconsequencial, then the glory of god is treated as such.
maybe if we began treating righteousness with more conscientiousness as we do sin, then righteousness would become more ingrained in us than sin.
When god passes over sin, it looks as though he is agreeing that his glory is of little value.
When God dwells on sin, it looks as though God's afraid of sin.
If god only passes over sin then he joins sinners in Romans 1:23 and exhanges his glory for the creature.
Jesus exchanged his glory for the creature...
If god did that, there would be no hope for there would be no righteous god.
So... the crucifixion is meaningless.
Jesus did everything he did for the glory of his Father. ''Father glorify your name he said'.
The glory of any Father is his progeny.
Anybody that undoes the work of god, or suppresses the truth, continues to undermine the glory of god, and for that there is no more sacrifice to be made.
There is only one sacrifice -- once for all.
They are storing up wrath for themselves.
Why do you think Jesus called for repentance?

sojourner

You are wrong,it is what Allah (swt) want me to do. Please don't presume to preach The Quranic or Islamic theology to me and the Muslims,If you don't know or understand it :facepalm:.
Allah clearly says in The Quran (a verse you don't know or understand)
3:64
Say: "O People of the Book! come to common terms as between us and you: That we worship none but Allah; that we associate no partners withhim; that we erect not, from among ourselves, Lords and patrons other thanAllah." If then they turn back, say ye: "Bear witness that we (at least) areMuslims (bowing to Allah's Will).
Again,consider the following incident mentioned in the Bible:

Can you say, "double standard?" I think you can!

You are Muslim. You don't understand either the Bible or Christian theology. Yet you presume to try to teach it to me, a Christian, well-versed in both Biblical exegesis and theology.
Then you turn around and say
Please don't presume to preach The Quranic or Islamic theology to me and the Muslims,If you don't know or understand it :facepalm:.
Then, you repeat the whole miserable, laughable act.

My comment, "Allah wouldn't want you to do that" was a comic hyperbole. But I guess you didn't "get it."

Oh well.

Heneni

Miss Independent
Who's making God sound weak and powerless? God is mightier than sin. God is impervious to sin. Sin doesn't hurt God. But it does hurt us.

Of course god is mightier than sin. But his glory and love for his son far exceeds anything that we can try to undermine. If you think that God should reward men who trample on jesus and exhange his glory you are talking and speaking against the Holy god.

God does that by not counting our sin against us. I suspect that, if (and that's a rather large "if") God keeps tallys what we do, God only chooses to keep tally of the good stuff. Sin is death, and God has no truck with death.

If god had to not count against man the sin of trampling on his son, then god has no love for his son.

maybe if we began treating righteousness with more conscientiousness as we do sin, then righteousness would become more ingrained in us than sin.

God is righteous and all that he does is right. He never act contrary to his principles. And not only his forgivenes of sin part of what he did, but so is his wrath.

When God dwells on sin, it looks as though God's afraid of sin.

God is not afraid of sin, neither is he afraid to remove the man who does it.

Jesus exchanged his glory for the creature...

Jesus did not exhange his glory for the creature. He did not deam the creature or creation to be of more value and worth than god.

So... the crucifixion is meaningless.

To you yes it seems it is.

The glory of any Father is his progeny.

The glory of god is revealed and demonstrated in his ability to unconditionally elect a people for himself that will show forth his glory on this earth and be part of his glory for eternity. But no man that undermines and devalues the glory of god, can ever have a share in his glory. God would be devalue himself that way.

There is only one sacrifice -- once for all.

There is no sacrifice for sin ever again. Correct. There is only the reaping what you have sowed if you trample on the works of jesus, and undermined the glory of god.

Why do you think Jesus called for repentance?

Whomever god calls (elects) he justifies, whoever he justifies he grants repentance to.

sojourner

Of course god is mightier than sin. But his glory and love for his son far exceeds anything that we can try to undermine.
So is God's love for humanity.
If you think that God should reward men who trample on jesus and exhange his glory you are talking and speaking against the Holy god.
Salvation isn't a rewards-based proposition. That would make it something that we attain, rather than something that is an undeserved gift.
If god had to not count against man the sin of trampling on his son, then god has no love for his son.
You appear to forget that God's Son was fully one of us. You seem to want to pit "us" against "them." What you appear to fail to understand is that there is no "us" vs. "them." It's not a war. It's a family. With God as its head. We are not criminals sitting under a hot lamp, with God playing the part of "bad cop" and Jesus playing the part of "good cop." We are created good, in the image of God. We are fearfully and wonderfully made. Why would we need to find ourselves in the heavenly police station, being fingerprinted like common criminals?
God is righteous and all that he does is right. He never act contrary to his principles. And not only his forgivenes of sin part of what he did, but so is his wrath.
Forgiveness is a principle. Wrath is not.
God is not afraid of sin, neither is he afraid to remove the man who does it.
In other words, the crucifixion, designed to eradicate sin, was ineffective. So God ends up not only hating the sin, but hating the sinner, as well?
Jesus did not exhange his glory for the creature.
Christ died for us -- not for his own glory.
He did not deam the creature or creation to be of more value and worth than god.
Neither did he regard his Divinity a thing to be exploited. But he humbled himself, becoming one of us.
To you yes it seems it is.
I didn't say that. You said it -- in so many words. I just clarified what you said.
If (as you seem to think) the crucifixion was to save us from sin, but many of us will still end up destroyed, then that act means nothing.

