• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do atheists actually exist?

Bunyip

pro scapegoat
Sorry, but you are misrepresenting yourself. You are not 'as unreligious as it gets', in fact you are a believer and have a suite of religious beliefs.

What do you mean by being seperate from the religious paradigm? I ask because what you mean by being unreligious is clearly a mystery also.

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
Sorry, but you are misrepresenting yourself. You are not 'as unreligious as it gets', in fact you are a believer and have a suite of religious beliefs.

First off, you apparently don't know what 'religion means, secondly, you don't know what my beliefs are, as I tend not to argue them on the forums.

Perhaps you're a mind reader? What kind of pizza toppings did I get yesterday?

Bunyip

pro scapegoat
First off, you apparently don't know what 'religion means, secondly, you don't know what my beliefs are, as I tend not to argue them on the forums.

Perhaps you're a mind reader? What kind of pizza toppings did I get yesterday?

Oh I know perfectly well what religion means - I also know that you identify as a beleiver. For that I do not need to be a mind reader - I just needed to read your posts.

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
Oh I know perfectly well what religion means - I also know that you identify as a beleiver. For that I do not need to be a mind reader - I just needed to read your posts.

Believer doesn't mean religion, you really don't know these differences, but you argue as if you do.

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
You identified yourself as a monotheist on a poll here just today.

Monotheism is a religious apprehension.

Hmm you're stretching word definition here. I don't think that really is indicative to similarity with 'religion'. If you do that, then various other descriptive words pertaining to belief would become 'religion' in definition as well.

Bunyip

pro scapegoat
Hmm you're stretching word definition here. I don't think that really is indicative to similarity with 'religion'. If you do that, then various other descriptive words pertaining to belief would become 'religion' in definition as well.

Not at all, you are just being deceptive. You say that you are as unreligious as anybody, but identify as a monotheist. You are not unreligious, you are a monotheist.

It is semantic word play as a deflection, and it gets you nowhere.

Bunyip

pro scapegoat
Disciple.

Why not just look up 'religion' in your dictionary?

The first thing that pops up is that religion is defined as the belief in god, particularly a personal god. Monotheism is by definition religion.

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
Not at all, you are just being deceptive. You say that you are as unreligious as anybody, but identify as a monotheist. You are not unreligious, you are a monotheist.

It is semantic word play as a deflection, and it gets you nowhere.

There atheistic Jews, still considered to be practicing Judaism. (religion).
There are humanistic non-theistic Christians, they are still practicing Christianity. (religion).
Hmm might want to rethink your argument there.

also, 'monotheist', is not a specific religion, the word play is mostly coming from you.

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
Disciple.

Why not just look up 'religion' in your dictionary?

The first thing that pops up is that religion is defined as the belief in god, particularly a personal god. Monotheism is by definition religion.

There are atheistic Jews (Judaism), and humanistic non-theistic Christians, (Christianity). Both religions.

Bunyip

pro scapegoat
There atheistic Jews, still considered to be practicing Judaism. (religion).
There are humanistic non-theistic Christians, they are still practicing Christianity. (religion).
Hmm might want to rethink your argument there.

also, 'monotheist', is not a specific religion, the word play is mostly coming from you.

What argument? You claimed to be unreligious, but are a monotheist - monotheism is a religious apprehension.

If you are going to object, at least try to compose an objection that makes some form of sense.

You are not unreligious as you claimed, you are a monotheist.

Religion is the belief in such a being as a monotheistic god.

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
You are not unreligious as you claimed, you are a monotheist.

Religion is the belief in such a being as a monotheistic god.

We then end up with an extremely broad category, 'religion', because it also includes traditions, beliefs without theism, etc. So, sure I can say that Monotheism is my religion, and it makes sense in the broadest usage of the word, but conversely, one could say that they are a very religious atheist. As exampled by those instances I already gave.

Norrin-6-

That you don't go to church or identify as being part of a select faith does not make you unreligious. There are people who go to church who are even less religious than people on the outside. Some go for community, social functions. Some are closet atheists, etc. Some go because they are morning the death of a loved one, and will soon return to complete apathy about God.

Going through the motions of belonging to some organization isn't a good measuring stick to decide how religious someone is. A better question would be "do you PRAY to a personal god?" If the answer is yes, that is an indicator of religious practice and sincerity. And maybe you don't pray. The fact that you believe at all in a god or higher power is an indicator of religious belief. Maybe you don't believe that strongly.

While going to church and having communion cannot be separated from religion, it doesn't tell us as much about the level of devotion one has with the faith as what goes on in one's personal life regarding spiritual matters.

Maybe you're one of those "spiritual but not religious" types. I personally don't understand the distinction that is being made. Perhaps you could help me with that.

Bunyip

pro scapegoat
We then end up with an extremely broad category, 'religion', because it also includes traditions, beliefs without theism, etc. So, sure I can say that Monotheism is my religion, and it makes sense in the broadest usage of the word, but conversely, one could say that they are a very religious atheist. As exampled by those instances I already gave.

Well you could say that,but it would be a really silly thing to say. No I am not in any way religious. Unlike you, I really am unreligious.

You are a monotheist - that is a religious apprehension.
I am an atheist - that is not a religious apprehension.

Hilarious how you tried to broaden the definition of religion to include atheism, in the same paragraph that you accuse me of broadening the definition to include monotheism - which it already included.

Last edited:

Sir Doom

Cooler than most of you

In the context of religion(s). is there any definition relational there.

Are you asking if an atheist can belong to a religion? If so, then absolutely yes.

Are you asking if there are religious atheists? If so, again yes.

Are you asking if atheism is a religion? If so, no.

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
That you don't go to church or identify as being part of a select faith does not make you unreligious. There are people who go to church who are even less religious than people on the outside. Some go for community, social functions. Some are closet atheists, etc. Some go because they are morning the death of a loved one, and will soon return to complete apathy about God.

Going through the motions of belonging to some organization isn't a good measuring stick to decide how religious someone is. A better question would be "do you PRAY to a personal god?" If the answer is yes, that is an indicator of religious practice and sincerity. And maybe you don't pray. The fact that you believe at all in a god or higher power is an indicator of religious belief. Maybe you don't believe that strongly.

While going to church and having communion cannot be separated from religion, it doesn't tell us as much about the level of devotion one has with the faith as what goes on in one's personal life regarding spiritual matters.

Maybe you're one of those "spiritual but not religious" types. I personally don't understand the distinction that is being made. Perhaps you could help me with that.

We would be in agreement, but that is not how it is much of the time. As I've stated, there are religious Jews and Christians who are atheistic, so that measuring stick of personal belief is not really the accepted standard of religiousness.

Bunyip

pro scapegoat
We would be in agreement, but that is not how it is much of the time. As I've stated, there are religious Jews and Christians who are atheistic, so that measuring stick of personal belief is not really the accepted standard of religiousness.

How is that supposed to change the fact that monotheism IS a religious apprehension?

You accept that you are in fact religious, you are a monotheist?