• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Difference between Christian St. John the Baptist and Islamic Yahya?

Rainbow Mage

Lib Democrat/Agnostic/Epicurean-ish/Buddhist-ish
I always wanted to start a thread about this. LOL. St. John the Baptist is the forerunner of Jesus in Christian view, and the last of the prophets, while in Islamic view John the Baptist, whom they call Yahya, is a prophet in his own right, and his father Zechariah is also considered to have been a prophet. There is no reference to this in the NT. The NT says Zechariah doubted God concerning John's birth, so he was made unable to speak until the child was born. So let's discuss the similarities and differences between John the Baptist in Christianity and Islam.

fallingblood

Agnostic Theist
I think one also has to through in the reference found in Josephus. I believe if one really wants to understand who John was, that reference does become very important.

Rainbow Mage

Lib Democrat/Agnostic/Epicurean-ish/Buddhist-ish
The NT speaks of two Zechariahs. Zechariah father of John, and Zechariah the Jewish prophet.

Cordoba

The NT says Zechariah doubted God concerning John's birth, so he was made unable to speak until the child was born. So let's discuss the similarities and differences between John the Baptist in Christianity and Islam.

Prophet Zakariyah asked God for a son, and when God informed him that his prayer was answered he asked how, as his wife was barren and he had reached old age.

God responded that it was easy, (as God says "Be" and it is), and Prophet Zakariyah asked for a sign from God, and God told him he would be unable to speak for three days. He commanded him and his people to exalt God, and they did, and John (Yahya) was later born, and became God's Prophet

As John, peace be upon him, was the cousin of Jesus, peace be upon him, his unusual birth (barren mother and elderly father) was an introduction from God for the birth of Jesus, which later took place, from a mother without a father

God says "Be" and it is ...

I always wanted to start a thread about this. LOL. St. John the Baptist is the forerunner of Jesus in Christian view, and the last of the prophets, while in Islamic view John the Baptist, whom they call Yahya, is a prophet in his own right, and his father Zechariah is also considered to have been a prophet. There is no reference to this in the NT. The NT says Zechariah doubted God concerning John's birth, so he was made unable to speak until the child was born. So let's discuss the similarities and differences between John the Baptist in Christianity and Islam.

John the baptizer was the last prophet of the Old Testament period. Until Jesus Christ rose again from His death by Crucifixion the period of time was still OT times. The NT times rolled in only after the resurrection of Jesus Christ because it was the resurrection that changed the "set-up" of the OT. Had Christ not resurrected from death, we would be still living under the OT Laws of "tooth for a tooth, eye for an eye" which the Koran dictates even up to this day.

After John's prophethood, Jesus Christ was known as a prophet of the Jews. After Jesus came a lot of other prophets. In fact every person who wrote the Holy Scriptures of the New Testament was a prophet. Every prophet taught the Words of the God of Jesus Christ and also prophesied (predicted future events). Thus a prophet spoke/wrote the Words of the Creator God of the Holy Bible.
Btw, how did prophet Mohammed come to know about prophet John or any other prophet of the Bible including Jesus Christ,? The answer is that prophet Mohammed learned about the contents of the Bible by associating with the Jews and Christians of the Middle East. Mohammed, being illiterate could not have read the Bible even if it was available in Arabic. But we know that the Bible of Mohammed's time was available only in Hebrew , Greek and Cyriac languages and to top that , only the synagogues and churches had a few copies because they were extremely expensive to own, all being hand-written.

About this statement: We are shaped by our thoughts; we become what we think. When the mind is pure, joy follows like a shadow that never leaves.- Buddha

Unfortunately the human mind is never pure. Budha is supposed to have attained his goal of destroying his soul. What PROOF is there that he did it? None whatsoever? Right or wrong? Again, Budha was supposed to have had 550 previous births. What proof is there he had them? None, except his words.

Btw, the Holy Bible teaches that the Soul of mankind is indestructible. Why? Because it is put in the human body by Infinite, Eternal, Almighty God who is Himself Indestructible. And He is Spirit 100%.

We are shaped by our thoughts; we become what we think. When the mind is pure, joy follows like a shadow that never leaves.- Buddha

In that case I will from now on think that I am a flying car. You know why? Because I don't have to get stuck in traffic for hours on end when coming back from work in the city centre. What a stupid idea...don't you think?
And Btw, the human mind is NEVER pure and NEVER could get pure! I guess Budha didn't know that!