If, as I believe, the crucifixion was a brutal act of terrorism perpetrated upon Jesus by the Romans, the crucifixion, itself is meaningless. it is only the willing participation -- the self-sacrifice -- of God that brings any meaning to it.
The glory of god is revealed and demonstrated in his ability to unconditionally elect a people for himself that will show forth his glory on this earth and be part of his glory for eternity.
But you say that God is conditional in that election.
You're talking out of both sides of your mouth.
But no man that undermines and devalues the glory of god, can ever have a share in his glory.
All people devalue God through sin. That's why grace is necessary. So that all may have a share in God's glory.
God would be devalue himself that way.
God's value, as a good and merciful God, has only as much value as God's ability and willingness to be good and merciful. Creating some for, and consigning some to, a lake of fire devalues God.
There is only the reaping what you have sowed if you trample on the works of jesus, and undermined the glory of god.
That's horse-and-buggy, old covenant thinking. We're under a new covenant, in which the consequences of our sin are, as you claim, "paid for" on the cross... if the work on the cross were actually effective.

Happily, the new covenant puts us in harmony with God by placing us in Christ. All of us.
Whomever god calls (elects) he justifies, whoever he justifies he grants repentance to.
A universal God -- that is, a God of humanity -- calls all humanity.

Heneni

Miss Independent
Salvation isn't a rewards-based proposition. That would make it something that we attain, rather than something that is an undeserved gift.

It is an undeseved gift, whom god unconditionally gives to his elect.

You appear to forget that God's Son was fully one of us. You seem to want to pit "us" against "them." What you appear to fail to understand is that there is no "us" vs. "them." It's not a war. It's a family. With God as its head. We are not criminals sitting under a hot lamp, with God playing the part of "bad cop" and Jesus playing the part of "good cop." We are created good, in the image of God. We are fearfully and wonderfully made. Why would we need to find ourselves in the heavenly police station, being fingerprinted like common criminals?

God was one of us so that he can sympathize with our weaknesses. If that was all he was here for then he didnt have to die on the cross and simply remained alive to keep on sympathizing.

Forgiveness is a principle. Wrath is not.

Forgiveness is extended to someone so is wrath. Its an ACT and both of them is within gods character to do.

In other words, the crucifixion, designed to eradicate sin, was ineffective. So God ends up not only hating the sin, but hating the sinner, as well?

Apparently you seem to forget that unbelief is rampant. If the death of jesus eradicated unbelief then there would never be the need to say 'believe in the lord jesus and you will be saved'. It never says, jesus will believe for you.

Christ died for us -- not for his own glory.

Incorrect. God did not die FOR us, it would imply that we had merit for him to do it, god died for the glory of his name. Jesus didnt die for us as much as he died for the glory of the father:

John 12:27
27"Now my heart is troubled, and what shall I say? `Father, save me from this hour'? No, it was for this very reason I came to this hour. 28Father, glorify your name!"

The reason chirst endure the cross, as clearly shown by scripture is....TO GLORIFY THE NAME OF THE FATHER. We tap into all that jesus did for his father's glory's sake.

Neither did he regard his Divinity a thing to be exploited. But he humbled himself, becoming one of us.

He humbled himself in order to become a man. But he never ever would presume anybody to trample on god.

I didn't say that. You said it -- in so many words. I just clarified what you said.
If (as you seem to think) the crucifixion was to save us from sin, but many of us will still end up destroyed, then that act means nothing.

I dont think you know what I have said at all. All this mulitquoting is getting your head mixed up

If, as I believe, the crucifixion was a brutal act of terrorism perpetrated upon Jesus by the Romans, the crucifixion, itself is meaningless. it is only the willing participation -- the self-sacrifice -- of God that brings any meaning to it.

Then you deny god the opportunity to have the glory for what jesus did on the cross, you are stripping god of his glory by saying he was a victim of man. You are saying that god was defeated by men. You are indeed talking against the glory of god.

But you say that God is conditional in that election.
You're talking out of both sides of your mouth.

