• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

DNGAF about Atheist Problem of Evil?

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
Science is just one tool for studying myths.
Science doesn’t replace myths.

That’s not the role of science.
Science does not study myths it ignores them and let academic historians sort them out as belong to ancient cultures without science.
Science is respectful towards myths in my experience.
YEs, but it considers the ancient myths as myths without science.
(This has not been every culture’s experience, but then, I know next to nothing about most cultures of the world, and I’m constantly amazed at just how smart some people are that they know everything about everything.)
Double double sarcasm?!?!!?

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
Sorry lew, I'm new here.

Reality/the universe doesn't give a dam what we think.
Meh, no need to apologise. I was a bit taken aback by a couple of earlier posts (not yours) and yours was kinda the straw that broke the camel's back for me, so sorry if I jumped you.
And welcome to RF.

As for your comment about the universe, I agree. That was kinda the point I was trying to make to the original (theist) poster. He said
My problem with the argument of suffering against God is that ending God and Heaven would create a great deal of darkness, it’s just making a bad problem worse.

But whether we believe in God and Heaven doesn't impact on whether they exist (or at least, very few would think it does). So I don't understand the rationale here. Belief in God and Heaven should indicate that one thinks they exist...not that one thinks they are beneficial. Pascal's Wager didn't even go that far.

I mean, I get that people can act religiously because they think it is 'better' even without a strong belief in God, or similar. But this was stranger than that, to me.

Science does not study myths it ignores them and let academic historians sort them out as belong to ancient cultures without science.

YEs, but it considers the ancient myths as myths without science.

Double double sarcasm?!?!!?

How is your attempting to handcuff anthropologists and historians any different from how you seek to handcuff mathematicians by telling us that we don’t understand the alleged “purpose” of mathematics.

You are trying to impose your religion on science and mathematics, just like you seek to impose your religion on other cultures different from your own.

Anthropologists and historians don’t talk the way you do.

That’s cultural.

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
How is your attempting to handcuff anthropologists and historians any different from how you seek to handcuff mathematicians by telling us that we don’t understand the alleged “purpose” of mathematics.

You are trying to impose your religion on science and mathematics, just like you seek to impose your religion on other cultures different from your own.

Anthropologists and historians don’t talk the way you do.

That’s cultural.
It is not an attempted hand off .It is a fact of how science works. You are the on trying some vague hand off concerning mythology.

Mythology, including the evolved Biblical mythology, is indeed one of the many mythologies in the universal nature of ancient cultures without science, and NOT any sort of factual history. The study of ancient mythology in all cultures is studied by historians and applied sciences such as cultural anthropology, The mythology of ancient cultures is not true history as documented by matter of fact history of humanity. The Pentateuch ws compiled after 600 BCE and includes evolved ancient mythology form various sources. The Creation mythology and mythical accounts such as Noah's flood do not represent true history.

The Pentateuch itself is not considered an accurate account of history, Yes some persons and events have been determined as historical, but for the most part the Pentateuch is not considered actual history, but a collection of historical narratives from different sources.

Science, and the applied sciences, such as anthropology study and research the mythology of ancient cultures based on the facts that they do not represent true history. but indeed myths.

Not alleged as all. I have documented the nature and purpose of mathematics in previous references.

Last edited: