• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do atheists actually exist?

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member

The classic examples are religions like Raelianism and some forms of Buddhism: they have a community of shared belief, practice, and philosophy, have their own rituals and services, but don't include any gods in their belief system.

They aren't freethinkers or skeptics, but they are atheists.

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
Care to give an example?
Given that knowledge is a justified and true belief, there is a dependency relationship between them. Where there's knowledge there is belief, which is to say that if you know something you also believe it, and where there's belief there is a claim of knowledge, something in which to believe.

TheScholar

Scholar
No, I am talking about Judaism, the Religion. Atheistic Jews are still considered to be practicing Judaism, I've already verified this.

p.s. again, there are other examples as well.

So are lapsed Catholics, and when I was a lapsed Catholic, I was an agnostic.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Hmm atheism can't be a religion? Seems like it could..

I can't really see how that could work.

Atheistic religions, sure, by all means. We should have more of them, even.

But Atheism literally does not have what it takes to actually be a religion.

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
I can't really see how that could work.

Atheistic religions, sure, by all means. We should have more of them, even.

But Atheism literally does not have what it takes to actually be a religion.

Do you consider yourself a hard atheist , because I see you have agnostic listed as well.

I've probably asked you this before..........

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Do you consider yourself a hard atheist , because I see you have agnostic listed as well.

I've probably asked you this before..........

Yes. I am quite certain indeed that there are no deities whatsoever.

All the same, I consider myself an agnostic as well. Admitedly, that does not actually mean much to me personally. In fact it means very little beyond a purely intelectual admission that it is always possible that there is a deity yet I am simply unaware of it.

I am a bit unusual in that while I am a hard line atheist, I also insist that whether or not God exists is ultimately a very minor matter, and should be recognized as such.

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
Yes. I am quite certain indeed that there are no deities whatsoever.

All the same, I consider myself an agnostic as well. Admitedly, that does not actually mean much to me personally. In fact it means very little beyond a purely intelectual admission that it is always possible that there is a deity yet I am simply unaware of it.

I am a bit unusual in that while I am a hard line atheist, I also insist that whether or not God exists is ultimately a very minor matter, and should be recognized as such.

When I see 'agnostic', I think 'possibility for Deity'. That's why I asked.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
When I see 'agnostic', I think 'possibility for Deity'. That's why I asked.

Be my guest, I don't mind being asked that! Nor do I disagree as such.

Yet technically there is also a possibility that Russell's Teapot exists. Or my favorite, that I am the true inheritor of the Throne of Denmark and that I was born in Congo. After having been conceived in Alpha Centauri. And bound to become a werewolf tomorrow.

It is not really possible to prove beyond any doubts that I am not. But I would not say that I am open to that belief, either.

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
Be my guest, I don't mind being asked that! Nor do I disagree as such.

Yet technically there is also a possibility that Russell's Teapot exists. Or my favorite, that I am the true inheritor of the Throne of Denmark and that I was born in Congo. After having been conceived in Alpha Centauri. And bound to become a werewolf tomorrow.

It is not really possible to prove beyond any doubts that I am not. But I would not say that I am open to that belief, either.

Hmm but that sounds like hard atheism to me.......idk..