• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do Catholics Read the Bible Much?

Pariah

Let go
In my humanities class, someone made a joke about how Catholics never read the Bible. Being completely unfamiliar with Christianity, let alone the nuances of Catholicism, I really didn't get it.

Is it true that Catholics place less emphasis on the Bible than other texts and the treatises of the saints?

Quiddity

UndertheInfluenceofGiants
Well, I can tell you what the Catholic Church says (CCC 131-133):

Hence "access to Sacred Scripture ought to be open wide to the Christian faithful."...Therefore, the study of the sacred page should be the very soul of sacred theology...The Church "forcefully and specifically exhorts all the Christian faithful...to learn the surpassing knowledge of Jesus Christ, by frequent reading of the divine Scriptures. Ignorance of the Scriptures is ignorance of Christ.

If you want a fuller understanding of how we view Holy Scripture go here:
http://www.scborromeo.org/ccc/p1s1c2a3.htm#V

Now, this is what the Catholic Church teaches, whether this is what occurs in the everyday lives of Catholics is another story. I know as a Protestant I had several verses memorized and I still do but I will admit that the amount of resources available to Catholics can (and often does) make for lazy Catholics. Cause it’s not just about reading scripture and memorizing for Catholics, but about truly understanding and forming yourself to Christ……and to us it isn’t just about reading the Bible but also the sacraments, Catechism, etc. So you might bump into a Catholic who understands what the Church teaches and hardly ever pick up the Bible or Catechism.

Also, be mindful that our weekly Masses are completely Bible centered. Each Mass we read 3-4 sections from the Bible and this layout has been like this for well over a thousand years. In fact, that is more Bible reading then most Protestant churches I’ve attended! But really, it’s not about quantity, but what you get from the reading.

Hope that answers your question.

logician

I've known a number of Catholics over the years. As far as I know, very few of them ever read the Bible outside of mass.

madhatter85

Transhumanist
I've noticed alot of them don't read the bible, they read the "selections" that they put into thier hymn/bible sections/other messages book.

The Church "forcefully and specifically exhorts all the Christian faithful...to learn the surpassing knowledge of Jesus Christ, by frequent reading of the divine Scriptures. Ignorance of the Scriptures is ignorance of Christ.

that sounds creepily like the Inquisition without the mass murders and ect... I mean of course tell me if i'm wrong but it sounds liek that... "Forcefully...." that doesn't sound very christ-like... could someone who is catholic tell me what they think this means?

MaddLlama

Obstructor of justice
I've noticed alot of them don't read the bible, they read the "selections" that they put into thier hymn/bible sections/other messages book.

that sounds creepily like the Inquisition without the mass murders and ect... I mean of course tell me if i'm wrong but it sounds liek that... "Forcefully...." that doesn't sound very christ-like... could someone who is catholic tell me what they think this means?

Forcefully is a synonym for "strongly". My translation of the statement is "You're not a good Catholic unless you read the Bible".

My observation is that the majority of Christians in the western world are simply pew-warmers who identify as Christian because they're family does,and they happen to celebrate Christian holidays. In this way, I believe that most Christians don't read the Bible.

madhatter85

Transhumanist
I go with my wife's family to thier catholic mass and from what i have noticed though, the catholic church goes alot out of thier way to alter things to thier liking. They read only certain passages, with alot...of elipses...in thier passages... and they ignore certain parts of the bible as if it's not even there.

Comprehend

Res Ipsa Loquitur
Well, I can tell you what the Catholic Church says (CCC 131-133):

Hence "access to Sacred Scripture ought to be open wide to the Christian faithful."...Therefore, the study of the sacred page should be the very soul of sacred theology...The Church "forcefully and specifically exhorts all the Christian faithful...to learn the surpassing knowledge of Jesus Christ, by frequent reading of the divine Scriptures. Ignorance of the Scriptures is ignorance of Christ.

If you want a fuller understanding of how we view Holy Scripture go here:
http://www.scborromeo.org/ccc/p1s1c2a3.htm#V

Now, this is what the Catholic Church teaches, whether this is what occurs in the everyday lives of Catholics is another story. I know as a Protestant I had several verses memorized and I still do but I will admit that the amount of resources available to Catholics can (and often does) make for lazy Catholics. Cause it’s not just about reading scripture and memorizing for Catholics, but about truly understanding and forming yourself to Christ……and to us it isn’t just about reading the Bible but also the sacraments, Catechism, etc. So you might bump into a Catholic who understands what the Church teaches and hardly ever pick up the Bible or Catechism.

Also, be mindful that our weekly Masses are completely Bible centered. Each Mass we read 3-4 sections from the Bible and this layout has been like this for well over a thousand years. In fact, that is more Bible reading then most Protestant churches I’ve attended! But really, it’s not about quantity, but what you get from the reading.

Hope that answers your question.

I had the pleasure of attending mass last month in St. Louis and enjoyed it very much. We did indeed read a number of passages from the bible. I had always wanted to go to mass but don't usually have the opportunity and thought I would just mention that I had a great time and felt very welcome there.

Comprehend

Res Ipsa Loquitur

uh, it says forcefully exhorts... that means they "strongly encourage" scripture reading. Sort of like the church you belong to. If you think our church doesn't forcefully exort people to read the scriptures then we don't belong to the same church.

What could possibly possess you to go out of your way to say that wanting someone to read the scriptures is un-christ-like? You think Jesus doesn't want us to read scriptures?

There is nothing "creepy" or "inquisition-like" about encouraging people to read their scriptures. The only thing creepy around here is your demonization of the Catholic church for no reason.

Comprehend

Res Ipsa Loquitur
I go with my wife's family to thier catholic mass and from what i have noticed though, the catholic church goes alot out of thier way to alter things to thier liking. They read only certain passages, with alot...of elipses...in thier passages... and they ignore certain parts of the bible as if it's not even there.

when is the last time you heard an LDS lesson on the Songs of Solomon? ... oh yeah, we ignore that part of the bible as if it's not even there.

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
Some but not all Christians including Catholics read the Bible.

Like the Anglicans the readings in Their churches cover the entire bible in a three year cycle.
So read it or not they hear it.

Fluffy

A fool
Is it true that Catholics place less emphasis on the Bible than other texts and the treatises of the saints?
No. Catholicism, like the majority of the world's religions, simply has a strong tradition aside from their main holy scripture which they believe has explanatory, cultural, historical and spiritual value. Look at most other religions and you will see a similar example.

Regardless, I think in just about every major world religion (and probably a few of the minor ones), you can find examples of the older "version" of that religion with an extensive body of documents and a newer "version" that is unhappy with the way things are and so defines itself by denouncing oral and written traditions. Catholicism, Hinduism and Orthodox Judaism are examples of the former whilst Protestantism (and more recently the "Born Again" movement), Buddhism and Jainism and finally Reform Judaism are examples of the latter. And several of those went on to define their own traditions as well.

Pariah

Let go
Thank you for the responses.
If Catholics do not read the Bible as much as they should, it seems sufficient to say that they do not need to in order to foster a relationship with God, considering the vast amount of other material available.

Another question then:
What other texts besides the Bible are given high standing or widely read in the Roman Catholic Church and its community?

(I think other Orthodox churches have other scriptures that RC does not read?)

Quiddity

Thank you for the responses.
If Catholics do not read the Bible as much as they should, it seems sufficient to say that they do not need to in order to foster a relationship with God, considering the vast amount of other material available.

Another question then:
What other texts besides the Bible are given high standing or widely read in the Roman Catholic Church and its community?

(I think other Orthodox churches have other scriptures that RC does not read?)

The Cathecism of the Catholic Church

It's not on par with Scripture but it certainly something we hold in high regard.
Many of the documents that come from Rome are also held in high regard (like papal encyclicals).

madhatter85

Transhumanist
The Cathecism of the Catholic Church

It's not on par with Scripture but it certainly something we hold in high regard.
Many of the documents that come from Rome are also held in high regard (like papal encyclicals).

Isn't The Cathecism of the Catholic Church what you guys pull your doctrine out of? Why would it not be "on par" with scripture [Bible, Apocrypha, ect..] seeing as that is the basis and foundation of today's christian religious beliefs. and assuming that the Catholic Church believes there can be no more revelation given, why would they change things? If there can not be any revelation given, then it's certainly not God's will, it would be the Will of the Flesh. correct me if i am wrong?

madhatter85

Transhumanist
No. Catholicism, like the majority of the world's religions, simply has a strong tradition aside from their main holy scripture which they believe has explanatory, cultural, historical and spiritual value. Look at most other religions and you will see a similar example.

Regardless, I think in just about every major world religion (and probably a few of the minor ones), you can find examples of the older "version" of that religion with an extensive body of documents and a newer "version" that is unhappy with the way things are and so defines itself by denouncing oral and written traditions. Catholicism, Hinduism and Orthodox Judaism are examples of the former whilst Protestantism (and more recently the "Born Again" movement), Buddhism and Jainism and finally Reform Judaism are examples of the latter. And several of those went on to define their own traditions as well.

Yes, i agree with you, But i say that these changes were made by the Will of the flesh, that is was not Divine Revelation that invoked the changes in creed. Methodist, Pentacostal, Lutherans, Orthodox.... they all have different ideas and translations of scripture that they belive to be "the way it is" and it was, in every case, one man somehwere that decided this and was crafty enough in speech to sway people to his side. alot branching off the Roman Catholic Church. What's kind of funny is, that Organization of Christ's church is clearly described and defined in the New Testament. Jesus - 12 apostles - The Seventy. All of the Apostles and organizational Leaders were all killed off. But there were still those who believed on him and followed what teachings they still had, and organized thier own church according to thier will in an attempt to continue traditions, but had no official "Priesthood" to Act in god's name.

There has been no Church to follow that same structure of Christ's Original Church for 1800 Years. Untill Joseph Smith revealed the B.o.M. (now i'm not prostelyting, just comparing.) and foudned the LDS church. (and when revelation was given to stop certain practices because they were illegal, they got split off from just like the Catholic church did with all the offshoots. but that was the will of the flesh and not divine revelation for those offshoots LDS and Catholic)

My point in being, that IF any religion actually DID read and study the bible and see the church structure of Christ's Church, would it not make sense to follow that same pattern?

Edit: I'm going to make a thread based on this reply seeign as it's starting to get a little off-topic on my end.

Quiddity

Isn't The Cathecism of the Catholic Church what you guys pull your doctrine out of? Why would it not be "on par" with scripture [Bible, Apocrypha, ect..] seeing as that is the basis and foundation of today's christian religious beliefs. and assuming that the Catholic Church believes there can be no more revelation given, why would they change things? If there can not be any revelation given, then it's certainly not God's will, it would be the Will of the Flesh. correct me if i am wrong?
Well, in it's simplest form, we spin a bottle and wherever it lands, that is what we believe...:angel2:

In all seriousness, our doctrines are derived from Holy Tradition. Scripture is just one part of that (albeit, a large part). Our CCC is basically Holy Tradition put in writing but does not contain the charism of the Holy Spirit in the same way that Scripture does. It basically means that Scripture is fully protected from error where as our CCC can technically contain errors. But you'd be hard pressed to find something in our CCC that isn't on par with what we believe though.

BTW, "changing things" doesn't necessarily equate to changing the meaning of it. By "change" we most always mean we added words to clarify what we already were teaching.

Hope that helps.

madhatter85

Transhumanist
Well, in it's simplest form, we spin a bottle and wherever it lands, that is what we believe...:angel2:

In all seriousness, our doctrines are derived from Holy Tradition. Scripture is just one part of that (albeit, a large part). Our CCC is basically Holy Tradition put in writing but does not contain the charism of the Holy Spirit in the same way that Scripture does. It basically means that Scripture is fully protected from error where as our CCC can technically contain errors. But you'd be hard pressed to find something in our CCC that isn't on par with what we believe though.

BTW, "changing things" doesn't necessarily equate to changing the meaning of it. By "change" we most always mean we added words to clarify what we already were teaching.

Hope that helps.
my reply is here for further discussion http://www.religiousforums.com/foru...zation-bible-look-into-divine.html#post939600