• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Divine Justice

I don't believe in an eternal hell. It is not compatible with Divine justice in my mind. This life is too short to judge eternity on.

My understanding of God's punishment of the wicked (based on many Bible scriptures) is eternal death, not eternal hellfire.

Genesis 3:3 "But God has said about the fruit of the tree that is in the middle of the garden, 'you must not eat from it, no, you must not touch it; otherwise you will die. (God didn't say go to hell).

John 3:16 "For God loved the world so much, that he gave his only-begotten Son, so that everyone exercising faith in him might not be destroyed but have everlasting life." (He says destroyed, not tortured in hellfire)

Romans 6:23 "for the wages sin pays is death..." (Not Hellfire)

There are many more one can cite.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
My understanding of God's punishment of the wicked (based on many Bible scriptures) is eternal death, not eternal hellfire.

There are many more one can cite.

Precisely. I absolutely agree with you, and you used the right word, that is spiritual death. Hell is not a physical place so there is no fire or other Dantesque stuff.
Hellfire is just a metaphor: when you are far from God, you are spiritually dead, and you are imprisoned in your own hatred and guilt. You will not suffer any physical pain, because it's not a punishment. You will not get more than what you've given to the others. It's just eternal remorse and eternal anger for being far from God.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
That type of thinking doesn't come from the example of Jesus' attitude when he was being nailed to the cross. He forgave.

Yes, he forgave. But I wish my forgiveness or Jesus' forgiveness could save all the people from damnation. It doesn't depend on God's will.

It's people who damn themselves by doing evil, because they will be imprisoned in all their evil actions forever. Well...if they didn't want to end up like that, why did they hurt the others then? Who forced them?

Sleeppy

Fatalist. Christian. Pacifist.
Yes, he forgave. But I wish my forgiveness or Jesus' forgiveness could save all the people from damnation. It doesn't depend on God's will.

It's people who damn themselves by doing evil, because they will be imprisoned in all their evil actions forever. Well...if they didn't want to end up like that, why did they hurt the others then? Who forced them?

You're assuming self-righteousness.

Luke 3
`A voice of one crying in the wilderness, Prepare ye the way of the Lord, straight make ye His paths; every valley shall be filled, and every mountain and hill shall be made low, and the crooked shall become straightness, and the rough become smooth ways; and all flesh shall see the salvation of God.'

God makes people righteous, not themselves.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
You're assuming self-righteousness.

Precisely. I am Pelagian, so therefore all my beliefs are based upon self-righteousness.

What I meant is this: if you hurt the others, and you wanna avoid Hell, it's up to you to 1) repent, 2) to change life and 3) to make reparation.
Only by these three steps you can hope for salvation. God has nothing to do with those three steps.

Last edited:

Sleeppy

Fatalist. Christian. Pacifist.
Precisely. I am Pelagian, so therefore all my beliefs are based upon self-righteousness.

What I meant is this: if you hurt the others, and you wanna avoid Hell, it's up to you to 1) repent, 2) to change life and 3) to make reparation.
Only by these three steps you can hope for salvation. God has nothing to do with those three steps.

I don't want to argue with you or discourage you, because you have been taught these things by the ignorant, who are also innocent- so I'll leave it at this: You've dishonored the Father, and exalted yourself alongside Him as an idol. But He has willed both honor and dishonor; Jesus and Judas were both necessary.

John 6
No one is able to come unto me, if the Father who sent me may not draw him, and I will raise him up in the last day; it is having been written in the prophets, And they shall be all taught of God; every one therefore who heard from the Father, and learned, cometh to me; not that any one hath seen the Father, except he who is from God, he hath seen the Father.

1 Peter 5
And the God of all grace, who did call you to His age-during glory in Christ Jesus, having suffered a little, Himself makes you perfect; establishing, strengthening, and settling [all flesh]; to Him the glory, and the power -- to the ages and the ages! Amen.

The Sum of Awe

Brought to you by the moment that spacetime began.
Can it really be our fault though? God created everything as it is (according to popular Christian belief), that includes the existence of a passageway to hell, regardless of whether we are the ones who crawl into it or what puts us there.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
Can it really be our fault though? God created everything as it is (according to popular Christian belief), that includes the existence of a passageway to hell, regardless of whether we are the ones who crawl into it or what puts us there.

God is Love. He cannot conceive the idea of suffering. He cannot conceive the idea of hatred or evil. So when a person hurts another person, God is not able to understand this thing. He can't even comment it.
So God did not create Hell. He created free will, without knowing that free will would imply that men can do evil things too, besides good things.

When he created free will, God decided to leave men alone. And so men they decide their life and their afterlife.
If men decide to do evil and to be far from God, how can God save them?
He couldn't even if he wanted to. And he certainly wants to save everyone.

The Sum of Awe

Brought to you by the moment that spacetime began.
God is Love. He cannot conceive the idea of suffering. He cannot conceive the idea of hatred or evil. So when a person hurts another person, God is not able to understand this thing. He can't even comment it.
So God did not create Hell. He created free will, without knowing that free will would imply that men can do evil things too, besides good things.

When he created free will, God decided to leave men alone. And so men they decide their life and their afterlife.
If men decide to do evil and to be far from God, how can God save them?
He couldn't even if he wanted to. And he certainly wants to save everyone.

You do understand that many of your beliefs, including this one, pretty much make the Bible as useful as if it were soaked in water. While this is fine and I respect your beliefs, I am just curious why you consider yourself a Christian if many of your beliefs do not adhere to the Bible?

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
I think Justice is a very subjective term. As is Divinity.

For example God smiting those who worshipped the Golden Calf might be considered 'Justice'. I call it 'Murder'.

I concurr. Justice is equilibrium limited for a givin groups perspective. One persons justice is anothers crime. We consistently see it all the time.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
You do understand that many of your beliefs, including this one, pretty much make the Bible as useful as if it were soaked in water. While this is fine and I respect your beliefs, I am just curious why you consider yourself a Christian if many of your beliefs do not adhere to the Bible?

Good question. I think that a person is Christian when they deeply believe in the motto "Love thy neighbor as much as thyself".
I even dare say that you don't have to believe necessarily in God to be Christian. Even if I do. As for the Bible thing: yes, the Bible is not that useful in my belief