Im not you are listening with 1/2 an ear. I said that god unconditionally elects. That means he elects, HOW? Unconditionally. He does not elect because we deserved it, he elects us due to no reason or worth of our own.

You interpret gods unconditional love to mean he has no freedom to elect. And im saying you are wrong. God can even be unconditional in electing unconditionally.

All people devalue God through sin. That's why grace is necessary. So that all may have a share in God's glory.

And yet gods grace like his gift of salvation is a gift which he unconditionally gives to his elect so that no man can boast. Neither is god required or boxed in by someone to force him to extend or give his gift to everybody. Those to whom he predestined to give the gift, he chose, he then called the ones he chose, and he then justified them, and then he saved them.

God's value, as a good and merciful God, has only as much value as God's ability and willingness to be good and merciful. Creating some for, and consigning some to, a lake of fire devalues God.

Gods glory is his own to reveal in which ever way he chooses. God does not have to extend his mercy or his grace or his wrath to anybody we think he should. God is sovereing and entirely free to extend his grace and mercy to whomever he chooses.

That's horse-and-buggy, old covenant thinking. We're under a new covenant, in which the consequences of our sin are, as you claim, "paid for" on the cross... if the work on the cross were actually effective.

And if you have the time, please enlighten me to the what the OLD covenant for the gentiles were exactly.

Happily, the new covenant puts us in harmony with God by placing us in Christ. All of us.

Lovely....the NEW covenant for the gentiles must mean an old covenant for the gentiles. Where is that in the bible, id love to know.

A
universal God -- that is, a God of humanity -- calls all humanity

A universal god can choose to send some to the lake of fire for exactly the same reason he could choose to save others.

God is sovereing. Why will you the creature cross question god and ask him, 'why have you made me such''

When the pharisess did not believe in jesus he stripped them of their self-opinionated pride and told them.. ''you dont believe because you are not one of my sheep''

Believe is dependant on being a sheep. And the bible talks about wolves as well. Not that you read the bible...but just incase you get a chance.

ayani

who's hanging anyone? and who's hating anyone?

i certainly don't seek to hang gay men and women- i was one, myself.

and i know that there's nothing great, good, or spectacular about me. i'm different and new and alive because of Him, not because of myself. and i'm aware now of what it means to live for God and reject sin not because i'm righteous or smart, but because God in His grace lead me to the point where faith and grace was possible.

i used to curse Christians, and pray for them to realize how stupid and wrong they were, and cease worshiping Jesus. quite honestly, i was a jerk, and rude and ungracious by anyone's standards. but a moment of doubt, a question, and God's answer truly changed that. i'm not who i was, and i never will be.

Christians are different. we've got a different outlook on life, self, sin, God, the Bible, and of course, the Savior. we shouldn't use that difference to hate on others, or be high and mighty. rather, like Christ, use our grace-given new life in Him to serve, love, pray, sow seeds, and preach the Good News.

and seeing others as God sees them, realizing that before our lives were changed by Jesus, that we were also in and of the world, and strangers to God. loving them and serving them as ourselves, because apart from Christ, there's no difference between a person who is dead in sin, and alive in Christ.

and thanking Jesus every day for our life in Him, and for His love, and grace.

Again, isn't it wonderful to circle the wagons around the sweet, baby Jesus and not let anyone soil him!

What does the cross mean for those in the community that we insist on hanging? Such as homosexuals and other people whom we choose to exclude? Does the cross have meaning for them? What do you think it might be? A meaning of salvation, or a meaning of condemnation?

How wonderful that we've been chosen! "Thank you, God, that I am not like that sinner! I tithe. I pray. I follow the law."

And yet Jesus applauds the sinner who prays, "I am not the elect. I am not worthy -- but only say the word, and I will be healed." (Hint: the "word" was "Jesus" and it has been spoken. The outcasts have been healed.)

Zhakir

Peace&Tolerance
Why non is replying? Is it because it shows that the Bible is totally aganist this salvation idology and jesus (pbuh) preaches that the path to salvation was through keeping the commandments?. God according to the Bible doesn't agree with salvation.
Ezekiel 18:20
"The soul who sins is the one who will die. The son will not share the guilt of the father, nor will the father share the guilt of the son. The righteousness of the righteous man will be credited to him, and the wickedness of the wicked will be charged against him."
Many condradicting views of christians here:

Zhakir

Peace&Tolerance
The very same post #1 and what i said regarding salvation apply for "Muslims" who clame that prophet Muhammad is thier saviour as the hadith teaches.

JMorris

Democratic Socialist
Though the Bible states that athiest and porn stars etc. will go to Hell .

atheist porn stars must go to Super Hell

41liM3kbPyL._SL500_AA240_.jpg