• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

do hindus have a mara?

Mara from the buddhist obstructs the path to enlightenment.... is there a complementary concept in hinduism for those pursuing moksha? ?

much thanks!

Andal

resident hypnotist
Mara from the buddhist obstructs the path to enlightenment.... is there a complementary concept in hinduism for those pursuing moksha? ?

much thanks!

Mara is an assura...if i remember Buddhism correctly. He actively obstructs the path to liberation through various external and internal manipulations. Mara is also a personification of internal psychological states and forces that prevent liberation.

We don't have exactly the same thing. We do have assuras that can hinder people but we also have Maya or illusion. Maya is what obstructs us from seeing our true nature and what reality really is. Maya is not a bad thing because she is an energy of God. Maya exists because we exist in the material world. She is personified but doesn't have to be. Maya simply is our own blindness to reality.

Aum Hari Aum!

WayFarer

Rogue Scholar
Maya exists because we exist in the material world. She is personified but doesn't have to be. Maya simply is our own blindness to reality.

I have always thought of Maya as tending to our ego as a mother would tend to an infant. Feeding it, caring for it, seeing that it has the chance to grow until it may outgrow its need for her. At that point the question becomes do we allow our ego to "stay at home" with its nurturing mother, comfortable in the familiar surroundings, or do we emerge through the veil of illusion and ego to the realm of enlightenment.

(not trying to sidetrack the thread, just another view/angle on Maya is all)

Metempsychosis

Reincarnation of 'Anti-religion'
I think,It is not just asuras,who are mara.Even devatas are jealous of seekers getting enlightened.So,they entice the seekers with women,siddhis etc as the story goes.I am not sure whether such beings exists or perhaps they are all mythological.

Actually,Mara is our own evil nature.This is what I believe anyway.

Last edited by a moderator: