• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

dinosaurs or adam and eve?

Deut 13:1

Katzpur said:
Don't you mean ignorant or dishonest or in opposition to what you personally believe? Aren't the three synonymous?
No, it would be similar to me saying the bible promotes homosexual sex, you're reading and re-interpreting the Hebrew to fit your goals. The only counter argument I've read is Psalm 90:4

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
Binyamin said:
No, it would be similar to me saying the bible promotes homosexual sex, you're reading and re-interpreting the Hebrew to fit your goals. The only counter argument I've read is Psalm 90:4
So how old do you personally believe the earth is Binyamin?

I fail to see how believing that the Bible is God's word, but recognizing that not every word in it is to be taken literally makes a person either ignorant or dishonest.

Aqualung

Tasty
Jayhawker Soule said:
I get so tired of this type of self-serving nonsense.

Genesis
  1. IN THE beginning G-d created the heaven and the earth.
  2. Now the earth was unformed and void, and darkness was upon the face of the deep; and the spirit of G-d hovered over the face of the waters.
  3. And G-d said: 'Let there be light.' And there was light.
  4. And G-d saw the light, that it was good; and G-d divided the light from the darkness.
  5. And G-d called the light Day, and the darkness He called Night. And there was evening and there was morning, one day.
Pretending that Gen 1:5 meant anything other than a twenty-four hour period is ignorant or dishonest.
How could it possibly be a twenty-four hour period? The only way we know when twenty fours are up is because the sun sets and then rises again. The sun hadn't been created then. The evening and the morning could have been caused by any light source, and that light source doesn't necessarily come around after an evening and a morning.

linwood

Aqualung said:
How could it possibly be a twenty-four hour period? The only way we know when twenty fours are up is because the sun sets and then rises again. The sun hadn't been created then. The evening and the morning could have been caused by any light source, and that light source doesn't necessarily come around after an evening and a morning.
Would you agree that by the 4th day he had defined a 24 hour day?

Gen 1:16And God made two great lights; the greater light to rule the day, and the lesser light to rule the night: [he made] the stars also.
Gen 1:17And God set them in the firmament of the heaven to give light upon the earth,
Gen 1:18And to rule over the day and over the night, and to divide the light from the darkness: and God saw that [it was] good.
Gen 1:19
And the evening and the morning were the fourth day.

I don`t know why he`d define a day as 24 hours after the third day but defined it as thousands of years for the 1st 2nd & 3rd days.
But he`s God.
I suppose he can do what he wants.
;)

s2a

Heretic and part-time (skinny) Santa impersonator
linwood said:

Gen 1:16And God made two great lights; the greater light to rule the day, and the lesser light to rule the night: [he made] the stars also.
Gen 1:17And God set them in the firmament of the heaven to give light upon the earth,
Gen 1:18And to rule over the day and over the night, and to divide the light from the darkness: and God saw that [it was] good.
Gen 1:19
And the evening and the morning were the fourth day.

I don`t know why he`d define a day as 24 hours after the third day but defined it as thousands of years for the 1st 2nd & 3rd days.
But he`s God.
;)

"firmament

from the Vulgate firmamentum, which is used as the translation of the Hebrew
_raki'a_. This word means simply "expansion." It denotes the space or expanse
like an arch appearing immediately above us. They who rendered _raki'a_ by
firmamentum regarded it as a solid body. The language of Scripture is not
scientific but popular, and hence we read of the sun rising and setting, and
also here the use of this particular word. It is plain that it was used to
denote solidity as well as expansion. It formed a division between the waters
above and the waters below (Gen. 1:7). The _raki'a_ supported the upper
reservoir (Ps. 148:4). It was the support also of the heavenly bodies (Gen.
1:14), and is spoken of as having "windows" and "doors" (Gen. 7:11; Isa. 24:18;
Mal. 3:10) through which the rain and snow might descend."
Source: Easton's 1897 Bible Dictionary

Maybe the "greater light to rule the day" was just klieg lighting or a bazillion watt bright work light nailed to the firmament for temporary use along with those strands of "star mini-lites". Or maybe the sun kept falling through one of those firmament trap-doors, and He had to keep starting all over again. Ya never know...

Merlin

Binyamin said:
There is one perspective... :)
What would be the point of such deceit? There is nothing wrong with the world being 4 billion years old, and equally there would have been nothing wrong if the world was 6000 years old.

If God created the world 6000 years ago, but then buried all of these dinosaur bones and carbon dated material to fool us into thinking it was much older, it is a fairly elaborate hoax for no purpose.

Merlin

Aqualung said:
If the sun hadn't been created, what were we spinning around the first few days?

Merlin

Katzpur said:
I fail to see how believing that the Bible is God's word, but recognizing that not every word in it is to be taken literally makes a person either ignorant or dishonest.
I agree with you completely. However, it is a slippery slope picking and choosing what you believe.

The good thing from that system is that it allows these websites to exist. If we didn't all have our own ideas, there would be nothing to debate.

Aqualung

Tasty
linwood said:

Gen 1:19And the evening and the morning were the fourth day.

But he`s God.
;)
No, but at least on the fourth day he had the sun. He may not have set the earth in motion yet, or it could have been spinning at a much slower or faster speed than it is now.

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
painted wolf said:
Steve- my people for one, have a history greater than 6,000 years old. :D
Not only that, but Pah's getting on a bit.....why not ask him ? he was there......:biglaugh:

Dentonz

gayvin said:
which did god create 1st?
dinosaurs or adam and eve?

history tells us with proof that dinosaurs were around 64 million years b4 humans were around

but the bible tells us that adam and eve were created on the 6th day (or the 7th..i forgot)

i asked my cousin this question...and being the hardcore christian that she is..she believes that there were no such things as dinosaurs

than i asked my mom...she tells me long time ago..in gods eye..one day could have been a million years today..it makes sense..but i just wanted to hear something new from other people..so im asking it here
Dude if you look at any of my other posts, you can see that I'm a pretty hardcore Christian myself. And it's just crazy for someone to say that dinosaurs didn't exist.
You have to understand, God is not bound by time. 7 days could have been 7 billion years. All the creatures of the earth were created before man. Time was created for mankind to have purpose.

Katzpur said:
So how old do you personally believe the earth is Binyamin?

Older then 5766. :) Who really cares that much? There are more important things then figuring out this question.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
Binyamin said:
Older then 5766. :) Who really cares that much? There are more important things then figuring out this question.
Well, I can go along with both of those statements.

Merlin

Binyamin said:
I don't really think it's a question of how old the world is. It is a question of whether the Bible is literally word for word true, and this is one easily debatable topic on that subject.

Merlin said:
I don't really think it's a question of how old the world is. It is a question of whether the Bible is literally word for word true, and this is one easily debatable topic on that subject.
I don't care if you consider the bible word-for-word, I don't even care what you do with the bible, so again, who cares how old the world is? Why must you try and impose your view on me? Just live and let live. :)

Merlin

Binyamin said:
I don't care if you consider the bible word-for-word, I don't even care what you do with the bible, so again, who cares how old the world is? Why must you try and impose your view on me? Just live and let live. :)
I was not trying to impose any views on anybody. This is a debating forum, I was trying to debate things. If you have fixed views which you are not prepared to discuss, then seems rather a waste of time being a member of this excellent forum.

Merlin

Steve said:
No instead i would reply, "what about all the vast scientific evidence the world is not 4.5 billion years old"
I would love to debate that, unless you are just going to quote Scriptures as scientific evidence

Steve

Merlin said:
I would love to debate that, unless you are just going to quote Scriptures as scientific evidence
no prob,
start a thread "is the world really about 4.5 billion years old" ill be in it.