• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Divorce rates for different faiths

rojse

RF Addict
Yeah, I wouldn't question the poll. I've been hearing data like this for the last five years.

I honestly want to blame our American culture more than anything else. Money and status are so important here (and the church does so little to discourage this). Family is a joke here in America compared with other countries. Our level of family devotion is hardly admirable. This statistic just shows me how static our churches are at addressing the real problems our country has, which explains the general hypocritical impression so many people get from them.

Our churches are so focused on personal faith, but not on the faith of Jesus, which was to love others, not yourself. And I can't think of anything more selfish than divorce.

If American culture is to blame, why is there so much difference between different religions of the same country?

Ozzie

Looking at the local paper today, I saw some surprising statistics regarding divorce, so I thought I would share.

It seems that the lower divorce rates are lower among atheists and agnostics than religious people. The highest rates of divorce are among conservative Protestants.

The research on the internet I found was completed by the Barna Research Group, a conservative Christian research group.

I found a few link on the web that discusses this:
Welcome to The Barna Group!
(official Barna Website)

Atheism & Divorce: Divorce Rates for Atheists are Among the Lowest in America - Why Do Conservative Christian Defenders of Marriage Get Divorced Most? (much conciser and clear, and, for the main part, mostly unbiased in reporting)

What do you all think?
I think the divorce rate is high where you live and where I live. It has little to do with religion. It has a lot to do with divorce being easily dispensable. Marriage is treated a bit like having quickie nuptials with Whitney in Vegas then sleeping in Paris at the reception.

rojse

RF Addict
I think the divorce rate is high where you live and where I live. It has little to do with religion. It has a lot to do with divorce being easily dispensable. Marriage is treated a bit like having quickie nuptials with Whitney in Vegas then sleeping in Paris at the reception.

If you look at the article I presented at the start, it was surveyed in America, across the forty-eight states.

So any change in the data cannot be explained by differences in country.

Smoke

Done here.
Does that mean that divorce is easier for Baptists to obtain than for other groups, or that Baptists are more likely to have a casual attitude toward marriage?

Aasimar

Atheist
Does that mean that divorce is easier for Baptists to obtain than for other groups, or that Baptists are more likely to have a casual attitude toward marriage?

Well I can only speak for my own experience here, but I graduated from Shelbyville Central High School in Shelbyville, TN. Which has a very high Baptist population. About 50% of the girls in my graduating class were pregnant, and a high number of them married already. I imagine this may account for some of it, there seemed to be a very high emphasis placed on getting married early, which may explain part of why that demographic is likely to divorce, due to lack of knowledge.

yossarian22

Resident Schizophrenic
If you look at the article I presented at the start, it was surveyed in America, across the forty-eight states.

So any change in the data cannot be explained by differences in country.
Yes it can, but it would take evidence to show it. There are major differences in culture across America. If a certain religion has a higher concentration in, say, Las Vegas, said group will have a higher divorce rate.
In order for this objection to carry weight, religions would need to be highly stratified.

johnmikeyc

UMMM no posts for a long moment....Buddha was not atheist or theist....not "I am" or am not.
Buddha did not seek dualism....nor answer questions which gave birth to dualism. namaste to all

Jose Fly

Fisker of men
Could it be that some religions have more pressure to get married before having sex? Perhaps they would take their time more and be less inclined to marry the wrong person if they were allowed to live together first.
I agree. If you think about it, it makes sense. If you're a young couple who are in love and want to have sex, if you're in a conservative Christian religion you either get married or stay abstinent for a while (or you sin). A lot of couples will get married. But the same couple that has no such religious requirements can go ahead and have sex without any pressure to marry. Then once that sexual attraction comes down from that initial frenzy, they can see each other as potential life partners and make a more sober choice about marriage.

drsatish

The Divorce Rate of My Faith
IS…The Lowest on Earth…
in fact LESS THAN a 2 digit percentage..
in fact LESS THAN Even an 1 digit percentage…
In FACT O.
(though I really DREAD the response from Polyhedral whether O could be a Percentage!)
Coz
I am Single.
Satish

McBell

Admiral Obvious
Looking at the local paper today, I saw some surprising statistics regarding divorce, so I thought I would share.

It seems that the lower divorce rates are lower among atheists and agnostics than religious people. The highest rates of divorce are among conservative Protestants.

The research on the internet I found was completed by the Barna Research Group, a conservative Christian research group.

I found a few link on the web that discusses this:
Welcome to The Barna Group!
(official Barna Website)

Atheism & Divorce: Divorce Rates for Atheists are Among the Lowest in America - Why Do Conservative Christian Defenders of Marriage Get Divorced Most? (much conciser and clear, and, for the main part, mostly unbiased in reporting)

What do you all think?
I think it shows that the alleged "Sanctity of Marriage" rally cry is nothing but a big bunch of bull ****.