• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do atheists actually exist?

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
Well you could say that,but it would be a really silly thing to say. No I am not in any way religious. Unlike you, I really am unreligious.

You are a monotheist - that is a religious apprehension.
I am an atheist - that is not a religious apprehension.

Hilarious how you tried to broaden the definition of religion to include atheism, in the same paragraph that you accuse me of broadening the definition to include monotheism - which it already included.

Uh, except there are many atheists in different religions. How that is any different seems like a bias or personal belief on your part.

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
How is that supposed to change the fact that monotheism IS a religious apprehension?

You accept that you are in fact religious, you are a monotheist?

If we are using the very broad usage, then of course I'm religious. However you then have to use that same broad definition elsewhere, and trust me, there are going to be a bunch of religious atheists if you do that.

Bunyip

pro scapegoat
Uh, except there are many atheists in different religions. How that is any different seems like a bias or personal belief on your part.

I am not using the term in the broad sense at all - monotheism is a religious apprehension under the common definition. Monotheism is a religious apprehension even under the narrow definition.

Sure, there are many atheists in different religions - atheism is still not a religion.

That there are atheists in different religions does not mean that atheism is a religion.

It also does not change the fact that monotheism is religious, and that therefore you are religious.

Norrin-6-

Aren't the observances of atheistic Jews more cultural than religious though? Do they really consider themselves to be religious in their personal thoughts? I really do not know the answer to this question.

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
Sure, there are many atheists in different religions - atheism is still not a religion.

That there are atheists in different religions does not mean that atheism is a religion.

It also does not change the fact that monotheism is religious, and that therefore you are religious.

Atheism can be religious as well.

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
Aren't the observances of atheistic Jews more cultural than religious though? Do they really consider themselves to be religious in their personal thoughts? I really do not know the answer to this question.

Nah, I've asked Jews this, they really are considered to be practicing the religion. (Judaism).

Bunyip

pro scapegoat
Atheism can be religious as well.

I keep asking you to think harder before you post. You are objecting to a definition of religion broad enough to include monotheism - which it includes anyway, and at the same time tryong to broaden the definition beyond any meaning to include atheism.

No atheism is not religious.

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
I keep asking you to think harder before you post. You are objecting to a definition of religion broad enough to include monotheism - which it includes anyway, and at the same time tryong to broaden the definition beyond any meaning to include atheism.

No atheism is not religious.

Sure, it can be. Why can't it be? That makes no sense.

Bunyip

pro scapegoat
Sure, it can be. Why can't it be? That makes no sense.

This is just ridiculous. You claim to be unreligious - but are a monotheist, which is by definition a religious apprehension.

You then claim that atheism is a religion - so your monotheism is not religion, but atheism is? How did you work that out?

Love to hear from you how believing in a theistic god is not religion, but not believing in any god is?

By what definition of atheism, is a theist not religious, but an atheist is?

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
This is just ridiculous. You claim to be unreligious - but are a monotheist, which is by definition a religious apprehension.

You then claim that atheism is a religion - so your monotheism is not religion, but atheism is? How did you work that out?

Love to hear from you how believing in a theistic god is not religion, but not believing in any god is?

By what definition of atheism, is a theist not religious, but an atheist is?

Nope, I said atheism CAN be religious.

Sir Doom

Cooler than most of you
Atheism can be 'religious' in the metaphoric sense. Much like someone can religiously follow the Denver Broncos. Obviously, this is a completely different sort of 'religious' that has nothing at all to do with religions except by comparison. Saying atheism can be religious is either subterfuge to start an argument or complete ignorance of context. Take your pick.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
I think that Atheists don't even ask to themselves if God exists or not.
They believe in Anthropocentrism, that is, man is the center and the goal of everything we can see.
In this vision, there is no place for God, whether he exists or not.

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
Atheism can be 'religious' in the metaphoric sense. Much like someone can religiously follow the Denver Broncos. Obviously, this is a completely different sort of 'religious' that has nothing at all to do with religions except by comparison. Saying atheism can be religious is either subterfuge to start an argument or complete ignorance of context. Take your pick.

No, that's inaccurate. Atheism can very easily be 'religious', it often is, even. You aren't thinking through the contexts actually.

Bunyip

pro scapegoat
They believe in Anthropocentrism, that is, man is the center and the goal of everything we can see.

Speaking as an atheist, I do not subscribe to anthropocentricism, nor do I believe it to have anything to do with atheism. I agree that I see no place for god, but only because the gaps in our knowledge that god was traditionally squeezed into are becoming more and more understood. I would happily believe in god if I saw any good reason to do so.

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
Yes, and that your monotheism is not.

Which is why you are being absurd.

You're using different words, just a heads up.

religion=/=religious.
They aren't really the same meaning. Religion tends to be a set of doctrine, rules, traditions. 'Religious' just means doing something in strict sense, like religiously watching soccer(football), or religiously attending church, etc. It's a pretty broad word in meaning.

Bunyip

pro scapegoat
No, that's inaccurate. Atheism can very easily be 'religious', it often is, even. You aren't thinking through the contexts actually.

Monotheism is the belief in a theistic god - it is a religious apprehension.
Atheism is the absence of that belief, and therefore not a religious apprehension.

I'm amazed you could argue that monotheism is unreligious, but atheism can be.

Sir Doom

Cooler than most of you

Having conversed with literally thousands of atheists over the years, I have to say you've got things a bit backwards.

I've heard plenty of atheists argue that most concepts of God are so anthropomorphic that they can be nothing more than an extension of human ego. That seems to fly in the face of your critique of atheism.

Bunyip

pro scapegoat
You're using different words, just a heads up.

religion=/=religious.
They aren't really the same meaning. Religion tends to be a set of doctrine, rules, traditions. 'Religious' just means doing something in strict sense, like religiously watching soccer(football), or religiously attending church, etc. It's a pretty broad word in meaning.

Spin all you wish, you made a mistake - you said that you are unreligious, but identify as a monotheist. You can not be an unreligious monotheist.

Desert Snake

Veteran Member

Could be, or often the case. That tends to be the impression I get as well. i'm not sure if I've ever encountered another outlook from an atheist.