• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Differences Between Judaism and Islam?

Pastek

Sunni muslim
Salam/Peace..
Why not ask Quran to tell which one is closer to Islam and Muslims?

However, I must note that, Quran does not praise or condemn any nation wholly.. Only praises or condemns a select group of people among these faiths.. like the verse I quoted above, the QISSESEEN (men devoted to learning. ie Priests).. ROHBAN (Roohaniyon.. those who renounce the world.. ie Monks) are praised.. So, on the basis of Islam, these and other things are criterias for being close to Muslims.. not what we (muslims) deduce in our comparison.

But the verse that you quoted was about the people, not about the religion.

So the Quran is not saying that Christianity is closer to Islam than Judaism, but that christians are closer to muslims.

Priest Nadim Nassar mentioned what Quran says about Christians.. And, interestingly because he speaks Arabic and analyzed the people of the book that time, he mentioned, there are two definitions in Quran for Christians.. One is "Nasraani" (can mean both 1- Related to Nazereth, 2- Helpers of Jesus, related to apostles) and the other is "Masihi" (related to Messiah).

Anyway.. I don't know much about the terms for Judaism and Jews in Quran.. But, I read two different terms.. "Bani Israil" (Children of Israel/Jacob) and "Yahoodi" (Related to Judah).. So, one needs to study all this to make a judgement..
In arabic the word Yahoodi, is close to "Hooda" (Guidance), and "Yahdi" (To guide).

2.62 Indeed, those who believed and those who were Jews
2.62 Ina ladhina amanoo wa ladhina hadoo

Maybe someone could confirm if it's correct.

F0uad

So the Quran is not saying that Christianity is closer to Islam than Judaism, but that christians are closer to muslims.

In arabic the word Yahoodi, is close to "Hooda" (Guidance), and "Yahdi" (To guide).

Well the original meaning as i understood it it meant "scholarly ones, smart people and so forth"

Saggio

Actually it was abrogated by the Songs of David(pbuh) if there would be any scripture differences and the Injil(Gospel) given to Jesus(pbuh).

Its not really abrogation in a sense that God changed hes mind but rather that civilizations evolved in time for example some commandments can't be fulfilled in this time due the destruction of the temple. However i can point out that Judaism is more of a Jewish religion and Islam is less a Arabic religion.

There are verses in the Quran that mention that Jesus adhered to the Torah, Jesus came after David so how could the Psalms of David have abrogated the Torah?

Matemkar

Okay.. Agreed..

yes, the root of the name reciprocal to Judah, Yahooda, in Arabic is Huda/Hooda (guide.. in Persian, Kurdish etc. also it is used for God.. and also the name of Imam Mahdi is also from the same root.. meaning Guide)

And, I agree it may also mean the ones were given guidance..
there are quite many verses upon the grace of God on Children of Israel.. and one of them is:

[SIZE=-1]"..Those were some of the prophets on whom Allah did bestow His Grace,- of the posterity of Adam, and of those who We carried (in the Ark) with Noah, and of the posterity of Abraham and Israel of those whom We guided (yahdi) and chose. Whenever the Signs of (Allah) Most Gracious were rehearsed to them, they would fall down in prostrate adoration and in tears.[/SIZE]."

and, the suffix "-i" in Arabic mentions relation (ie. by bloodline.. adherence.. etc.).. So, keeping in mind that no other tribe had so many divine guides, "yahoodi" may also mean those who are related to the guides.. but, the accepted definition is this:

Yahoda - Wiki - Arabic

that the religion of Judaism ( اليهودية ) was named after Judah; ( يهودا ).. interestingly not Joseph, or other sons of Jacob..

Anyway.. About Quran confirming the old scriptures, and Prophets confirming their predecessors, I believe it does not mean adhering to the old in every aspect.. One should focus on the divine teacher of his time.. There are certain basic teachings in Divine Religion that does not change.. However, rules and regulations do.. that's why the jurisprudance of Abrahamic Religions differ.. In Islam religious laws (sharia) changed according to the necessities of time.. See what God says about it in Quran:

"...It was We who revealed the law (to Moses): therein was guidance and light. By its standard have been judged the Jews, by the prophets who bowed to God's will, by the rabbis and the doctors of law: for to them was entrusted the protection of God's book, and they were witnesses thereto .../... And We prescribed to them in it that life is for life, and eye for eye, and nose for nose, and ear for ear, and tooth for tooth, and (that there is) reprisal in wounds; but he who foregoes it, it shall be an expiation for him; and whoever did not judge by what God revealed, those are they that are the unjust. And in their footsteps We sent Jesus the son of Mary, confirming the Law that had come before him: We sent him the Gospel: therein was guidance and light, and confirmation of the Law that had come before him: a guidance and an admonition to those who fear Allah. Let the people of the Gospel judge by what God hath revealed therein. If any do fail to judge by (the light of) what God hath revealed, they are (no better than) those who rebel. To thee We sent the Scripture (Quran) in truth, confirming the scripture that came before it, and guarding it in safety: so judge between them by what Allah hath revealed, and follow not their desires, diverging from the Truth that hath come to thee. To each among you have we prescribed Sharia (a law) and Minhaaj (an open way). If Allah had so willed, He would have made you a single people, but (His plan is) to test you in what He hath given you: so strive as in a race in all virtues. The goal of you all is to God..." Quran 5:44-49

lol. I don't suggest religious pluralism here.. Please see this verse also:

"When Allah made the covenant with the Prophets, He said. 'Here are the Scripture and the wisdom which I have given you. Later a Prophet will come to you confirming what you possess. You shall believe in Him and you shall help him. He then said: 'Do you agree to this and take the responsibility I placed on you?' They answered: 'We agree." He said: 'Then bear witness and I will bear witness with you." (Quran; 3:81)

Shouldn't they respect and believe the prophets (ie, Jesus, Muhammad..) confirming what they already possessed? Thanks..

Last edited:

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
This strikes me as a rather strange statement: if one were to presume that Jesus "didn't actually claim some of the things his later followers attribute to him," that might well include the presumption that he never claimed to be a messiah and, if so, counting him as a "failed messiah" makes about as much sense as counting him as a failed wide receiver.
A person can, it seems to me, be a failed messiah without ever having claimed the messianic mantle explicitly.
Of course ...
... in precisely the same way that I am a failed wide receiver.​

F0uad

There are verses in the Quran that mention that Jesus adhered to the Torah, Jesus came after David so how could the Psalms of David have abrogated the Torah?
Like i said if there were any scriptural differences.. if there were none so be it.
Jesus(pbuh) himself abrogated some of them and i recommend to read all the verses regarding the topic.